SASS Wire Forum

Lever Action Shotgun

Aunt Jen

High cool factor, long learning curve, lots of work needed.

I had one; never again. Had it modified for a two drop, but could never avoid an occasional train wreck, mainly due to the very long lever throw. You also will need to cut the stock down unless you have extremely long arms. Sold it and got a Trench Gun for Wild Bunch. I use a Norinco 97 in regular CAS with an original Winchester 97 as a backup.

High cool factor, long learning curve, lots of work needed.

Howdy Jen. That pretty well sums it up. I like mine enough to have sent it to Coyote Cap. Looking forward to getting it back.

Takes a lot of practice to shoot one fast, but if speed isn't that important, they're a lot of fun. One of the gals at our club loves hers.

I know a number of people including my son who have and use one of those, they all like them. I did by another stock for my sons '87 then cut 3" off the new one instead of the original one, I like it a lot better with the shorter stock. With the '87 you do have to run them hard and when the are running good they look awesome but when you fumble they are a train wreck.

I have one and like it. One thing you have to do for proper operation: don't be gentle operating the action. Treat it like a rented mule and be really forceful with the lever. Mine has the drop two modification and there's a steep learning curve with it. Once you get the hang of it, it's a great gun.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I have one of them '87's for sale... never has been shot... but it cost me a lot more than under $500...

Coyote Cap WCSE 1887...

Don't know if the cost was on account it has walnut stocks... or been slicked by the Cap before he sold it. One thing's for sure... I never got 'round to shootin' it... and it really don't appeal much to me. Bought the dam thang 'cause I saw the Governator shoot one... whilst ridin' a Harley Fatboy... in one of his Terdmanator movies.

ts

Love it and hate it........ When I get my fingers to stoke that thing correctly it is a blast. I love that "slock...slock" sound it makes. And then somewhere around 4th stage or so when I start focusing on the pretty rocks on the ground, the birds overhead, etc., the darned thing rears it's ugly head and fights back. I have shotgun shells not feeding....flying out of my hands...dropping off my belt, etc. Operator error? NO, no, no that could not be.

AJ, speed aint dat much inportant to me, cuz of a handycap of mine. I just work on hittin' da target.

I like mine, aint got dat drop two thing down yet, but I will.

I used mine last year at End of Trail for 4 of the 12 stages. It helped me place in the top 97.8%. :lol:

Actually, I did "better" with it than either of the doubles I used on the other 8 stages. But most folks don't want to live up to my definition of "better".

Cool factor is right. I have been trying to find this video I saw sometime back where a gent was firing his WIN87 when he accidenty catches on fire. I can't find the video. I was a funny video. No harm to the shotgun or the shooter.

What? Catches on fire? Was he rubbin' two sticks together whilst simultaneously shootin' or what?

ts

Hi Jen,

I love mine. It's my Plainsman Event SG, back up main SASS match SG (I have other '97s and I shoot a '97), and I love it.

You become competitive with whatever you practice. Deuce and Lassiter have proven that despite the "fact" :unsure: that most folks think a '97 or SXS are the fastest.

IMHO, if you are looking for one SG to buy as a backup, pick one that will enable you to shoot side matches, WBAS, or other categories. However, if you are looking to "win the Caddie" in your category and don't care about other events, buy a copy of your main match SG.

Regards,

Allie

Here's a little video of just how cool you will NOT look if you get one. I was tryin' out some homemade blackpowder and buckshot loads. Notice how easy it is to drop a loaded round. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbc7o8hL6zQ

Ya gotta love the sound of that lever working, and the BOOM of blackpowder.

What I remember is that the ejected shell landed on his hat and the hat caught on fire. Funny video I just couldn't find it.

Thanks for the reply... just conjered up bad thoughts of some kinda spunganeous combustion...

ts

Archived