SASS Wire Forum

nevada sweep

bo bean 61280

Sweep from one end of a target array to the other and return with no double taps.

Actually you can start in the middle of 3 targets and go the direction the instructions say. As Manatee said, no double taps.

Fillmore

I disagree with the description but from the Glossary of Sweeps...

Glossary of Sweeps

"Nevada Sweep: Originated by Beans (SASS#316, NV), and sometimes described as “the most common of cowboy sweeps.” In a post on the SASS Wire, Beans said, “… it is always meant to be shot left to right unless the stage directions state [otherwise].” The Nevada Sweep always requires an odd number of rounds, and involves sweeping from one end of the row of targets to the other and back without double-tapping. Five shots on three targets, 1-2-3-2-1. Seven shots on four targets, 1-2-3-4-3-2-1. Nine shots on five targets, 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1."

Fillmore

thanks guys, i'm doing stages in march and i had a thought for a stage, 4 targets in a circle i didnt know what to call it. we have some tall stands and low stands, so, nevada sweep, no double taps. just thinking, might be my problem:>)

Actually you can start in the middle of 3 targets and go the direction the instructions say. As Manatee said, no double taps.

Fillmore

That is not a universally accepted variation.

Don't worry so much about a name, just tell them the order to shoot it - especially with something a little different.

As you can see by the comments, the various names can become confusing. Different locations have unique names. Some of the same sweeps have different names and even different interpretations, so it is best to just spell it out to be certain and avoid confusion.

I disagree with the description but from the Glossary of Sweeps...

Glossary of Sweeps

"Nevada Sweep: Originated by Beans (SASS#316, NV), and sometimes described as “the most common of cowboy sweeps.” In a post on the SASS Wire, Beans said, “… it is always meant to be shot left to right unless the stage directions state [otherwise].” The Nevada Sweep always requires an odd number of rounds, and involves sweeping from one end of the row of targets to the other and back without double-tapping. Five shots on three targets, 1-2-3-2-1. Seven shots on four targets, 1-2-3-4-3-2-1. Nine shots on five targets, 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1."

Fillmore

What's wrong with a 10 shot Nevada Sweep on 4 targets? 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4.

Randy

Randy

Nothing. That's one of the reasons I don't agree with the description.

Fillmore

Randy

Nothing. We do it all the time.

However, I absolutely agree with clarifying the order of the "xxxxxxx" sweep in the stage directions. Sweep names and actual order can vary from region-region and even club-club.

In was always partial to a California sweep...........

It is one I can always remember regardless of how the steel is set!

In was always partial to a California sweep...........

It is one I can always remember regardless of how the steel is set!

Which one??

Cajon Sweep: From Old Scout (SASS# 323, CA). Five consecutive shots on a single target, 1-1-1-1-1.

Cowboy action shooters in general have a lot of fun with this one, and it is humorously known by a variety of names in various parts of the country. For example, Mustang Gregg (SASS#38345, NE) and Cuts Crooked (SASS#36914, “Midwest”) called it the Nebraska Sweep, while Curly McCrae (SASS#27784, MI) called it a California Sweep. R.B. Rooson (SASS#16974, TX) called it the Paradise Pistolero Sweep. Johnny the Kid (SASS#22917, FL) identified it as the Hatbill Sweep. Wire Paladin (SASS#5954, OR) suggested calling this the Chicago Sweep, saying “…you just dump all the rounds of one gun on one target.”

California Sweep: From Old Scout (SASS# 323, CA). “Every other shot must be on the first target. The remaining shots will form a sweep.”

His example suggested eight shots on five targets, 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5. See also Hermit Joe Sweep.

"Glossary of Sweeps"

Hello Ace!

I'll bite? I bet you have a good definition!

Is that the election sweep where they elect a two-thirds majority of the anti-gun party to both state houses, and no matter how you set it, they STEAL our rights? (Ya can't believe the proposed bills right now). :ph34r:/>

Or is it the older version where visiting NeeVadans are swept into the Sheep Dip tank before the match?! ;)/>/>:lol:/>/>

Given a couple more years with this legislature and governor, I sure hope we in CA are still able to welcome our Nevada Pards to a shoot in CA! We actually appreciate your company, and our opportunity to offer a shoot!

Harvey :D/>/>

That is not a universally accepted variation.

I agree. Let's come up with a different name for this target engagement description, "3 targets in a row, 1 shot on the LH target, 3 shots on the middle target, and 1 shot on the RH target, any order, no double taps."

Fillmore

Don't worry so much about a name, just tell them the order to shoot it - especially with something a little different.

As you can see by the comments, the various names can become confusing. Different locations have unique names. Some of the same sweeps have different names and even different interpretations, so it is best to just spell it out to be certain and avoid confusion.

+1 Like a progressive sweep?

Fillmore

They called this sweep (starting on the center of 3 targets)

A" Pea Patch Sweep" a couple of years ago at Winter Range. Named after Pea Patch I guess?

Ringer

I guess you could say that a CalEfornia sweep is when everyone that is fed up leaves and comes to Nevada.

Or you could just write a Pig Iron Sweep. :)

For those not in the know: I was told that Pig Iron Lane (a Georgia shooter) became so well known for getting a P whenever a shotgun order was specified, that instead of writing the stage saying "shoot the shotgun knockdowns in any order," some began to call it a Pig Iron Sweep. Imagine my surprise to find that a fellow cowboy would take a poke at a Pig...Iron. :)

It might have been Judge 'em All Duncan doing the poking. It might have been someone else. I don't know because I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with Pig Iron Disease. How about a sweep called the CRS sweep? What was I talking about?

While traveling around the country for a number of years when the little woman was a travel nurse I found that different areas called the same sweeps by different names. For instance the Bessemer Vigilance Committee from Casper,WY. call a NV sweep a Natrona sweep. The name of the county where Casper is located.

Jasper

thanks guys, i'm doing stages in march and i had a thought for a stage, 4 targets in a circle i didnt know what to call it. we have some tall stands and low stands, so, nevada sweep, no double taps. just thinking, might be my problem:>)

I'm already confused just thinking about what you might be thinking!

Happy trails :unsure:

Something must be in the water these days

The Nevada Sweep was one of the earliest sweeps given a name

Back when Nevada had a great shoot "Stampede" right before EOT

Hundreds & hundreds of shooters would show up, to participate

They came from all over the world to shoot Stampede

The Nevada sweep definition then traveled back home with folks

ya all call it what ya want to

It’s still battle born "Nevada Sweep" round these parts

And in the hearts of many

now NV sweep the three phantom targets in yer mind

:ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/> :ph34r:/>/>