SASS Wire Forum

Veterans claiming "free food" and other gifts from companies

I don't want to hijack 40's thread about restaurants offering free meals to veterans this November 11th, but I'd like the Saloon's opinion on something I've been pondering...

How do you feel about retired and honorably discharged veterans asking for discounts such as those being offered next week?

When I was on active duty 20+ years ago, I always asked if a company, restaurant, or store had a military discount. Often they did and I was grateful for whatever savings that would help extend my meager paycheck. When traveling in Class As, the discounts just showed up in a variety of ways, and I was grateful for every one.

At my current stage of life, I just feel different about it all. Somehow I don't feel right to ask about a discount. Even if a restaurant advertises a military discount, I don't volunteer that I served unless the waitress asks. I wear my gray hair in a high and tight so the topic comes up occasionally. I'll thank her for the discount, and then add it to her tip.

A few months ago the checkout lady at Home Depot noticed my USAA credit card and asked if I'd served. She then took 10% off the bill and told me to always ask for the military discount which they offered. For some reason, it just didn't feel right the next time to ask for the discount.

My employer sent a notice around last week that they're having a "Veterans Day celebration" and wanted to invite all vets down to the cafeteria for a presentation and lunch. I might go. I might not. It would just feel awkward to show up so that somebody who doesn't know me can say nice things about veterans.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people who are comfortable asking for the discounts. I really don't. I'm happy that companies want to show gratitude to veterans in any way possible, and I do make mental notes and try to support those restaurants when I can.

And you better bet your sweet arse that when I'm at a concert and the Armed Forces Medley gets played, I'll be the one singing loudest and proudest about them caissons that keep rollin' along. :FlagAm:

I buy drinks and dinners for the young ones in uniform. I've been to funerals of strangers to say thanks to the family. I accept discounts when offered, but am much more comfortable showing than receiving gratitude.

Maybe I'm just at a stage of life where I've been given so much, that it feels better to give. I don't know. Maybe I'm just weird.

Thanks for listening. Thank you to all who serve.

I applaud any company that helps those that have laid it on the line. I am n a financial position where I am not worried about my finances but there are plenty of Honorable Souls out there that can use the help. I refuse to label it a hand out or entitlement. It is a thank you. I actually do visit these establishments but I say thank you and let them use that meal for somebody that needs it. Every free meal that I pass on allows one more person that needs it to get by another day with less of a struggle.

Just my views.

The companies are voluntarily offering the Veteran's discounts. While some companies may be doing it altruistically, the bottom line is it brings them publicity, more business and they are not losing any profit. Less than 1% of Americans have served.

If you don't feel like partaking that's fine. Some vets could use the discount in these hard times.

It's a matter of personal choice.

It's not the same as a cop expecting free coffee in exchange for hanging around the donut shop.

Mmmm donuts.

What were we talking about?

I always ask. If it's a discount at a restaurant I add the difference to the tip. If it's a free meal, I give a generous tip and put the cost of the meal in the first Salvation Army bucket I see. I also make a habit of sending an email to the management thanking them and (usually) complimenting the waitress or waiter.

I'm grateful for the thought, but anyone looking at me can tell I don't need free food.

Willie Wheelgun and I went last year and I would like to do it again this year. Not so much for a free meal, but for the association with others that served. Lord knows that my service was not as visible as others, but I served out of love and respect for my country. When the check comes, I usually give it in the form of a tip to the waitress. I am sure the chain makes enough profit to cover the meals they serve. I look at it as a win win win situation for the Vets and for the waitress/waiter and the company.

:FlagAm:

And besides that Okie, I am just cheap.

I have no problem with veterans asking for a discount, that is to say, inquiring about a discount. What I do have a problem with, and this seems to have become more prevalent over the past several years, is the expectation of a discount. I also have issues with those who use their military status to avoid traffic tickets, for example. How about you just obey the stinking law?

I see no harm in taking a "military discount" if fairly earned. I generally don't ask, though. I've got enough gray hair to the the "senior citizen discount." :)

Last the THE most expensive restaurant in Knoxville (The Orangery) offered free entre's to veterans. This place is "a la carte" and you have to pay for sides, salad, etc. My wife and I are both retired Navy, our son former Army, and his fiance' civilian. We took them up on their offer. The tab for dinner was still impressive. Almost as impressive as the food!!! :)

Again, I see no harm in taking advantage, nor do see any harm in declining.

SQQ

I too was asked at checkout if I was a veteran....and given a 10 percent discount...She said it was store policy. I thought it was a nice gesture to publicly thank us for our service to the country. I have gone to the "Golden Corral" and taken my son who is not a veteran.....and we grab a table with other vets and share stories of our military service.

