SASS Wire Forum

EOT updates?

Tomboy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shot clean and found the stages really simple but others had some problems. Stage 7 had lots of stage DQs by persons restaging their rifles and closing the action when they restaged.

Lever closing when rifle is set down should NOT be a SDQ! It should only be a MSV.

Thanks for the updates.

Lever closing when rifle is set down should NOT be a SDQ! It should only be a MSV.

Thanks for the updates.

It was. I corrected my previous post. That's what I get for posting too late at night and not proof-reading more carefully.

Today at EOT...

Friday, June 24

7:30 AM – 10:30 AM Bays 1–12 – Early Posses Shoot

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM SASS Mercantile – Open

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Copper Queen Admin – Registration

9:00 AM – 1:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Mounted Stages 1,2,& 3 Followed by Shogun Stage

10:00 AM – 5:00 PM Copper Queen – Prize Pick–up - Friday only

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C1– Conventioneers Stage

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C2– Manufactures Gallery

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bahia de Coto – SASS Shooting Gallery

10:30 AM – 1:30 PM Bays 1–12 – Mid–day Posses Shoot

10:30 AM – 12:30 PM Gem Saloon – Shooting Costume Judging

10:30 AM – 12:30 PM Long Range Bay –Posse Team Shoot

Noon – 3:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon – Open for VIP/Sponsors (only)

1:30 PM – 4:30 PM Bays 1–12 – Late Posses Shoot

2:00 PM – 2:30 PM Town – Mounted Parade thru Town

2:30 PM – 4:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Mounted Extreme Stage

4:00 PM – 4:30 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Mounted Costume Contest

5:00 PM No Guns in Town/Event Closes to Public

5:00 PM – 6:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Life Members & Regulators Reception w/Dave Bourne

6:00 PM – 7:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon – Tequila Tasting Seminar

6:00 PM - 7:00PM Belle Union Saloon –Side Match Awards

7:00 PM – 9:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon – Open for VIP/Sponsors (only)

7:00 PM – 10:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – The Old Gunfighter - Kid Rio

8:00 PM – 10:30 PM Gem Saloon – Poker Tournament

8:30 PM – 10:00 PM Belle Union Saloon –Dave Bourne

8:30 PM – 9:30 PM Wild West Arena – Dr Buck's Wild West Show

9:00 PM – 10:00 PM Happy Jack – Tequila Tasting/ Margaritas

Anyone have a photo of the shotgun targets that were apparently harder to take down. Since so many shooters use AA low noise low recoil shells, it would be nice to know which targets to use heavier loads on?

GCK,

Does it really matter what the issue is at EOT this year? It was reported that the "Evil Roy" targets were hard to knockdown, but, remember, these are all adjustable as to the difficulty to knock them down -- so it does not matter what kind of target, just how they were calibrated.

Either by design or default, the people that set up EOT usually have knockdowns set way heavy and have P traps or target placement or other issues that create shooter difficulties/slow down the speedsters/punish those that do not shoot ammo with four scoops of powder or do not shoot .45s/ ------ Some of these things appear to be designed and some seem to be created by happenstance or lack of detail. But, you have to remember, SASS has never advertised EOT as a "shooter's match" such as Winter Range advertises.

But,,,,,, EOT has really great costume contests, rope spinners, happy hours, poker games, and opportunities to actually meet the SASS boys in person and shake their hand. :)

Either by design or default, the people that set up EOT usually have knockdowns set way heavy and have P traps or target placement or other issues that create shooter difficulties/slow down the speedsters/punish those that do not shoot ammo with four scoops of powder or do not shoot .45s/ ------ Some of these things appear to be designed and some seem to be created by happenstance or lack of detail. But, you have to remember, SASS has never advertised EOT as a "shooter's match" such as Winter Range advertises.

Granted I have only been one time. And that was last year. But that is NOT what I found AT ALL.

Found NO, P traps at all. No problem with target placement. No issues to create or slow down the speedy shooters.

Or to punish those that do not shoot four scoops of powder.

As the fast shooters was shooting most all stages in the teens.

In fact. My little 115gr bullets took down every single pistol KD they had.

And SG targets was no problem at all. Don't recall anyone on our posse having to shoot at one more than once

unless they just flat out missed.

And we had the overall champ and a few world champs on the posse.

That's not to say there are not some problems with SG targets this year.

But all the other stuff????? Sure not what I incountered.

