SASS Wire Forum

EOT updates?

Tomboy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wild Bunch match is now over and the first Cowboy warm-up session is today. Final WB scores were not posted when I left Founders Ranch for the day.

Based on all the tents there are going to be lots of vendors.

Of course things get more interesting (more activities) beginning Thursday (the Cowboy main match begins Thursday).

You may want to visit the Wild Bunch forum for WB updates. Peco Clyde has posted information about WB daily.

There was a lengthy update but the words blew off the paper and tumbled down wind with tons of dust, grit and sand........

A local news outlet reported a 53 mph gust was measured in Moriarty today.

For those of us playing the EOT home game, here's what's happening today:

Wednesday, June 22

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Copper Queen Admin – Registration

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM SASS Mercantile – Open

9:00 AM – Noon Gem Saloon – Action RO I

9:30 AM – 10:00 AM Belle Union Saloon – Side Matches Safety Meeting

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay 7 – Speed Pistol

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay 8 – Pocket Pistol and Derringer

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay 9 – Speed Rifle

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay 10 – Texas Surrender

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay 11 – Speed Shotgun

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C1 – Worlds Fastest Cowboy

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C2 – Manufactures Gallery

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bahia de Coto – Rim fire Rifle & Pistol

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Silhouette Bay – Silhouette Match

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Long Range Bay – Long Range Side Matches

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bahia de Coto – Shooting Gallery

Noon – 3:00 PM Bay 1–4 – Plainsman

12:30 PM – 3:00 PM Gem Saloon – CD Tom Scoring Class

1:00 PM – 4:00 PM Mounted Camp – Mounted RO I Class

1:00 PM – 4:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Beginning Mounted Shooting Clinic

3:00 PM – 4:00 PM Gem Saloon – RO Committee Meeting

4:00 PM – 5:00 PM Gem Saloon – TG Meeting

4:00 PM – 5:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon – SASS Wire Gathering (drinks)

5:00 PM No Guns in Town

5:00 PM – 6:30 PM Happy Jack Saloon – Posse Marshal's Meeting

7:30 PM – 9:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Opening Ceremonies

Griz: what makes up the Worlds Fastest Cowboy?

Is that a quick draw contest?

..........Widder

Good question Widder, I have no idea. Never been to EOT but like to follow along at home. Maybe it's a worlds record speed stage or something. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer.

I shot the side matches today so I'll give a report. I started out the day buying some Wild Bunch mag pouches from Mernickle that were sold out at Winter Range. They complete my WB rig. I shot four side matches: pocket pistol, rimfire revolver, rimfire rifle and the plainsman. My pocket pistol misfired so I had a poor time on that match. I missed the fourth shot on the rimfire revolver so didn't place well on that match either. On rimfire rifle I had a perfect string of ten and a good time. All the hours practising on a Midway portable gallery paid off. Larson Pettifogger and Dan Diamond (two BP shooters) were running the rimfire operation so I got to talk to them for awhile.

The plainsman was spit into two categories: modern and tradition. Modern was for rifles with ejectors (ie, Handi-Rifles) and Traditional for those without ejectors. I brought a rolling block and competed in the traditional catergory and did OK, but far behind the leading shooters. I did have a clean match - a first for me in the plainsman and went home happy. Stage 3 did have some knockdown targets. My 148 grain, 44 caliber balls loaded with a minimum loading of 777 barely took them over (one didn't go down when hit the first time). Some 158 grain service loads might be needed for those targets. I'm not sure .32s will do the job.

Weather was hot, very dry with cloudless skies. The wind was light though we had two dust devils hit the plainsman match.

Tomorrow I shoot the last wave starting at noon. I'll wear white clothes, a big straw hat and drink at least a gallon of water when shooting. I'll be fine.

Thursday morning update: Moderate west winds are forecast for all three days with low dew points. These are favorable conditions for BP shooters. Hopefully several of them place in the top ten.

Thanks Edward!

I bought a wooden SASS nickel from a saloon girl for the SASS scholarship fund. Do you want it? If so, PM me with your address and I'll snail mail it, no charge. (I keep the hug I got with the nickel.)

