SASS Wire Forum

Pistol grip vs. straight stock '73

This has probably been discussed several times, but I did a search and couldn't find it.

I'm planning to buy a '73 (38/357). I'm going to buy one and would like some input on straight vs pistol grip stock. I like the checkered pistol grip but would like to know if there is any reason to go with a straight stock instead.

I would also like some thoughts on 18" vs 20" barrel.

Right now I plan to get it from Cody unless there is a good reason to go with someone else. I know there are plenty of good Gunsmiths to get one from.

I have shot a Marlin since I started so I know very little about a '73, all input is appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

My Uberti '73 is a 18.5" half-oct with a straight grip. I like the straight grip only because my original '73 and '92 are straoght, but the pistol grip does seem to point better for me.

The 18" barrel will only hold ten .38's. You have to trim the magazine sprng too much to hold ten .357's to be consistent with the .38s also. My opinion, I am sure that others will disagree with me.

If you like the look of the pistol grip, then that is the gun to use. It's all about what you are accustomed to and even then you can move between the pistol grip to the straight stock without effort. My current rifle is a pistol grip 18.5" octagon barrel. I had problems with it on the fifth stage at the open. I shot the second day with a straight stock gun with a 20" barrel. I have a new rifle in the works that is a straight stock (rare factory checkered gun) that has the half octagon, half round barrel and it is an 18" gun. My money says I can shoot the three rifles equally and my money says you could too. Get what you like and you'll be happy.

Your question about the stocks is purely a personal preference thing. Since you haven't been shooting a '73 and don't have a personal preference, go with what you like.

As far as the action work goes, I'm not a proponent of the "cut and weld" short stroke. I prefer replacing the link sets and Carrier Block Arm. Since you want to go with "ready to run" rifle, I'd suggest you contact the Cowboys and Indian Store in CA, Longhunter Shooting Supply in TX or Pioneer Gunworks in Oregon. Cut and weld uses no "new" parts and once done, it is done. You can't go back the other way without replacing most of the moving parts. Cut and weld also doesn't result in what is called the "Super Short Stroke." With link sets, you get the best of the short stroke world. Very short lever throw, replaceable parts and you can return the rifle to stock in minutes from your own parts bag.

Understanding, the most important part is the work that is done to the rifle parts BEFORE the short stroke is done. Without the reduced springs, smoothed internal areas and parts, you won' be happy with what you wind up with. ALL of the shops I have mentioned do superb work and stand behind it as well. So do I, but I don't work by mail so I'm out unless you live in Pennsyltuckey.

Coffinmaker

Sorry, just notice you live in Tennessee, so you might want to contact Ron Snover, The Ottaway Smith. Ron makes his own SS kits and his kits are the Rolls Royce of kits.

Coffinmaker

RSE,

I'll back Bucks play on this. Not so much difference between the two that you couldn't adjust. I put a straight stocked rifle on top of a pistol grip one and the turn doesn't really start until the point your ring finger will be, unless you have really thick fingers.

My pistol grip rifle is an ounce or two heavier than a similar straight stocked rifle, which shifts the balance point back slightly, which I personally like. But not so much difference you couldn't adapt.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

My money says I can shoot the three rifles equally and my money says you could too. Get what you like and you'll be happy.

Hey Buck...long as you got your wallet out could you use some of your money to buy me a new '73? :)

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

I've been shooting a Marlin for the last 3 years in CAS, today a Pard let me use his pistol grip 73 for most of the match, I wondered if the grip would throw me off as the Marlin has the straight grip. I really didn't notice it at all.

:FlagAm: Maybe picking one up from a flat surface gives the edge to a pistol grip??....Not too much though.

But really do like that both my rifle and my shotgun are the same. FWIW

PD

Thanks for all the replies. My shotguns are all pistol grip so I guess it would make since to have the same style on a rifle.

Coffinmaker, I'll check out some of the others.

Thanks

Randy

Hi Randy!

Someone beat me to it but having shotgun and rifle grips the same works good for me as well. Also, I recall discussed here before that the pistol grip tends to have the rear set elevated a bit compared to the straight stock and I agree with that observation. Grab one of each and see which one you like!!!! Good luck!

Jimmy Stewart's 1 of 1000 was straight stocked. Most rifles and carbines in TV and film are straight stocked. For some reason, the pistol grip just doesn't look right. :rolleyes:

For me for the rifle between a pistol grip or straight stock is a preference in looks. The rifle and shotgun, while they are both long guns, are used in a completely different manner.

For the shotgun you are pulling the gun into your shoulder with your trigger hand. For the most of us this hand will control how much pressure is put on the shoulder, operate the opening lever and control where the gun is pointed. The off hand is the one actually used in operating the pump and loading. I'd say the pistol grip is most useful for the shotgun.

