SASS Wire Forum

Short Stroked 97's

Kid Drover

Has anyone ever heard of a 1897 Shotgun being short stroked? I heard about a famous gunsmith from the Indianapolis area was short stroking some 3 inches off the slide. Since I shoot a side by side, I am not to familiar with the 97's. Oh, maybe they said stoked. :lol:

I wanted to be sarcastic and say, "Sure, I've managed to take 3" off my slide and now I only have a 1/2" opening to throw a 2 3/4" shell into".

But in reality, I don't see anyway to SS a 97. You have to get the chamber fully opened to have enough room for an empty to eject and enough room to throw a fresh round into the receiver.

Just my opin.

..........Widder

I cannot see how this could be done. The action right now only opens far enough to clear the chamber, if you shortened this to just clear the shell it would hinder loading which is what takes all of the time not closing and opening.

IMHO

-Deadlee

Howdy

Three inches? Somebody's pulling your leg. The reason the toggle link rifles can be short stroked is because the lever does not directly push the bolt back. It works through some intermediary links. Change the angle on the links and you can change the stroke. That and you can take some of the slack out of the system to shorten the stroke.

Slide action firearms are not the same. Pretty much, how much you push the slide is how much the bolt moves. I grabbed my '97 and a ruler. There is no wasted motion. The first half inch or so of travel of the slide shoves the carrier down a bit. All the rest of the motion of the slide shoves the bolt all the way back to clear the ejection port and cock the hammer. That's another three inches to completely clear the ejection port. Total travel of the slide is about 3 3/4" inches. No slack, nothing to get rid of.

Don't see how anybody could change that without a rack and pinion system like Manatee joked about. Even then, you would increase the effort needed to push the bolt.

Just checked my Model 12, which is a slightly more modern system than the '97. Still has about 3 3/4" of stroke to open the ejection port all the way.

I don't know how you could "short stroked" a '97. However, if you want a "long stroked" '97.......just forget to turn the tube after re-assembly on a take down model. It's fun, requires no gunsmithing and greatly amuses your pards. :o

I cannot see how this could be done. The action right now only opens far enough to clear the chamber, if you shortened this to just clear the shell it would hinder loading which is what takes all of the time not closing and opening.

IMHO

-Deadlee

Exactly.

I can see that conversation with my gunsmith as I point to the port of my 97.

"Excuse me - can you figure out a way to make it even more difficult for me to get shells in here after the timer goes off?"

And over my shoulder to him as I exit the shop with my claim slip in my hands...

"Oh and if it was completely impossible to clear a hull that doesn't eject - that would be great too. Thanks"

Rack and pinion..........

I think it could be done that way, but would require a significant amount of work and major internal redesign. Would look like a 97 on the outside, but that's about it.

Think about this: You need to get the bolt out of the way so that the shells can be loaded and extracted. Nobody said the bolt has to exit the back of the receiver....

.....and yah, you have to cock the hammer....

....but nobody said the hammer had to be attached to the carrier.....

And why do you need a carrier anyway if you're loading one at a time?......

I had one in 20 ga once. Took a model 12 barrel in 20 ga, put it on a 16 ga 97, had to do a few things inside but it worked. Then a Company asked to use it to production make them. Then they got outlawed. Never saw it again. To much work to retry, and since its illegal, whats the point.

hud

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

A solid frame is the short stroke 97!!

I messed with a rack once and gave up because the marlin ejector wouldn't stay in, the two cogs are very hard to hold without thru holes in the frame,it needs 2" shells to make any gains, and the lock up was kinda iffy... Now I am gonna stay awake all nite runnin that thing around in my head again :angry:

I had one in 20 ga once. Took a model 12 barrel in 20 ga, put it on a 16 ga 97, had to do a few things inside but it worked. Then a Company asked to use it to production make them. Then they got outlawed. Never saw it again. To much work to retry, and since its illegal, whats the point.

hud

I've seen an original 97 in 20 gauge. Since then I've been on the lookout for unicorns. Seriously, I did see the 97 in 20.

Drover, my question would be: Why? I can shuck 'em faster than I can load 'em anyway. :D

Now if you short stroked it and used Aguila mini-shells, just saying :wacko:

At one time, Aguila and Centurion Arms announced a joint venture where they would be producing a scaled down pump and an auto for the inch and a half Aquila 12 ga shells.

Don't know if even a prototype ever even saw the light of day...

But wouldn't a scaled down 97 for the mini shells be a hoot?

Think about this: You need to get the bolt out of the way so that the shells can be loaded and extracted. Nobody said the bolt has to exit the back of the receiver....

.....and yah, you have to cock the hammer....

....but nobody said the hammer had to be attached to the carrier.....

And why do you need a carrier anyway if you're loading one at a time?......

Can you do that for a the huge fee of $150.00. You might have something then. You know the Cowboy action gunsmith rule aplies. Cowboy Action gunsmith rule is do twice the work for half the cost of any other shooting sport gunsmith.

Archived