SASS Wire Forum

EOT updates?

Tomboy

Sorry wrong thread.

But I will say that EoT has been a hoot. This was my first time attending and I'm going to do my best to go from now on. Bad part is I got sick and had to leave. But oh well. I'll be back. Good luck to everyone still up there.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday at EOT....

Sunday, June 26

8:00 AM – 9:00 AM Belle Union – Cowboy Church

9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Copper Queen Admin – Registration

9:00 AM – 4:00 PM SASS Mercantile – Open

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Bay C1 – Jail Break - Five Man Team

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Bay 10 – The Need For Speed

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Long Range Bay – Wild Bunch Four Man Team Event

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Bays 11–12 – High Noon Shoot–out

9:00 PM – 4:00 PM Bay C1 – Shooting Gallery

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C2 – Manufactures Gallery

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM Wah–Maker Arena – Mounted – Top Gun Shoot–off

11:00 AM – 12:30 PM Happy Jack Saloon – VIP Brunch/Sponsor Reception

11:00 AM – 12:30 PM Bahia de Coto – Top Gun Shoot–off – Sweet 16

11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena –Mounted – Team Stages

1:00 PM – 3:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Action Shooting Awards

2:30 PM –3:30 PM Gem Saloon – Mounted Awards

4:00 PM END of TRAIL Closed – See You Next Year

I'm here at EOT now. Our second year shooting, thanks to the Georgia Young Shooters Fund and the efforts of some fine folks. My two buckaroos, ages 13 and 10, had a great time. We had a single P on our posse, FOR THE WHOLE MATCH. My 10 year old has an Audio Processing disorder and reads poorly for his age. He shot, without confusion or incident. Any 12 stages, shot in these conditions, over 3 days, is full of opportunity to blow it. Equipment and mental stamina is tested. Lots of people can perform for several stages, but 12 tend to weed folks out. The goal for all but a few, is to survive. If you can stay between the ditches and keep from crashing, then you will do better than many others. Equipment on the range fails, just like firearms fail. I haven't seen any of these problems resolved in an UNFAIR way. Sometimes there is no perfect way to fix problems, but I respect someone who says "this is what we are gonna do" instead of acting like a little girl.

That Michigan crowd(Deuce, Doc and Wayne) are as good as folks get. They have a lot of class, of which the Wire is deficient at times.

Anyone know who made the Top 16, Sweet 16 and alternate lists?

All 12 stages are now done, I didn't see one stage that had any "classic P traps". I shot near 50 shotshells with only the one target that stuck 1/2 way down, less problems than most multi day shoots I've been to in the past 14 years of CAS. Easy stages, good steel and I and several others on posse #4 cleaned the match, what more can you ask for!

Sunday at EOT....

Sunday, June 26

8:00 AM – 9:00 AM Belle Union – Cowboy Church

9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Copper Queen Admin – Registration

9:00 AM – 4:00 PM SASS Mercantile – Open

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Bay C1 – Jail Break - Five Man Team

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Bay 10 – The Need For Speed

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Long Range Bay – Wild Bunch Four Man Team Event

9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Bays 11–12 – High Noon Shoot–out

9:00 PM – 4:00 PM Bay C1 – Shooting Gallery

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C2 – Manufactures Gallery

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM Wah–Maker Arena – Mounted – Top Gun Shoot–off

11:00 AM – 12:30 PM Happy Jack Saloon – VIP Brunch/Sponsor Reception

11:00 AM – 12:30 PM Bahia de Coto – Top Gun Shoot–off – Sweet 16

11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena –Mounted – Team Stages

1:00 PM – 3:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Action Shooting Awards

2:30 PM –3:30 PM Gem Saloon – Mounted Awards

4:00 PM END of TRAIL Closed – See You Next Year

Dang shame they make ya stay around most the day on Sunday for the awards.

Dang shame they make ya stay around most the day on Sunday for the awards.

u aint kiddin al, all that extra shiz needs to be after the awards, so that people may partake if they wish, and the folks that have 15-20 hours or more of driving to do can get on the road at a decent time, not waste a whole traveling day standing around waiting on folks to read out their name.

I agree. In my case it would make for yet another night in a motel. If I ever make it to EOT I'd like to take is as much as possible and each night in a motel adds $$$ to the tab. I'd hate to have to choose between side matches and the awards, but I think I'd go with the sides. Might be different if I had any chance at hearing my name read though.

