SASS Wire Forum

To Reload or Not Reload That Is The Question

Wyandot Jim

Even with the O'Sh!* factor I can make up a SG target in about 2.5 seconds and I have lost a lot of matches by less than a second so I look at it as gaining back 2.5 seconds NOT losing 5. Also since I shoot an SXS "if" I miss the make up (which I can't remember doing) I still get another try for only a fraction of a second (two for the time of one virtually with a double). Worst case you only gain back 1.5 to 2 seconds but you still end up with and overall lower time than if you leave it up.

If ya' wanna' get REAL good at reloading the rifle just shoot a bad one for a year......that will get your reloads down pat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAu4aL1wYMA

Yer video don't play...says Private!!

I shoot til I'm out of available ammo, then cuss if one is still standing. I refuse to let them steel bushwhackers best me!

At our match in PSJ this past Saturday, I was at the loading table, had all my guns ready & looked down to see that I had forgotten to refill my shotgun loops. I had 4 rounds & the stage called for 4 rounds...to be safe, I borrowed 4 from my pard that was working the loading table. Well, you can guess what happened...MISS! If I hadn't borrowed those extras, I would have had a shotgun miss to go with the pistol & rifle misses that day.

Shot a stage over the weekend.. now :mellow: .. I ain't near a premier shooter :blink: I don't shoot a stage in the teens

More of a 25-28 second per stage shooter average..

The stage was 12 shotgun.. all KD's.. 3 of the KD's launched flyers.. must engage.. but if missed..

can be made up with stationary birds..

I missed 2 flyers... OK I gotta make up 2 stationary birds.. or take 2 misses...

Now I've got to shoot 14 rounds...

I shot the stage in 33.69 seconds.. that's 2.4 per shot.. but it's 4.8 per 2 round load.. always loading 2..

If I'd only missed 1.. I still would have picked up .2 of a second because it takes me 4.8 per reload...

but since I missed 2...

It only took me a fraction of a second to pull the extra trigger..

so taking 4.8 seconds saved me 10 seconds..that's 5.2 seconds to the good side :)

How's that fer cypherin'

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I cyphered right :blush:

Rance,

Thanks, Very go " Cypherin" info. I also think there are a few shooters that wish the could shoot 10-10-4 with any kind of movement in 25-28 :rolleyes: That ain't to shabby.

I ran the timer the last few matches, wish I would have seen what the time was from finishing the first 2 shucking reload and bang bang. 4.8 sounds about right for an avg shooter, I think. If it would have been one target make up the time would have been about the same.

The reason I have been wanting to know what my raw times are is so I can compare myself to other shooters in the raw time. Before I go to a major match I like to check out the compitition by looking at their raw times.

Since I shoot Black powder most of the time. There are many times I can't even see the second SG target. Just shoot where I think it is and depend on the counters to tell me if it is down or not. Works most of the time.

Thanks for all your post and time taken

WJ

The reason I have been wanting to know what my raw times are is so I can compare myself to other shooters in the raw time. Before I go to a major match I like to check out the compitition by looking at their raw times.

WJ, the timers I am familiar with record the time for every shot and not just the final time. You can have the timer operator give you the elasped time to the next to the last shot if you need it. Just ask the TO. Unless you are at a big match they should have time while your brass is picked up and the SG targets reset.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't it come down to the stage instructions.

Knock down 4 shotgun targets with 4 rounds, means you only get 4 shots. If you miss one it's a miss.

Knock down 4 shotgun targets with 4+ rounds means shoot them until they are all down. I don't see a choice there. Or it could be a miss and a "P" for not following stage instructions.

Maybe there is a stage description for shotguns that would allow a choice not to reload. I haven't seen one.

The rifle reload is for a jacked out round. If you miss you don't get to reload and try again.

Ike

Some (many?) clubs don't allow a choice. The stage instructions state, "knockdowns must go down". So you shoot until you run out of shells or they are all down.

If given the choice, my decision would be based on whether or not I am trying for a clean match. I can take a make-up shot in less than 5 seconds, but I would not take more than one, ever.

That is not it. It is "must go down or be counted as a miss."

This is a GAME and a fantasy GAME at that. The targets are not steel, but BAD GUYS. I'm the GOOD GUY. I'm trying

to save my life and protect the WEST from the BAD GUYS. I shoot till they're all DEAD, not wounded to shoot me in the back as I walk away. So I say Shoot and keep Shooting till they all down and DEAD. It's only a GAME. Who cares about the 10-10-4 time?

I say No Quarter...Shoot 'em all. Just sayin' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Jake

I gotta float my stick with Big Jake, "Kill 'em all... let God sort 'em out!" sez I!

:FlagAm:

First off friend I don't end up at the last round ta figger out I jacked one out! Second at mule camp some years ago Long Hunter and I were shooting together on side match day. On a reload stage he was besting me 1 second every time we shot this warm up stage. I was loading in tha side he was over tha top, he showed me how ta set up tha rifle for this NO MATTER WHAT THA LOADED LENGTH WAS (38) as there's no need ta waste money fer 357 brass.

As far as tha shotgun I can't beat my Grandma from a cold start on 4 shots on sidematch day! BUT through practice during a stage run I'VE never felt undergunned. Main thing your shooting a SXS Rule #1 you miss you lose. Tha best THERE WAS Macon Rounds was slower than even me. HE NEVER MISSED.

RRR

Ain't that the truth for me as well. BUT during a stage I pretty consistently can get 2 shots off from my SxS in 2 seconds, sometimes less. My rifle reloads suck (I have tried over the top, left hand grab and load, right hand grab and load - maybe need a lot more practice :) ) and they still are around 2.8- 3 secs most of the time.

I always reload for the sg KD's and jacked out rifle rounds - after all I am there to shoot so a few more shots is good by me :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Well Guys,

I finally got around to shooting in the fastest SxS side match at Defend Ft Parker. Time was 8.23 sec for 6 rounds shooting black powder. Why BP was all I had. Sooooooooooooooo I guess I will be reloading from now on.

Wyandot

I know I can reload and fire two with my SxS in less than five seconds, so I never leave a SG target standing. I also know I can reload and fire 1 with my '73 (from the side) in less than 5, so if the stage instructions allow it that's what I do. I've never reloaded a pistol on the clock and my rugers don't have free spin pawls, so in that case I would take the miss.

Let me see if'n I understand.

Four Yankees a shooting at me.

I shoot back,four shots from my SxS.

By some twist of fate, planets alignment, full moon or whatever, there is one Yankee still standing.

You're a asking how many Cowpokes would just turn their backs and mosey on out of there or what?

Tell you what my what would be. Load both barrels, aim, pull both triggers. Either that Yankee goes down for sure or it's his lucky day...until I load two more and both barrels again!

Archived