SASS Wire Forum

An APOLOGY

Jesse Hendricks #27467

Last November I posted a topic on this forum that I did in haste. I do not apologize for my feelings but I do apologize for the way I wrote the topic it. I ended up hurting the feelngs of some really decent people who have gone out of their way to help me. I'm also late in posting this apology mostly due to health problems over the winter and oblgations that I have taken on by becoming the secretary of my rifle and pistol club. The club has over 2500 members and a little shy of 200 acres. We have no employees and all management falls to the officers and board members so I now need to retire from retirement (HaHa!). Now I've some time to think about things and have decided that this needs to be said.

Last November I arrived at our last monthly shoot of the year to find people wearing semi-auto's (1911's). A wild Bunch shoot was going to be part of this monthly shoot. I did not realize it. I had not gone to the website to check before the shoot. I do the registration for our shoots along with the help of Concho Chris. I haven't been shooting the matches of late, in fact I've only shot one match in two years but I enjoy seeing old friends and looking at all the guns and rigs. Also I'm the only one in the Jackson Hole gang who can make change (just kidding).

Cowboy has come to mean a great deal to me as I know it does to you or you wouldn't be on this forum. I'm a history nut especially about US history from the 18th and 19th centuries. I don't have anything against folks who want to shoot Wild Bunch in fact go to it and enjoy. If you want to have a Wild Bunch match I applaud you and wish you well. As an officer of my club I would be happy to endorse it. But when I arrived to do registration and saw a number of people with 1911's all I could think of was well there goes my beloved sport. Then one of the first people I registered told me he was an IPSIC shooter and was sure happy to see cowboy getting withit. That was not his exact words but as my wife says it was close enough for government work. All I could think of now was IPSIC with a cowboy hat. I was seeing red. My beloved sport being destroyed before my very eyes. I said some things I shoudn't. No I didn't cuss anyone out but I sure let people know how I felt. I've never been very tactfull and diplomacy is not my forte. I offended a number of shooters such as Jersey Sue, Jesyame Kid (yes I know I spelled it wrong but I never claimed to be literate, just able to make change), and anyone in ear shot especially one of my dearest friends Ben Cooley. For my boorish words I do sincerly apologize.

A little while ago Grey told me that Wild Bunch matches and regular cowboy matches were not to be combined and that this is now in our SASS hand book. I have not checked this out but if it is so I agree very very much with it.

The one thing I learned from that post is that there are some very strong feelings on both sides of Wild Bunch. Those who think it will be good for cowboy and those who dislike it. So many hard feelings started coming out on the topic that I posted that I sent an email to Black Harris and asked him to kill it and he did. I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN WITH THIS TOPIC unless you have something constructive to say about how cowboy can accomodate both camps please don't say it or send me a PM about it and we can discuss it.

Again for what it's worth I am truly sorry for what happened amd hope I did not add to the split I fear could be looming over the Single Action Shooting Society.

Respectfully Submitted

this 21st day of March 2011

Jesse Hendricks

I don't see any evidence of a split, just differences of opinion on the WB aspect.

But, if there should be a split I suspect the overwhelming majority of folks would stick with the cowboy side.

And some would go both ways. (hmmm I'm not sure that sounds right) :blush:

My compliments on your apology.

Many folks around here that do things in haste could learn a lot from you, Pard

Well of course there needs to be a split. WBAS and SASS-CAS should never be shot at the same time with the same posses. Two entirely different games. That's how it was intended to be from the beginning and how SASS wants it. Ideally. Problem is out here in the wide open spaces we are forced to combine them. We have no choice due to low numbers of shooters. Not ideal but we make it work.

I love both games and refuse to choose between them as I will never have to.

I don't see any evidence of a split, just differences of opinion on the WB aspect.

But, if there should be a split I suspect the overwhelming majority of folks would stick with the cowboy side.

And some would go both ways. (hmmm I'm not sure that sounds right) :blush:

My compliments on your apology.

Many folks around here that do things in haste could learn a lot from you, Pard

Thanks Bob

The going both ways thing could really add an element to cowboy though.

I do not have a dog in this hunt except for the area of eating a little crow...I've eaten enough it now tastes like chicken to me..again none of my business but I give you a hearty and heartfelt "God Bless" for making amends to your brothers and sisters... Nice!