I agree. In my case it would make for yet another night in a motel. If I ever make it to EOT I'd like to take is as much as possible and each night in a motel adds $$$ to the tab. I'd hate to have to choose between side matches and the awards, but I think I'd go with the sides. Might be different if I had any chance at hearing my name read though.

sadly that is the situation for several people. they have to choose between being there on wednesday or being there on sunday. most choose wednesday in order to shoot side matches to practice for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH THEY ARE PAYING BIG BUCKS TO COMPETE IN. so when they choose wednesday, that means they leave on sunday morning missing the awards, which is way u have so many names called out to receive an award but yet there is no person there to claim it, because they had to pull out to get back to the real world in time for monday morning work.

however this issue is easily fixed with a minor change, awards at 10 a.m. all other shoot offs and team event begin at noon. any one with the slightest consideration for people and the distance they travel in order to be at this world championship would make this switch or atleast come up with a more suitable solution than making shooters be at awards as late as 3:30 or 4 on the day they need to travel 500-1000+ miles.

I am quite certain they had the awards on Sat. evening a couple of years ago and the vendors, TV crews complained that there were not many folks there Sun. morning. Also, the shoot-offs, etc. didn't have much participation. As I said last year, after they changed it back to Sunday afternoon, it's obvious the shooters' happiness is NOT priority #1.

Possum

I am quite certain they had the awards on Sat. evening a couple of years ago and the vendors, TV crews complained that there were not many folks there Sun. morning. Also, the shoot-offs, etc. didn't have much participation. As I said last year, after they changed it back to Sunday afternoon, it's obvious the shooters' happiness is NOT priority #1.

Possum

+1 on the shooter's happiness NOT being a priority at EOT.

I tried to attend one of the nightly events. FORGET IT.

They want 500-700 shooter. But only have room for a few hunderd. :angry:

Did not even bother to go down again for any of the other nightly events. :(

And left out of Saturday after the shooting was over.

Now I had planned on staying all the way through the awards.

BUT. Trying to fit 600 people in a space for 200 :angry: NO THANKS.

Now. I just need Longhunter to get home. And get to work on the wifes

rifle. :huh::o:P

I respectfully disagree. If you really want to get the most out of an EOT experience, make arrangements to camp at the range. Make sure you participate or spectate at as many of the different events as possible. Even if you don't do the side events, you will have posse mates that do, go and applaud their efforts. Congratulate their wins or best efforts, commisserate with them on their breakdowns or misses; these will be the folks that will welcome you to their camp or even home when next you see them. These will be the folks that will make a point to attend your club's big match. These will be the "yankees" that learn that "southern hospitality" ain't just a feel good phrase; these will be the "southrons" that learn not all "yankees" naturally hate them... (even if they do talk funny).

Three of the four years I went to EOT, I camped out. They made for the best memories, some of those folks are still involved and even those that aren't are still, 20+ years later, counted as friends.

As a truck driver, one of the saddest facets of life on the road is seeing families involved in traffic accidents. I don't care who you are, leaving a place after a full morning of activities at 10, 11 or 12 is putting yourself, your family and others at an unnecessary risk. You will not be at your most alert, and being as it's a Sunday, one of the most dangerous travel days of the week, during the height of the summer travel season, when the most rushed of folks are on the freeways and interstates all trying to hurry back to get home or their intended destination, your percentages for calamity increase dramatically.

Take the rest of the day off, leisurely break camp... get a good night's rest and embark on your travels with a well-rested mind and body... eat a good breakfast and stop often. You've just spent several days to a week runnin' all out, you're tired and don't realize it. Plan for the two or three day plus haul back home.

I for one, would much rather wait 3 days to hear of your adventures, triumphs or failures at EOT than possibly read your saga of accident, injury and tow trucks, let alone of injury or worse on what should have been the highlite of your shooting year.

I did camp and stay at the range for a week.

THAT was the only good thing about the place.

The people I was camping with. And shooting with.

Thank goodness we had things going on in camp each night.

Like cooking out, and sitting around shooting the bull.

Well. You should know that was fun. It was at the Dooley Gang compound.

Griff, I understand your points about camping at the range, but for some of us it is just not possible.