Wow,

Bud vs. Spence vs. Deuce. Wish I were there. :excl:

-T :D

If I had to pick one:

Since I know Deuce personally he's my choice to win. Hope it happens...cause it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Wishing EVERYONE a great time out there ~

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If I had to pick one:

Since I know Deuce personally he's my choice to win. Hope it happens...cause it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Wishing EVERYONE a great time out there ~

Sure would like to see Deuce come to CA, course working for a living always gets in the way.

-C

Granted I have only been one time. And that was last year. But that is NOT what I found AT ALL.

Found NO, P traps at all. No problem with target placement. No issues to create or slow down the speedy shooters.

Or to punish those that do not shoot four scoops of powder.

As the fast shooters was shooting most all stages in the teens.

In fact. My little 115gr bullets took down every single pistol KD they had.

And SG targets was no problem at all. Don't recall anyone on our posse having to shoot at one more than once

unless they just flat out missed.

And we had the overall champ and a few world champs on the posse.

That's not to say there are not some problems with SG targets this year.

But all the other stuff????? Sure not what I incountered.

Well,,,, glad you had a good time on your trip to EOT. :) Please do go again. Glad the pistol and shotgun targets worked for you the year you were there.

I too have shot with some good shooters at EOT.

As I recall, the records show that with less than 450 shooters, they have had more than 200 Ps. That is troublesome.

I shot there when they had about 80 pistol knockdowns that gave the .45 shooters the dickens.

I have been there when ........ well, lots of other things were quietly complained about -- including waddie complaints.

I have heard one of the SASS boys say "well, at least no one has ever won EOT with .32s" (that was prior to EOT being won in 2007 by some kid shooting .32s with four scoops of powder ;) )

Every match will have some things that could be improved upon. I just wish that EOT had fewer things.

As they say: "your mileage may vary." :)

(and, P.S, it is "encountered" not "incountered")

Jack Houston: "EOT is famous for NOT resetting shotgun targets after 600 shooters shot them the previous day! They get big scooped out holes in front of them and alot of them are leaning forward after first day!"

Jack, unless they did it this year, it has been some time since EOT had 600 shooters :rolleyes: . But, yes, you are correct.

SO FAR I'VE SPENT OVER $100 AT EOT AND I AM NOT EVEN THERE!

I think that I would need $1000 (minimum) in the bank to go to EOT. That's not even counting gas or road expenses.....

I would bet there would be some things I'd like to purchase once I was there too....and the drinks probably aren't cheap :lol:

Well,,,, glad you had a good time on your trip to EOT. :) Please do go again. Glad the pistol and shotgun targets worked for you the year you were there.

I too have shot with some good shooters at EOT.

As I recall, the records show that with less than 450 shooters, they have had more than 200 Ps. That is troublesome.

I shot there when they had about 80 pistol knockdowns that gave the .45 shooters the dickens.

I have been there when ........ well, lots of other things were quietly complained about -- including waddie complaints.

I have heard one of the SASS boys say "well, at least no one has ever won EOT with .32s" (that was prior to EOT being won in 2007 by some kid shooting .32s with four scoops of powder ;) )

Every match will have some things that could be improved upon. I just wish that EOT had fewer things.

As they say: "your mileage may vary." :)

(and, P.S, it is "encountered" not "incountered")

Jack Houston: "EOT is famous for NOT resetting shotgun targets after 600 shooters shot them the previous day! They get big scooped out holes in front of them and alot of them are leaning forward after first day!"

Jack, unless they did it this year, it has been some time since EOT had 600 shooters :rolleyes: . But, yes, you are correct.

Even with 450 shooters..that's alot of shots at the targets! And there's no grass, just rocky dirt, it gets scooped out in front. Even the KD's that sit up off the ground can get to where they lean forward making them hard to put down!

Wow Palo Verde you must be at a different match than I am. I have a lot of "speedsters" on my posse that are having no problem knocking down the shotgun targets, and are not getting any "P's". Perhaps you are on a Posse that don't understand the stages. Duece Stevens and the other people on my posse are running in the teens for numbers and so far the only problem has been one of our guys ran so fast, and stopped so short his empty pistol actually flew out of the holster. Before anyone asks yes he got a Stage DQ.

When we shot the team event and cut a 4x4 in half we didn't have anything larger than 38's on our posse so that sort of says that all the targets are not set heavy, in fact we have two Buckaroos on our posse and they have both knocked down the targets that they hit, so perhaps people have to actually hit something to have it count.