Hi Jesse,

I vaguely remember the thread. However, I don't really remember your part in it. That is probably a good thing as I have a long memory where AHs are concerned. :unsure::rolleyes:;)

Anyway, the powers that be want WB and CAS to be separate and so it shall be.

Good job with the apology.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Considering some of the garbage that's been said over the wire lately, your apology is a breath of fresh air......Thanks :blush:

BSD

We started out here shooting a couple of WB stages before the Cowboy match.We were getting more people shooting & a later start on the regular match.The range finaly came up with a seperate day for us to do the WB match,whitch is on a sunday.The only problem with that is all the local Cowboy shoots in a 70 mile radius (4)are on sundays.We are sort of hope'n for a saturday to do WB. Largo

Well of course there needs to be a split. WBAS and SASS-CAS should never be shot at the same time with the same posses. Two entirely different games. That's how it was intended to be from the beginning and how SASS wants it. Ideally. Problem is out here in the wide open spaces we are forced to combine them. We have no choice due to low numbers of shooters. Not ideal but we make it work.

I love both games and refuse to choose between them as I will never have to.

By split I believe he was talking about WB being a totally different organization, separate from SASS.

That's what I meant.

Jesse, knowing you personally, I know your public apology is from the heart. I know that all those Jackson Hole members will accept it as true words.

I responded to your original post and still am of the same opinion - WB is nothing more that a movie outside of the SASS declared era - a means to bring more members into SASS and a way for the vendors to sell more handguns to SASS members. Like it or not and I don't - WB is here to stay. For me - Single Action Revolvers are it!

I keep asking our Match Director ... why no Long Range Matches? They are events in all the original SASS Handbooks but yet are non existent during the year except for our State Match. Yet WB matches are now events for our club :blink:

I too have noticed the "Watering-down" of the Sidematches with the addvent of "Wild-Bunch" and I find that deeply disturbing....

Some shoots are "skipping" the side matches entirely to have Time for WB, just what I feared would happen ....

Jabez Cowboy

Well said, Sir. Public apologies are good for the soul of those that write them, and those that read them with an open mind. I look forward to competing in WB events at our club as time, finances and a '97 arrive.

I also lament the decline of side events. The long range side matches have long been my favorite part of the whole deal. However, I also recognize that it takes people to step up and run things... And, often, the only time we have a side match after our regularly scheduled monthlies is when someone takes it upon themselves to set it up and run it.

Reminds me... I ain't volunteered to do that in quite some spell... should correct that sort of laziness on my part... ah... let me cogitate on it a while... maybe someone else'll step up to the plate...

Jesse, knowing you personally, I know your public apology is from the heart. I know that all those Jackson Hole members will accept it as true words.

I responded to your original post and still am of the same opinion - WB is nothing more that a movie outside of the SASS declared era - a means to bring more members into SASS and a way for the vendors to sell more handguns to SASS members. Like it or not and I don't - WB is here to stay. For me - Single Action Revolvers are it!

I keep asking our Match Director ... why no Long Range Matches? They are events in all the original SASS Handbooks but yet are non existent during the year except for our State Match. Yet WB matches are now events for our club :blink:

Thanks John Boy.

Last November I posted a topic on this forum that I did in haste....

Dad burn it all...NO hanging....I'll put the rope away... :)

Heee Haaaa Matt .. Why do always get the rope out for a Yankee..

Heee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

We also fold the occasional WB shooter into our regular monthly matches at the two clubs I frequent most often. I have shot it once and been on the posse with someone else shooting it twice, so no big deal or invasion going on here. Though I have the guns and gear for WB it just doesn't stir the cowboy spirit the way that a pair of cap and ball revolvers do but if I watch the movie again or even THE PROFESSIONALS, I just might want to try it again! At my age, every day above ground is great, no matter what gun I get to shoot on that day.

The club (Wartrace Regulators) I'm a member of does it right. The club has its Main CAS Match on the first Saturday and then a mid-month (third Saturday) Wild Bunch/Cowboy match. The shooters are divided into WB posses and Cowboy posses. The Wild Bunch scores are completely separate from the Cowboy scores. Good plan!

Archived