SASS Wire Forum

Marlin gets out of the pistol Cal. carbine biz

Doc Windshadow

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/chris-dumm/r-i-p-marlin-pistol-caliber-carbines/

I would love to be the fly on the wall at a CAS match when some one shows up with that CT fore end cap actually it would not be hard to tune a laser to not be visible to naked eye view but with a matched color of shooting glasses lens be seen (note; not IR band but near UV band I recall reading about card sharps cheating using a near UV bad laser system)

Apparently The Freedom Group never heard of SASS.

Cowboy Action Shooting has been and is the fastest growing shooting sport in the game .

Can you say cut off your nose to spite your face .

Uberti ,Rossi, Henry and now the new Winchester understand the demand for pistol caliber carbines .

The Freedom Group (Marlin) will see the demand , But it will take a some time, and SASS and its shooters will need turn there backs on The Freedom Group !

MYSELF I sold my 3 marlins last year .

I bought 3 new Rossi 92s and never looked back .

The Rossi 92 is a very good gun for the money and shoot great !

R.I.P Marlin .

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Well Redwing is in the USA-built 1873 business now.

May some entrepeneur can start making copies of 1894 Marlins. :unsure:

Mustang Gregg

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, I think the rumors of the death of pistol caliber Marlin 94's may be a bit premature given some things I've read and heard recently. Let's hope so, anyway.

While unfortuate not unexpected. I wonder how much the market for pistol caliber carbines had shrunk to? CAS is a very small market with broad selection of long guns to choose from. Even if CAS shooters own two Marlins (one for back-up) that remains a small number so Marlin must look for elsewhere for sales. I view other areas for sales also small; plinking (unless you reload it is expensive to shoot), small game hunting (sssseh! I'm hunting wabbit), varmints, and home defense. It probably really shines as a urban home defense gun but according to the gun rags you have to have a $2,000+ custom 1911 to stop the zombies. The unwashed mashes have to settle for tricked out Glocks ( :P:P incoming!!! :P:P )

I just talked to Marlin Customer Service. They claim this report is absolutely false. They claim production will again start in early first quarter 2012. They also wanted the address of this web site so they could respond directly.

I just talked to Marlin Customer Service. They claim this report is absolutely false. They claim production will again start in early first quarter 2012. They also wanted the address of this web site so they could respond directly.

WHAT????? But it was on the INTERNET!!!! It MUST be true!!!!!!

Thanks, GCK - as Joe Friday used to say - "Just the facts, ma'am".

LL

I think Remington will eventually get it right but.....

Remember that the "Freedom Group" is the same bunch that wrecked Chrysler. It took the intervention of Fiat to save that company; Chrysler sales have been surging recently. I anticipate the same basic process with Remington is at work here; they will almost fail and someone (probably foreign) will step in and buy it at firesale prices.

Meanwhile I'm keeping the Marlins I have.

DD

I think Remington will eventually get it right but.....

Remember that the "Freedom Group" is the same bunch that wrecked Chrysler. It took the intervention of Fiat to save that company; Chrysler sales have been surging recently. I anticipate the same basic process with Remington is at work here; they will almost fail and someone (probably foreign) will step in and buy it at firesale prices.

Meanwhile I'm keeping the Marlins I have.

DD

Good point they are old school asset strippers in a new suit but if Marlin is not reading the Truth about guns blog where this turned up I would be amazed given the tail of mess-ups there on the review of their products this year (there are links to the whole sad tale in the article I linked to so it sounds like Mr. Fargo and Marlin cust. service had a long working relationship).

I sure hope that these fine old firms get out of the clutches of Engulf and Devour inc and back out on their own with a sense of the modern market as well as respect for their heritage.

Good point they are old school asset strippers in a new suit but if Marlin is not reading the Truth about guns blog where this turned up I would be amazed given the tail of mess-ups there on the review of their products this year (there are links to the whole sad tale in the article I linked to so it sounds like Mr. Fargo and Marlin cust. service had a long working relationship).

I sure hope that these fine old firms get out of the clutches of Engulf and Devour inc and back out on their own with a sense of the modern market as well as respect for their heritage.

Doc:

I'm not sure that's a fair characterization of Cerberus (the mother of Freedom Group). The Chrysler debacle was a combination of events, including spectacularly poor timing. They did not buy Chrysler to strip it, and they have not stripped other acquisitions. They lost their shirts in Chrysler, but took a lot of steps to protect their investors.

Steve Feinberg, the man behind Cerberus, is an avid hunter, a big-time Republican donor, and is known as a guy who lives much more simply and less extravagantly than others in comparable positions. He is, however, a guy in business to make money, and as much as I share your appreciation for the old firms, they need to make a both a decent product and a profit to survive as something other than a collectible.

LL

Recent, very detailed, straightforward article about Freedom Group/Cerebus and gun manufacturing, from the business section of the NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/business/how-freedom-group-became-the-gun-industrys-giant.html?scp=1&sq=freedom%20group&st=cse

I read the NYT article and this stood out:

"As of the end of September, the company had nearly half a billion dollars in debt, according to a third-quarter earnings report available on the Freedom Group’s Web site. That includes about $225 million in debt that the company raised last year to pay itself a special dividend used to buy back preferred stock from Cerberus, according to a company prospectus filed with the S.E.C."

In debt for $500 million? Wow!

Forget gold, buy Marlins.

DD

I read the NYT article and this stood out:

"As of the end of September, the company had nearly half a billion dollars in debt, according to a third-quarter earnings report available on the Freedom Group’s Web site. That includes about $225 million in debt that the company raised last year to pay itself a special dividend used to buy back preferred stock from Cerberus, according to a company prospectus filed with the S.E.C."

In debt for $500 million? Wow!

Forget gold, buy Marlins.

D

Well, it's all relative.

It is not unusual for a company of this type to be heavily leveraged.

For a complete discussion of financials, as well as a very intriguing look inside the operations of a guns/ammo manufacturer (and the challanges they face in our world), take a look at FGI's Annual Report for last year.

http://www.freedom-group.com/2010-10-K.pdf

LL

I hope ya gave it to 'em.

I'd like to see a Remington/Marlin rep buy a SASS membership and participate in these discussions. Heck, our Italian pards do!

Archived