I salute you that give in other ways to repay the generosity. That's what makes us who we are. Proud Veterans. I still get a chill at the playing of the national anthemn and proudly stand, salute and sing....even with an offkey voice.

KK

Thanks to all that served and are serving.

I usually just don't think about it, unless there is a sign. If I see a sign, I will show my ID and gratefully accept the discount. I have always been appreciative and made every attempt to let the company know. It comes in handy for me when I do remember, because I still have two kids at home, one getting ready to go to college, I still have my own student loans outstanding, and am now jobless.

Do I consider it a hand out or an entitlement? Absolutely not. It is their way of offering their thanks, and has been mentioned, it probably doesn't do the companies any harm financially in asking it. I should say I have never gone actively looking for one, particularly on Veteran's Day.

I see no reason that a vet shouldn't ask. No one is forcing a company to give discounts to vets. No harm in asking if they do that. And no company will take a loss from giving those discounts. At most they don't make as much profit on the sales to vets.

I don't want to hijack 40's thread about restaurants offering free meals to veterans this November 11th, but I'd like the Saloon's opinion on something I've been pondering...

How do you feel about retired and honorably discharged veterans asking for discounts such as those being offered next week?

When I was on active duty 20+ years ago, I always asked if a company, restaurant, or store had a military discount. Often they did and I was grateful for whatever savings that would help extend my meager paycheck. When traveling in Class As, the discounts just showed up in a variety of ways, and I was grateful for every one.

At my current stage of life, I just feel different about it all. Somehow I don't feel right to ask about a discount. Even if a restaurant advertises a military discount, I don't volunteer that I served unless the waitress asks. I wear my gray hair in a high and tight so the topic comes up occasionally. I'll thank her for the discount, and then add it to her tip.

A few months ago the checkout lady at Home Depot noticed my USAA credit card and asked if I'd served. She then took 10% off the bill and told me to always ask for the military discount which they offered. For some reason, it just didn't feel right the next time to ask for the discount.

My employer sent a notice around last week that they're having a "Veterans Day celebration" and wanted to invite all vets down to the cafeteria for a presentation and lunch. I might go. I might not. It would just feel awkward to show up so that somebody who doesn't know me can say nice things about veterans.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people who are comfortable asking for the discounts. I really don't. I'm happy that companies want to show gratitude to veterans in any way possible, and I do make mental notes and try to support those restaurants when I can.

And you better bet your sweet arse that when I'm at a concert and the Armed Forces Medley gets played, I'll be the one singing loudest and proudest about them caissons that keep rollin' along. :FlagAm:

I buy drinks and dinners for the young ones in uniform. I've been to funerals of strangers to say thanks to the family. I accept discounts when offered, but am much more comfortable showing than receiving gratitude.

Maybe I'm just at a stage of life where I've been given so much, that it feels better to give. I don't know. Maybe I'm just weird.

Thanks for listening. Thank you to all who serve.

Charlies.. you served.. so if you want them take them... I know people who jump at the chance of a discount based on age, but you need to watch every dime as you age because at some point your income will be fixed and what you once had you will not have. People should be proud of their age, and what they have done.. geesh.. getting old is a badge of honor with my family. You have great wisdom as you age. Just because you take a discount for a senior does not mean you're old. it means your saving your bucks for toys.. lol..

Just keep that in mind, use the discounts for toys to enjoy the golden years. Charlies, my dad is 92 and he is my source of contant wisdom and support and love. His age compounds his knowledge to me. I like older guys and gals cuz they have charactor, and the fun of life, as well as the wisdom of life. Age brings respect in some cultures.. and mine is one of them.

It's not the same as a cop expecting free coffee in exchange for hanging around the donut shop.

Mmmm donuts.

What were we talking about?

UB, you've got a glazed look in your eye! :lol::D:lol::D

I've never been given, nor have I asked for a veteran's discount. I sure got nothing against them or the folks that ask for them, it just never occurs to me to ask. On occasion, I've had a meal bought for me because I was wearing my riding leathers before or after a PGR mission which show that I'm a vet, but that's about it. I would sure patronize those companies offering discounts to all vets - great PR for them and a salute and a nod of respect to the vets.

When they advertise the discount they leave some people with a positive association with their name, encouraging those people to shop their stores. If no one asks for the discount they get to keep all of the profit from the ads. If all of the eligible vets take advantage of the discount they are still ahead. I asked for the discount once and the kid at the register asked for an id. I pointed out that most vets do not have an id. I got the discount after he checked with his manager.