Other than that it is hot as previously stated, but the entertainment is great, the stages are easy with target a little too close for my complete comfort, and a wonderful hard working posse especially Duece who has helped immensely, shot like a super robot and is a complete gentleman. If I have to criticize him for anything it's that he doesn't share his gummy worms well! :) Katie

Hi Edward,

Are you and Doc. B. taking the usual plethora of photos? If so, when available, please post a link for us homebodies.

Thanks,

Allie Mo

I shoot the morning shift tomorrow and then come home for lunch and pick up my wife. We will then return to FR where she will shop and take pictures - primarily of ladies in their finery which she wants to share with you and other ladies. She will post on the Carolina Belles forum and I will provide a link. I am no longer taking pictures when shooting since photography interfers with my mental preparations for stages. As my shooting improved this became necessary.

All the shotgun targets went down easily today. I expect the stages were checked and targets calibrated as needed last night. Even so our young shooter brought two boxes of Fiochi SG shells will him and left his featherlites at home. The stages were very straightforward with no P traps at all. We had only one P today and that was because a shooter misunderstood clearly written stage instructions. I could shoot stages this easy any day without having my morning cup of coffee.

I blew any chance of placing today when I had a bad shotgun primer. At first I treated the problem as a stuck firing pin before I dumped the bad shell and continued. I shot the stage clean but wasted so much time the rank points will kill me. Oh well, I still have a clean match going.

As I left early afternoon dust was picking up. The late shift will shoot in some pretty dusty conditions. There will be some serious gun cleaning tonight. At home (3,000 feet lower than FR) I had problems with the heat. I'm glad I shoot before noon tomorrow in cooler conditions. Dirty Bob, our posse marshal is shooting in Classic Cowboy clothing even though he shoots Frontier Cartridge. Seems living in southern Arizona is good preparation for hot weather shooting.

Katie,

I am in 100 degree heat and 6700 feet above sea level. The shotgun knockdowns are largley fine but there have been a few that required a judgement call on the line. What do you do when they go half down and stick? A quarter down and stick? An eighth? The point of knockdowns is not to have to make judgement calls. I have seen failures in this objective.

There was a classic P trap today. Five very slow knockdowns and a dump. A shooter hit the knockdown and went for the dump and recieved a P when the hit knockdown did not go down. That, to me, is a classic P trap.

Is there room for improvement? #$%^ yes!!!. Is it great to shoot with the best? @#$% yes.

No Palo Verde has seen what I have seen. Where are you?

BJT

PV, any chance you can get WR out of the school year?

Wow Palo Verde you must be at a different match than I am. I have a lot of "speedsters" on my posse that are having no problem knocking down the shotgun targets, and are not getting any "P's". Perhaps you are on a Posse that don't understand the stages. Duece Stevens and the other people on my posse are running in the teens for numbers and so far the only problem has been one of our guys ran so fast, and stopped so short his empty pistol actually flew out of the holster. Before anyone asks yes he got a Stage DQ.

When we shot the team event and cut a 4x4 in half we didn't have anything larger than 38's on our posse so that sort of says that all the targets are not set heavy, in fact we have two Buckaroos on our posse and they have both knocked down the targets that they hit, so perhaps people have to actually hit something to have it count.

Other than that it is hot as previously stated, but the entertainment is great, the stages are easy with target a little too close for my complete comfort, and a wonderful hard working posse especially Duece who has helped immensely, shot like a super robot and is a complete gentleman. If I have to criticize him for anything it's that he doesn't share his gummy worms well! :) Katie

Well some of ya have a much bigger sampling than I do.

I can only go by my small sampling of one time. And most likly only time to EOT.

As I did not find it that great a match for the money spent. So until the wife wants to

go. Or if I want to go just because the whole gang is going. Not sure I will be back anyway.

I think that I would need $1000 (minimum) in the bank to go to EOT. That's not even counting gas or road expenses.....

I would bet there would be some things I'd like to purchase once I was there too....and the drinks probably aren't cheap :lol:

One pard found me some discount brass. Another found me some canvas gun socks.

/For those that are there now, how many shooters on your possies?

I figure 12 stages by 3 waves makes for 36 possies. 36 times the average shooters per posse should give us a rough idea of how many shooters are shooting the match.