For the rifle the off hand does the work of pulling the gun into your shoulder and pointing it where you want the bullet to go. The Trigger hand only operates the lever and squeezes the trigger. Pistol grip or straight stock for the rifle make very little operational difference.

In my opinion the only real consideration between the rifles mentioned is the butt of the stock. I prefer the carbine type because it mounts easier for me. Others prefer the rifle type. The choice is yours.

While I agree with those who say it is a matter of personal preference, I know it can be difficult determining that preference when one approaches an option with an open mind.

Here' my recommendation: find a place where such guns can be handled and handle them. A gun show, CAS match,or particular gunshop might do, although you may have to work with one '73 example at a time. Look at an object and think "target" with the rifle at high ready then throw the rifle up to engage the object. Work the action when permissible and repeat the drill a few times. One of the two styles of stock may indeed work a little faster and more naturally. Remember to lock your eyes on your target first and then pay atttention as to how close the sights natuarally fall into place (or not).

I first used this drill to figure out which mainspring housing to use on my 1911s. :FlagAm:

See if you can borrow one of each. Take each one in turn from port arms and, with your eyes closed, bring them up to your shoulder. When you get it to your shouder, open your shooting eye and see which one has the sights on target better. A pistol grip stock will usually come "on sight" better for a person with a longer neck. And the straight stock will usually come "on sight" better for a person with a shorter neck. That's the practical side of the decision. Other than that, it's a Ford vs. Chevy argument.

(Pistol grips stocks and Fords are best. ;) )

I had the same decision to make when I was about to order my 73.I was lucky in the fact that I had some guns here at the house with both style grips so that I could make up my mind.I still couldn't make up my mind as both styles seemed to work fine for me.So,I decided to go with a straight stock for the old west look and never have been sorry.Go to your local gun shop and shoulder a few and see what you like.No matter what you choose,you will be fine.

Jimmy Stewart's 1 of 1000 was straight stocked. Most rifles and carbines in TV and film are straight stocked. For some reason, the pistol grip just doesn't look right. :rolleyes:

Neither does a hammerless shotgun or a '97, but I own both.

IMHO

Randy

As with most questions of this type, be honest with yourself and add the word "first" after your question. You are probably going to own both eventually anyway. :rolleyes:

As with most questions of this type, be honest with yourself and add the word "first" after your question. You are probably going to own both eventually anyway. :rolleyes:

Mack, I had to sell one to make room for this one.

Thanks for all the replies, I have a pistol grip '73 in 45 so I think I'll stay with the pistol grip.

Randy

Mack, I had to sell one to make room for this one.

Thanks for all the replies, I have a pistol grip '73 in 45 so I think I'll stay with the pistol grip.

Randy

You are all out of sych. If you have to sell one to make room for another, then what you need "first" is another safe, not another gun.

TRUST me on this- whatever you buy, get it with the CARBINE style butt stock! The rifle style "Creasent" is stylish and good looking, but slides around a lot when shouldered for a good many folks, is uncomfortable ( for me and others), can be harder to stage standing on it's butt stock, and the "rifle" style butt is sort of tough to replace once you have it ( just try to buy a carbine butt stock with butt plate on short notice. I know- I decided to trade mine out so I can shoot my rifle although at additional co$t. ) I know it's not just me on this. Shoulder and shoot rifles both ways if folks will let you , and see what you think.

OH yeah- I keep to straight levers on SASS stuff= faster for me.

You are all out of sych. If you have to sell one to make room for another, then what you need "first" is another safe, not another gun.

Mack, I can get a gun into the house and into the safe unnoticed, it's hard to get another safe into the house unnoticed.

Randy

TRUST me on this- whatever you buy, get it with the CARBINE style butt stock! The rifle style "Creasent" is stylish and good looking, but slides around a lot when shouldered for a good many folks, is uncomfortable ( for me and others), can be harder to stage standing on it's butt stock, and the "rifle" style butt is sort of tough to replace once you have it ( just try to buy a carbine butt stock with butt plate on short notice. I know- I decided to trade mine out so I can shoot my rifle although at additional co$t. ) I know it's not just me on this. Shoulder and shoot rifles both ways if folks will let you , and see what you think.

OH yeah- I keep to straight levers on SASS stuff= faster for me.

I've shot some with leather butt covers that stayed pretty still.

Thanks

Randy

Hey Randy,

As many have said, it's all personal preference.

But I would suggest the PG and the 18" full oct. barrel.

Also, if your going to buy it "Race Ready" I would suggest Cowboys and Indian Store or Colt MaCallister. They both build fantastic rifles!

Kid

Archived