1st year I went, I lived less than 30 miles from the range, stayed late, almost overslept the next morning. The 2nd year, I borrowed a pop-up tent trailer to camp out... the 3rd and 4th years I had bought my own travel trailer... best investment I made... (although yea, I could have probably borrowed the brother's pop-up on each of those years also, but I got lots of years of use of it draggin' it out to even our monthly matches, along with other annual shoots... The last year the wife drove the p/u and travel trailer from TX to CA and the son & I flew (work commitments, don't ya know)! Borrowin' was by far the cheapest way. Even the little one-bunk affairs are emminently practical.

Made grave error when I sold the travel tailer and bought a tent... now the wife doesn't want to go, and you know she finds a way so that I CAN'T! Stupid, stupid, stupid! (Picture me slappin' forehead with palm)!

I did camp and stay at the range for a week.

THAT was the only good thing about the place.

The people I was camping with. And shooting with.

Thank goodness we had things going on in camp each night.

Like cooking out, and sitting around shooting the bull.

Well. You should know that was fun. It was at the Dooley Gang compound.

THAT is what was missing!!

I'm back!

Just BLEW in from EOT. The wind and dust was horrible.

I will have to admit I spent some time thinking "can't wait to get back and tell Al he was right on all accounts"

The people were wonderful!

I have no complaints about the stages or scenarios.

Lack of room in the saloons during "group" events was frustrating but I know we are spoiled by the size of the big barn at the Bar 3.

My only real complaints...

the wind and dust was beyond anything we have encountered before...

and

we missed our friends that weren't there

With that said...

we did make some new friends. The 4 German guys on our posse were hilarious. You should have seen their faces when Shotglass did the Mexican hat dance for them. So funny!

I did assure them that not all blondes from Texas did THAT!

Watching Johnny Morris interact with the German guys... priceless...

I got to meet some folks I had seen only on the Wire. THAT was a highlight of the week....

Sorry wrong thread.

But I will say that EoT has been a hoot. This was my first time attending and I'm going to do my best to go from now on. Bad part is I got sick and had to leave. But oh well. I'll be back. Good luck to everyone still up there.

I was wondering why I didn't see you again. I am so sorry you had to leave.

I'm glad I got to meet you.... hope meeting me is not what made you so sick you had to leave.

:huh::(

That was probably Complicated Lady or one of her cohorts.

Edit, as for the wooden SASS nickle, find some kid at the match and give it to them instead. Thanks for the offer though!

Well Grizz I smuggled you one out and was going to give it to you at Comin At Cha but if you don't want it I guess I will just keep it.....and the hug that comes with it.

the wind

wow

I have never,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in 40 years of driving

been in a dust wind storm that::::: long in duration (to and from EOT)

and that long in miles (size of the wind storm)

two states (large states by the way)

the wind

wow

I have never,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in 40 years of driving

been in a dust wind storm that::::: long in duration (to and from EOT)

and that long in miles (size of the wind storm)

two states (large states by the way)

try fighting that wind wearing a saloon girl dress and a feather in your hair!!!

try fighting that wind wearing a saloon girl dress and a feather in your hair!!!

no thanks

:wub: folks would laugh at me :wub: , and it wood ruin my FCGF :ph34r: image :ph34r:

it sure was nice ta meet ya ma am

you are far purty-er in person than yer avitar

and yer avitar iz gorgous B)

no thanks

:wub: folks would laugh at me :wub: , and it wood ruin my FCGF :ph34r: image :ph34r:

it sure was nice ta meet ya ma am

you are far purty-er in person than yer avitar

and yer avitar iz gorgous B)

Thank you Sir!

You have made my night!

Complicated Lady worked hard selling wooden tokens to support the SASS Scholarship Fund. At the awards ceremony she was given a small knife to put in her garter in recognition of selling ~$500 worth of tokens. Thank you Complicated Lady!

The wind is still blowing. Springtime wind conditions persisted through the whole month of June this year. They usually end in May. Thunderstorms are just now starting. Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas have all had bad fires this year. They will end soon.

Um - I'll do the feather thing, but off the shoulder dresses just make me look - bulky. ;-)

(It sure was windy there - but too hot to put on a duster!)

FJT

I think I'll pass, too, CL... but if I may say... aheemmmm... I did soooo enjoy watching you do it!!! :wub:

Archived