Katie,

I am in 100 degree heat and 6700 feet above sea level. The shotgun knockdowns are largley fine but there have been a few that required a judgement call on the line. What do you do when they go half down and stick? A quarter down and stick? An eighth? The point of knockdowns is not to have to make judgement calls. I have seen failures in this objective.

There was a classic P trap today. Five very slow knockdowns and a dump. A shooter hit the knockdown and went for the dump and recieved a P when the hit knockdown did not go down. That, to me, is a classic P trap.

Is there room for improvement? #$%^ yes!!!. Is it great to shoot with the best? @#$% yes.

No Palo Verde has seen what I have seen. Where are you?

BJT

PV, any chance you can get WR out of the school year?

Mr. BJT, Sir,

Nope, I'm not there. Been there, done that, past experiences have added up. I'm done but I wish others well that wish to go there and I hope they enjoy themselves.

Nope, probably can never see Winter Range outside the school year. Sure makes it difficult for school kids that want to come whup our old butts.

My shooting buddy is off to other things: school for a second degree 4 days a week , working 4 days a week, ("working" does a father's heart well :) ). BUT,,,,,, I went up to Vegas to see him for a few days this week and we went shopping so he could buy Stretchy Pants! :o and a one-zee :o . He claimed he was preparing for a triathalon :rolleyes: I think it might just be the Vegas thing.

Say hello to your fine boy for me, hope he does well. :)

P.S. I did hear a rumor that the SASS boys had enough sense to turn the range over to T.A.Chance for stage revisions. If that is so, I'm sure T.A. greatly improved EOT and the stages :) .

Stages 1 thru 8 are done for me and I've not seen any traps yet. Stages are pretty fast, not complicated and fun. There is a problem with the new shotgun targets, but it seems to be with the re-set rope/wire combination, not the actual targets. I had one stick 1/2 down and decided not to shoot again, but it really throws you 'cause it's not all the way up,nor all the way down!

Good, fun match, just a bit hot and dusty.

Katie,

No judgement call. Shoot SG KD till down, all the way down. Geeeesh, talk about unfair as all get out if one posse allows targets to be parcel down with one shot and another posse makes the shooter keep reengaging till all the way down. Now if they are that sticky that they will not fall with a direct hit from a standard SG round, then that would be a prop failure. To bad they do not allow the TO to be able to go out and adjust the SG KD so they are not leaning forward..

Not in my book, but that is just me.

I

Today at EOT....

Saturday, June 25

7:30 AM – 10:30 AM Bays 1–12 – Early Posses Shoot

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Copper Queen Admin – Registration

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM SASS Mercantile – Open

10:00 AM – 2:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Mounted Stages 4, 5 & 6 Followed by Rifle Stage

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C1– Conventioneers Stage

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C2– Manufactures Gallery

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bahia de Coto – SASS Shooting Gallery

10:30 AM – 12:30 PM Long Range Bay – Posse Team Shoot

10:30 AM – 1:30 PM Bays 1–12 – Mid–day Posses Shoot

Noon – 3:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon – Open for VIP/Sponsors (only)

1:30 PM – 4:30 PM Bays 1–12 – Late Posses Shoot

2:00 PM – 2:30 PM Town – Mounted Parade thru Town

2:30 PM – 4:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Mounted Extreme Stage

5:00 PM No Guns in Town/Event Closes to Public

5:30 PM – 7:00 PM Gem Saloon – Best Dressed Costume Contest

6:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Open for Business w/ Dave Bourne

7:00 PM – 9:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon –Open for VIP/ Sponsors (only)

7:30 PM – 10:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Party – Red Sky

8:30 PM – 9:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Promenade & All Costume Contest Awards

/For those that are there now, how many shooters on your possies?

I figure 12 stages by 3 waves makes for 36 possies. 36 times the average shooters per posse should give us a rough idea of how many shooters are shooting the match.

Looked like about twenty shooters per posse.

I finished shooting this morning. BP shotters were blessed with a light breeze starting on the first stage and had good times. Still I pushed harder than the breeze allowed and lost my clean match. Such is the challenge of the Dark Side.

