SASS Wire Forum

What to do in Wyoming

Seamus McGillicuddy

We will be driving to Yellowstone from California in early September (right after the dove opener!) to meet my brother & his wife who are riding out from Virginia on their motorcycle. The plan is to spend several days in Yellowstone & then travel east to Cody then south to the Wind River area and then back west to Teton-Jackson Hole area before parting ways. Figuring to be about 10 days in northwest Wyoming.

We won’t be shooting on this trip but I’d appreciate any recommendations that any of you folks have for special places not to miss in this area, sites, accommodations, restaurants etc. Thanks for any input.

Seamus

Rule #1...hang on to yore hat! :lol:

The biggest bull I ever killed when living in Jackson Hole, WY was on 5 Sept (archery season). It was 5 below zero that morning; clear and darn cold because it had snowed 2 feet the previous 2 days. Don't forget to plan on winter all the time in the Yellowstone eco-system. When living there for 10 years in the 80's the joke was 'two seasons: winter's coming and winter's here."

One of the best tourist treats is brunch at the Jackson Lake Lodge. Come over to it from the Togwotee (toe-go-tea)Pass side from Dubois and the treat of the Tetons is pure magic. We used to do a Sunday morning "wildlife" ride on horses on the other side of the river east on the flats from Moose Junction. The roads are accessible by car though and it's a good cruise to see buf'ler, prairie goats (antelope), elk and the occasional mule deer.

Gotta stop in at the Yellowstone Lake Lodge; Old Faithful, etc. And if you're in the proper company to schedule a fishing trip it's darn hard to beat floating either the Snake or the Henry's Fork in September for big brown trout.

The ride up over the top from Yellowstone to Red Lodge, MT is a great view and maybe the only place I've looked down on mountain goats from the seat of a motorcycle.

The area is huge; there is no end to what can be discovered off the road; the towns of Jackson and Cody won't disappoint for shopping and eateries.

+1 on the BB Historical Center. I spent 3 full days in there. Eat at the Irma Hotel, See the Cody Night Rodeo if you're into that, really cool fish hatchery east of Ten Sleeps (no samples given though). So much to see that 10 days wouldn't be enough, better plan of going back.

Safe trails,

CKid

+1 on the BB Historical Center. I spent 3 full days in there. Eat at the Irma Hotel, See the Cody Night Rodeo if you're into that, really cool fish hatchery east of Ten Sleeps (no samples given though). So much to see that 10 days wouldn't be enough, better plan of going back.

Safe trails,

CKid

Best enema I ever had was due to a meal at the Irma. I lived in Cody for 8 years. Go visit the Buffalo Bill Museum, Old Trail Town, drive to the end of the Southfork, Sunlight Basin, Beartooth Highway, Wind River Canyon, Hot Spings in Thermopolis. Too many things to mention. The problem with living in Cody is there's nowhere to go on vacation cause you're already there.

LL' :)

We just stayed at the Cody Cowboy Village, not cheap, but very nice rooms... Breakfast place across the street was awesome... Bubba's BBQ headed towards town from the Cowboy Village was very good... LOTS of great gunshops in Cody... and all the historical stuff, you won't have any problems finding anything to do... Plus, I'd plan on some cool morning that time of year...

I'll be in Cody on the 14th of Sept prior to my Elk hunt. Spending a couple of day at the BB Museum then off to hunt and then back 10 days later.

Can't wait...well guess I can as I have been waiting almost a year since I booked the hunt :lol:

Go out the west gate to West Yellowstone MT, turn right go to Virginia City, an old gold mining town, , then on up to Bozeman, and then on to Big Timber. In Big Timber is the 2 Sharps Manfg companies. Bot Shiloh and C Sharps are on Centennial drive only a block or so apart. When the wife and I stoppen in on a lark a year ago we got the guided tour through the Shiloh facility. Wonderful people and great guns.

Figure on at least 2 days in the Buffalo Bill Museum. While in Jackson( no such town of Jackson Hole in Wyoming) You might try some whitewater rafting. Thermopolis is the worlds largest mineral hot springs. State bath house is free (no swimming, just soaking). East side of the Big Horn mountains lies Buffalo where the Johnson County Cattle war took place. Lots of western history. Anywhera you go in Wyoming there is something to do and lots of western history. Have a great time. :FlagAm:

If you can get over that way, you should visit the Medicine Wheel in the Big Horn Mountains. It's been a few years and that place keeps calling me back. Don't know what it is or was, but I felt something there that is hard to explain. (shiver)

I think I'm better for visiting that place. :unsure:

If you can get over that way, you should visit the Medicine Wheel in the Big Horn Mountains. It's been a few years and that place keeps calling me back. Don't know what it is or was, but I felt something there that is hard to explain. (shiver)

I think I'm better for visiting that place. :unsure:

Yep, the Big Horns are a very cool place and the medicine wheel was worth going to! The wife and I are heading to the Wapiti Valley next week, towards the east gate of the park heading out of Cody. We have friends there and we have been going back for better than fifteen years. My Buddy has around 150 acres under Sheep Mountain and we can and do shoot off his decks in 360 degrees. We are ending our trip at the Fountain of Youth mineral springs RV Park in Thermopolis. We’ll spend a couple of days soaking there. There is a restaurant at the airport we ate at a few years ago and it was the best food I've ever had in WY. I don't know if still there, but we are hoping so! The Chief Josephs highway heading up to the North East gate out of Cody is a great drive and it takes you through some beautiful country.

Jasper

Best enema I ever had was due to a meal at the Irma. I lived in Cody for 8 years. Go visit the Buffalo Bill Museum, Old Trail Town, drive to the end of the Southfork, Sunlight Basin, Beartooth Highway, Wind River Canyon, Hot Spings in Thermopolis. Too many things to mention. The problem with living in Cody is there's nowhere to go on vacation cause you're already there.

LL,

Ouch on the enema. Food was great when we ate there. My cousin lived just outside of Cody in Burlington then.

I lived in Thermopolis for almost three months while working on the new County jail years ago. The Hot Springs park really stink, literally, couldn't get used to it. Took the river drive out of E.Thermopolis to the park almost every night to look for deer and play "Find the buffalo herd" in the park. Amazing how hard something that big can be to find. Got to meet the late gun writer Bob Milek and hang out at his favorite gun shop there listening to stories. Fished the Bighorn right across from where we stayed on the highway in. Drove all around counting 'lopes till our eyes fell out. I love Wyoming and had a chance to stay and work for good, but obligations called me home to the desert. All the above places you mention are great to see.

Safe trails,

CKid

Across from the hotel in Thermopolis (it's changed names several times) is some of the best rainbow fishing around.

If it is still there, the Safari bar has a great taxidermy and photo collection and decent food. Also, the dinosaur digs in Thermopolis is interesting. Drive east over the Bighorns is a great drive.

When leaving Yellowstone, if you head Northeast, you'll go over the Absaroka Range towards Cody. Be forewarned, the second half is pretty

boring but the first half makes it worthwhile. That's the route Chief Joseph used to play tag with the Army and made them look like fools.

Great fly-fishing in the Madison, both in and out of the Park. There is the Mountain Man Museum in Big Pines or Big Piney (I think==it's between Jackson and the Park.)

Archived