SASS Wire Forum

Shipping pistols to ruger for work?

Major Art Tillery

I have two Ruger Vaqueros in 44-40 that I would like to ship back to Ruger. I have been told that the cylinders are undersized from the factory, and if sent in Ruger says they will open them up to new deminsions. My question is, according to my FFL guy he says I can just send them UPS straight to the factory and not go through an FFL. Is this true? Has anybody did this and if so, what steps did you take? Any info would be greatly appreciated

You can ship your own back to Ruger.Package it in an UNMARKED sturdy box and go to a UPS hub,not a UPS store.They won't take them.Don't have anything on the box that denotes it's a firearm.UPS had a problem with employees stealing firearms a few years back.Not sure if that's been improved on or not,but it's still better than FedEx.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Yep, all of the above.

Plus, you will have to pay for "Next Day" charges (at either Fed Ex or UPS).

I would also insure the package for full retail replacement price---IMO.

Mustang Gregg

Wild West Arms

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Well I can ship out UPS from my work, sounds like that would be the best bet then, plain brown box?

Major AT:

I ain't real sure you can ship it from your work. Ya best check on that.

I reckon you may have to use a genuine UPS depot counter.

Just saying---

Mustang Gregg

If you know an FFL who will help you out, it may be cheaper to pay the ffl the cost of his/her services and ship USPS for you. You can't beat the Post Office for shipping handguns - "if it fits, it ships", and the cost of shipping plus your FFL might be cheaper. You may be surprised (horrified) at the cost of shipping next day air via UPS or Fedex. You must legally tell them whats in the box - if you try to do so without letting them know, you are not only breaking the law but IF your handgun is insured and its lost, they won't pay.

Just a suggestion to consider. I have shipped some handguns for customers in the same situtation and did not charge the full amount, just to help out a good customer. It pays in the long run to build good relationships - until they start trying to beat you to death by buying from Buds all the time. :angry:<_< Loyalty is a two way street. But I digress. B)

Good luck.

MJJ

Good advice about the legalities of shipping to Ruger. One other thought for you...

If you have any custom springs in your guns, be sure to remove them prior to sending the guns back. Ruger restores factory springs to all guns sent to them. (It's a lawyer thing. :angry: ) Sometimes the custom springs are lost in the process. Sometimes they're sent back in an envelope tucked inside the box. Better to be safe than sorry.

Other than the spring issue, which I consider to be a minor inconvenience, Ruger service is very good.

Personal experience in shipping 2 Ruger Vaqueros back to Ruger after both hammers failed to drop enough for firing pin to engage primers.

Called Ruger told them of my problems, also that I would need the pistols in 2 weeks for a match. They took care of everything, I just had to box up, UPS came to my door with labels. Had both pistols back in 10 days overnighted after their repairs.

Ruger has been very good on parts also, transfer bar replacement, etc. never a charge, and usually had the parts in my hand in less then 7 days. MT

Per FedEx & UPS rules. Handguns must be shipped overnight and according to law you must tell them the box contains firearms but there cannot be anything on the outside of the box to denote that there are guns inside. It will probably run you about $80 to ship and insure two guns. If you diy Ruger can send them back direct to you.

A FFL dealer can ship them for you via USPS insured Priority Mail for a lot less. But Ruger will have to ship them back to him and you'll have to pick them up at his shop.

Before you do anything call Ruger and see if they will send a FedEx or UPS will call label & box since it is a factory defect. If so, the shipper will pick them up @ your door @ your convenience. Doesn't hurt to ask and it might save you a bunch of money.

I have two Ruger Vaqueros in 44-40 that I would like to ship back to Ruger. I have been told that the cylinders are undersized from the factory, and if sent in Ruger says they will open them up to new deminsions. My question is, according to my FFL guy he says I can just send them UPS straight to the factory and not go through an FFL. Is this true? Has anybody did this and if so, what steps did you take? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Before you waste shipping costs (which are substantial on handguns) what makes you think your gun needs work? Have you measured the throats? Does it shoot poorly? If you pull the trigger, it goes bang and hits the targets why worry what someone "told" you. If there is indeed a problem, have you looked for a local smith? Might be cheaper for someone local to ream the throats to size rather than mailing them to Ruger.

If you take it to UPS or FEDEX and try to insure it for the real value (I think it's over $500) they will want to open the package and see that it's properly packaged and not predamaged, at least that's what they told me. They said good luck getting reimbursed if they haven't been inspected. YMMV

I have measured the cylinders... Undersized at .425 with the barrels more around .429... Didn't realize the shipping would be so much. It may be best to see if they would cover the shipping, if not I may just have a gunsmith open them up a bit.

I have measured the cylinders... Undersized at .425 with the barrels more around .429... Didn't realize the shipping would be so much. It may be best to see if they would cover the shipping, if not I may just have a gunsmith open them up a bit.

Try calling Ruger and see if you can just send the cylinders. You don't need the whole gun to ream the throats.

Try calling Ruger and see if you can just send the cylinders. You don't need the whole gun to ream the throats.

Good point and no firearms regs to hassle with either.

They may be undersized like you say, but if they still shoot good and you hit the targets, why bother, I have 6 sets of rugers and they are all undersized and still shoot good, most of mine are 45LC and one set is 357, you could buy the reamer and pilots from Brownells and do it yourself if you want to, it's not that hard, also you could find a local gunsmith to do it and save on shipping which is very high for handguns. The gunsmith route would be cheaper than buying the reamer and pilots which run around $150 from Brownells, most likely a gunsmith would charge around $50, that is a guess since I don't know for sure

Or see if you can just send the cylinders to Ruger like Larson said, a whole lot cheaper to send that way, if Ruger would do it that way

All for now JD Trampas

Archived