A member of the range committee showed me how the Evil Roy SG targets were sticking. After repeated shots the center pivot bolt lossened allowing the arm to wobble slightly. When a posse pulled a cable to reset the targets some arms were side-loaded and slipped past the adjustment bolt instead of stopping cleanly against the adjustment bolt head. Worst-case the arm could move past the bolt head and lock the arm in place where it simply would not fall when the target was struck. The problem was resolved by performing frequent adjustments during the match to ensure the targets pivoted freely but did not wobble. I saw range officers working on the Evil Roy targets twice while I was shooting. Pull cables were disconnected and posses were instructed to reset the targets by hand ensuring the arm rested squarely against its adjustment bolt. With these changes in place the Evil Roy SG targets performed very well for my posse. (The preceding is just my observation as a shooter and is not official information. I could have misunderstood - it wouldn't be the first time.)

I'll go to the awards ceremony tomorrow and watch better shooters who didn't make mistakes and had perfect ammo receive their well-earned awards. I enjoyed shooting with several old friends and made a few new ones. I got my money's worth. My respect for the integrity and capability of Dirty Bob as a posse marshall increased too.

The posse shoot was a variation the old cut a "4x4 down with rifle" stage. Rifles were loaded and staged on a long table then the posse herded into a "jail." When the buzzer rang the posse "broke out of the jail," ran to their rifles, and cut down the post. My posse's strategy was quite common: young people who could move quickly to their guns and persons shooting big bore calibers who chew through wood the quickest in front and every one else out last. BP shooters took the downwind side of the table. I brought a .44 rifle and got five shots off before the post tumbled. Two hundred grain, .44 caliber bullets chew wood well.

WOW Elder Katie, you must truly be blessed to be on such a fine posse that has not experienced a single problem with the stages, props or targets! Congratulations on shooting clean and fast and I'm glad you are having a good time. :D But it may not necessarily be so for all others:

"A member of the range committee showed me how the Evil Roy SG targets were sticking. After repeated shots the center pivot bolt lossened allowing the arm to wobble slightly. When a posse pulled a cable to reset the targets some arms were side-loaded and slipped past the adjustment bolt instead of stopping cleanly against the adjustment bolt head. Worst-case the arm could move past the bolt head and lock the arm in place where it simply would not fall when the target was struck. The problem was resolved by performing frequent adjustments during the match to ensure the targets pivoted freely but did not wobble."

"The shotgun knockdowns are largley fine but there have been a few that required a judgement call on the line. What do you do when they go half down and stick? A quarter down and stick? An eighth? The point of knockdowns is not to have to make judgement calls. I have seen failures in this objective."

"There is a problem with the new shotgun targets, but it seems to be with the re-set rope/wire combination, not the actual targets. I had one stick 1/2 down and decided not to shoot again, but it really throws you 'cause it's not all the way up,nor all the way down!"

"There was a classic P trap today. Five very slow knockdowns and a dump. A shooter hit the knockdown and went for the dump and recieved a P when the hit knockdown did not go down. That, to me, is a classic P trap."

etc.

The posse lists are posted on the wire and a quick estimate yields total shooters at over 700. I'm new, but that seems like good turnout!

I really regretted not being able to go to EOT this year. Hearing complaints about prop failures and poorly designed stages gives me pause about going next year. The idea of a KD, followed by a dump doesn't concern me nearly as much as KDs that don't go down when hit, whether it's the result of poor design, or improper adjustment. I suspect that the powers that be are keeping close tabs on this and will resolve any serious issues.

It is worth mentioning that if these problems were widespread, as opposed to a few isolated incidents, it will be difficult to convince pards who experienced them that the problem(s) will be resolved if their existence is denied!

WOW Elder Katie, you must truly be blessed to be on such a fine posse that has not experienced a single problem with the stages, props or targets! Congratulations on shooting clean and fast and I'm glad you are having a good time. :D But it may not necessarily be so for all others:

Well thank you indeed I am, however I didn't say that I was shooting clean and fast just most of my posse and yes we did have a great time. Nope no problems with the stages, props, or targets but then I have organized a huge number of them and am quite sure that problems do occur I'm not really that naive.

700 people shooting one target with varying loads from knock your head off to some of us having to ask if they shot yet causes problems. The question should be if a problem was experienced did the range people do anything about it. From what I heard they responded immediately to every situation. I don't personally know of any match that was perfect for everyone and I've been to quite a few. So have a nice day Katie

P.S. To Duece Stevens...buddy you and Doc, Slow Mo, and Lightning are the BEST! Thank you for all your help and I really hope that if the time ever comes for you or your group to visit the Northwest you will let me know. We will make you feel right at home. kj

Archived