Today at EOT

Thursday, June 23

7:00 AM – 5:00 PM Copper Queen Admin – Registration

7:00 AM – 7:30 AM Belle Union Saloon – Mandatory Early Shoot Safety Meeting

7:30 AM – 10:30 AM Bays 1–12 – Early Posses Shoot

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM SASS Mercantile – Open

9:00 AM – 1:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Sharp Shooter Mtd Shooting Clinic

9:30 AM – 10:00 AM Belle Union Saloon – Mandatory Mid–day Safety Meeting

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C1– Conventioneers Stage

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bay C2– Manufactures Gallery

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM Bahia de Coto – SASS Shooting Gallery

10:30 AM – 12:30 AM Bays TBA– Action Stages For All Around Cowboy

10:30 AM – 12:30 PM Long Range Bay –Posse Team Shoot

10:30 AM – 1:30 PM Bays 1–12 – Mid–Day Posses Shoot

11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Gem Saloon – Shooting Costume Judging

Noon – 12:30 PM Belle Union Saloon – Mandatory Late Safety Meeting

Noon – 3:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon – Open for VIP/Sponsors (only)

1:00 PM – 4:00 PM Wah–Maker Arena – Warm–up Shoot

1:30 PM – 4:30 PM Bays 1–12 – Late Posses Shoot

5:00 PM No Guns in Town/Event Closes to Public

5:00 PM – 6:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Founders Club Reception w/ Dave Borne

6:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Open for Business w/ Dave Bourne

7:00 PM – 9:00 PM Happy Jack Saloon – Open for VIP/Sponsors (only)

7:00 PM – 11:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Syd Masters & The Swing Riders

8:00 PM – 9:00 PM Belle Union Saloon – Soiled Dove Costume Contest

8:00 PM – 10:30 PM Gem Saloon – Poker Tournament

..........Widder

It is a single stage set up with three shooting positions. From one shooting position the shooter knocks down ten rifle targets, from the second using pistols the shooter engages two racks of tombstone knockdowns with 5 tombstones on each, with progressively smaller tombstones behind the first, from the third position the shooter knocks down 4 shotgun targets. Heck of a lot of fun as I recall from last year, though I hope they calibrated the rifle knockdowns a little better this year. I didn't get a chance to shoot it this year, though I wish I had.

Texas Surrender was also very cool. 5 pistol rounds to clear a Texas Star and then shotgun for 4 knockdowns.

Badlands Bud

..........Widder

Starting position at the bar, when cowboy ready drink one full bottle Milk of Magnesia, wait 45 minutes, at the beep, see which cowboy gets to the one hole outhouse first. :rolleyes:

Starting position at the bar, when cowboy ready drink one full bottle Milk of Magnesia, wait 45 minutes, at the beep, see which cowboy gets to the one hole outhouse first. :rolleyes:

Could call that the Monte Walsh Cook's Revenge stage.

It's hot, real hot, damn hot! temp in my van after shooting morning squad was 107, probably near 93 in the bays.

My revolvers are clean and the moose milk is drying in the rifle action before I re-assemble it and lube it with Ballistol. Next I get the melted plastic out of the SxS. It's time for a break and type a few words.

Yes, it was hot. It was a typical June day in New Mexico before the summer rains come and cool things down. I shot in white cotton clothes, wore a straw hat and drank a gallon of water while shooting and felt fine. A fellow from Alaska on our posse struggled with the heat and left as soon as he could for his air conditioned motel room. A plainsman shooter from back east wore a fringed leather shirt (that looked great!) but also really felt the heat.

I shot clean and found the stages really simple but others had some problems. Stage 7 had a stage DQ and MSVs by persons restaging their rifles and closing the action when they restaged (this was on the posse before me.) [Previous sentence corrected Friday orning, AM.] Also, the Evil Roy shotgun targets seem hard to knock over. I'm shooting 1 1/8 oz, warthog BP loads that take all shotgun targets down easily. However, those shooting very light, 7/8 oz smokeless loads had some trouble. A young gun on our posse smacked one Evil Roy target five times dead center without knocking it down and finally had to take a miss when he ran out of featherlite shells.

I did little shopping. A vendor didn't have a special order I made months ago so I'll take delivery later. The APP vendor has not set up (if he is even coming). I'll check again tomorrow afternoon after shooting.

Note for Griz in the next post: Out-of-calibration targets will be reset for Friday. It's tough to keep shotgun targets adjusted. At a local match I would have called a downrange and adjusted them. It doesn't take much pounding to get them out of adjustment. I'm having fun and will hate when this ends!

Archived