SASS Wire Forum

REDUCED LOAD FOR MAGNUM PISTOL PRIMERS

Lefty McCoy

Howdy

Just started doing this cowboy action shooting, got to say its the most entertaining shooting activty Ive ever done. Anyway I have been working my way thru reloading componets I already had for cowboy loads. Been loading a recipe from one of my books, dont remember which at the moment but it is .38 spl with 158 grn RNFP bullets, x.x grn Red dot and a CCI 500 sm pistol primer. Recipe listed a MV of about 800fps out of a pistol barrel. I have some CCI 550 magnum pistol primers I would like to use up. Anyone got a feel for how much I could reduce my current load to end up at about the same MV? Anything about putting these in .38 brass that is going to bite me? Any other reason why I shouldnt do this? I dont have a chronograph.

Thanks

Lefty McCoy

SASS 91282

Your load should be fine if you want to swap regular for mag primers. Loads close to maximum are ones you need to be careful doing component substitution.

You MIGHT be able to see a 50 FPS difference in a Cowboy type pistol load moving up to mags, if you had a chrono. I do that swap depending upon primer availabilty, and don't notice the difference when shooting.

If you wanted to drop a tenth of a grain, it would not hurt you, and might keep close to same velocity.

Good luck, GJ

Hi, please read the forum rules as we are not allowed to post load data. :o:angry:

It's a STUPID rule, BTW :excl:

I've been reloading for over 45 yrs. and with the loads that we use in SASS/CAS you shoud not have any issue with mag. primers.

CCI's use a harder cup and IF you have light hammer springs you MAY have some "no-fires".

With your light load, be sure to use a very FIRM crimp for a good powder burn.

Respectfully,

LG

First, check your reloading manual to see where that load is - is it near minimum or at maximum.

If it is a max load, then a Mag primer would require dropping the amount of powder a couple of tenths.

If it is a minimum or mid-range load, then a Magnum shouldn't be a problem.

FYI, we are not supposed to list the specific load on the wire due to possible typos, etc that would mislead folks.

We chronied a middle of the road load of HP-38 in .357 cases, but using std. and mag primers with the same grain lead. IIRC, difference was about 60fps between the two in his guns( revolvers). He said he noticed just a small difference in recoil.......Buck :blush:

I use federal small pistol mag. primers in my 38s with trail boss.Worked up my load with the mag primers so I dont know if they increase the FPS.

Not enough difference to worry about; my experience:

10 rounds each, Uberti 20 Carbine (.38 Spl., 125 Gr. RNFP, Clays, 0.3 Gr. < Max.)

Primer Type, Average (Mean), Extreme Spread, Standard Deviation

Federal Standard, 969, 38, 12

Federal Magnum, 976, 55, 14

I'd say that 7fps is meaningless.

Like a number of others - (especially over the last couple of years) - I purchased whatever I could find and used standard and magnum primers interchangeably.

When the primer tray emptied, I grabbed whatever stack was next, so I regularly had magnum primed rounds in the cartridge box next to standards.

Now, granted - these were not chrongraphed, but...

I never had any noticed difference in feel, recoil or accuracy.

Like a number of others - (especially over the last couple of years) - I purchased whatever I could find and used standard and magnum primers interchangeably.

When the primer tray emptied, I grabbed whatever stack was next, so I regularly had magnum primed rounds in the cartridge box next to standards.

Now, granted - these were not chrongraphed, but...

I never had any noticed difference in feel, recoil or accuracy.

ditt0 what hee said

Lefty like others I laid in a supply of magnums when standards werent available. Then I stopped loading 38s and have had them on the shelf since then. Decided to try them in my 38Super, went with the base load from the new Lyman cast bullet manual and shot 50 rounds today. Saw no difference in old std primer loads versus new magnum primer loads. Lots of guys shooting these primers, and small rifle primers, when trying to make major power factor with the Super to get a better burn and protect from blowout. At std pressures like we shoot there should be no problems. Now I have to sit down at the SDB and crank out a bunch to have on hand, well after I bump up the load a little that is.

All magnum primers do is ignite the powder better. Although the loading manuals caution about reducing the load by 10% and "working up", remember they are always on the conservative side. (A good thing)

Some of the Winchester pistol primers I have on hand say "for standard or magnum loads" some don't. I have used magnum primers interchangeably in a number of cartridges and never noticed a velocity increase enough to worry about. If you're using a low to midrange load I'd say you're safe enough. A load closer to the top end, well.....

Archived