Bon Appetite :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Chili’s – free meal, Friday, Nov. 11. Chili’s is offering all military veterans past and present their choice of one of 6 meals. This offer is available during business hours on November 11, 2011 at participating Chili’s in the U.S. only. Dine-in from limited menu only; beverages and gratuity not included. Veterans and active duty military simply show proof of military service. Visit their website to find locations.

Golden Corral – Free meal, Monday Nov. 14: The 10th annual Golden Corral Military Appreciation dinner will be held on Monday, November 14, 2011 from 5 pm to 9 pm in all Golden Corral Restaurants nationwide. The free “thank you” dinner is available to any person who has ever served in the United States Military. If you are a veteran, retired, currently serving, in the National Guard or Reserves, you are invited to participate in Golden Corral’s Military Appreciation Monday dinner. For more information visit

Famous Dave’s – Friday Nov. 11th. Free or discounted meals on Veterans Day. Offer varies by location, please check the Famous Dave’s Veteran’s Day page or call your local restaurant for more information.

Hooters – Free Meal, Friday, Nov. 11. Hooter’s is serving up a free meal to military veterans all day on Veterans Day. Offer good for all veterans and active duty military personnel. Get 10 Free Wings – Boneless or Regular, drink purchase required. Offer valid at participating Hooters only; open to all active duty and military veterans with valid military ID or proof of military service. For more information, visit, www.HootersVeteransDay.com.

Outback Steakhouse – A week of Free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes Monday Nov. 7 – Friday Nov. 11. Outback Steakhouse is honoring America’s military veterans by offering active duty military and veterans a free Bloomin’ Onion and a Coca-Cola product during the week leading up to

Subway – Free Six Inch Sub, November 11, 2011. Select SUBWAY® Restaurants will offer a FREE six inch sub or flatbread to military veterans on Veteran’s Day. This offer is valid only on November 11, 2011 at

Texas Roadhouse – free lunch, Friday, Nov. 11 (11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.). Every Texas Roadhouse location across the country will participate in the free lunch event to honor the men and women of our armed forces. Offer good for All veterans – including all active, retired or former U.S. military

Bon Appetite :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Chili’s – free meal, Friday, Nov. 11. Chili’s is offering all military veterans past and present their choice of one of 6 meals. This offer is available during business hours on November 11, 2011 at participating Chili’s in the U.S. only. Dine-in from limited menu only; beverages and gratuity not included. Veterans and active duty military simply show proof of military service. Visit their website to find locations.

Golden Corral – Free meal, Monday Nov. 14: The 10th annual Golden Corral Military Appreciation dinner will be held on Monday, November 14, 2011 from 5 pm to 9 pm in all Golden Corral Restaurants nationwide. The free “thank you” dinner is available to any person who has ever served in the United States Military. If you are a veteran, retired, currently serving, in the National Guard or Reserves, you are invited to participate in Golden Corral’s Military Appreciation Monday dinner. For more information visit

Famous Dave’s – Friday Nov. 11th. Free or discounted meals on Veterans Day. Offer varies by location, please check the Famous Dave’s Veteran’s Day page or call your local restaurant for more information.

Hooters – Free Meal, Friday, Nov. 11. Hooter’s is serving up a free meal to military veterans all day on Veterans Day. Offer good for all veterans and active duty military personnel. Get 10 Free Wings – Boneless or Regular, drink purchase required. Offer valid at participating Hooters only; open to all active duty and military veterans with valid military ID or proof of military service. For more information, visit, www.HootersVeteransDay.com.

Outback Steakhouse – A week of Free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes Monday Nov. 7 – Friday Nov. 11. Outback Steakhouse is honoring America’s military veterans by offering active duty military and veterans a free Bloomin’ Onion and a Coca-Cola product during the week leading up to

Subway – Free Six Inch Sub, November 11, 2011. Select SUBWAY® Restaurants will offer a FREE six inch sub or flatbread to military veterans on Veteran’s Day. This offer is valid only on November 11, 2011 at

Texas Roadhouse – free lunch, Friday, Nov. 11 (11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.). Every Texas Roadhouse location across the country will participate in the free lunch event to honor the men and women of our armed forces. Offer good for All veterans – including all active, retired or former U.S. military

Subway's the only close one to me. Thank goodness. I need to lose some weight. ;)

I ask sometimes, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if they give a Vet a discount I will be back! There are to different auto parts stores close to my house, one gives a discount one does not. The one that gives the discount is actually the more expensive of the two, but they get first chance at my business.

Archived