SASS Wire Forum

Hog Hunters on Hogs Gone Wild

Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428

Watching some of the "hogs gone wild" show. What is mentally wrong with these idiots? Two guys had one dog and were about 10 feet from a 300 to 400 pound wild crazy hog. They were scared of it and pulled the dog back because one dog wasn't enough, they said they needed more dogs. WRONG!!!! What they needed was a 44mag, or a 454 casull or a good ol M1A, or even a danged mini-gun. Instead, they come back with 2 dogs, each dog grabs an ear. The two guys jump in and grab the legs, pull out their Rambo knife and kill the pig. I am sure this does wonders for their macho ego, and the sales of Rambo knives will go up again.

I wonder how many people more stupid than the ones on the show are gonna see this and get seriously hurt trying to kill wild pigs by hand rather than just shooting the dang things.

Ok, rant off. Channel is changed and I wont watch again, I get too riled up over the stupidity.

This is exactly how many of the locals hunt hogs in Hawaii.

Hunting wild pigs is an important part of modern Hawaiian culture. By far the most popular and well known method for pig hunting is with dogs and knives. The popularity may come from the fact that anyone can participate. You don't need a gun, or even your own dogs; all you need is a knife and you can go with either your own dogs or those of friends. These hunters are true sportsmen, and their dogs are tough and skilled. The dogs have the job of finding the pigs in dense forest, catching and holding them by the skin, hair, ears and snout until the hunter(s) can get there to finish off the pig. They usually hunt with packs of six or more dogs; mixed breeds containing American Pit Bull Terriers or Bulldogs for the lock-jaw effect, Hounds or Bird Dogs for their speed, stamina, and keen sense of smell, and often Airedale Terriers for their thick fur which protects them from wet, cold, and thorns and bushes. A combination of these breeds is the ideal Hawaiian pig hunter!

Now I know why Cabelas list a long knife or short sword in their catalog and advertise it as being used in the "GROWING SPORT OF HUNTING WILD HOGS WITH A BLADE."

I wondered where it was growing, and that I had never heard of it before.

I think that I would want to reject that idea as a conflict with my ethic of hunting.

I guess stabbing an animal to kill it would make some feel very macho, but I would

prefer a clean fast kill for my game. JMHO

shoot fire, all this fuss over a little piggy?

ya ain't lived til ya have bulldogged a bull elk!

Grizz

who would want a large caliber firearm to hunt pigs from a safe distance.

Howdy, Pard,

Is 10 feet a safe distance? When I was a LOT younger, I hunted hawgs down in Tennessee where 20 feet was about as far as you could see in the woods. This was on a game preserve, but if anyone thinks this was "setpiece hunting" let 'em try it! They had 6,000 acres; 2,000 they hunted, another 2,000 was an alternate area, and the final 2,000 was left alone as a breeding area. They had both feral and European wild boar and crossbreeds. The terrain was steep hills and densley forested with small sapplings. The first time I went out I had a Tanker M-1 Garand (barrel cut to 18-in.) in .30-06. We had dogs, and they tracked a fair size "Roosian". When I caught up to the dogs they had bayed the boar, and were fighting it. The guides, who were local farmers asked me to get in quick so the dogs wouldn't get hurt. The dogs backed off for about a lifetime (maybe 10 seconds) and I popped the critter behind the shoulder with a 180 gr. Remington Core-Lokt.

Later on the same trip, one of the guides was ambushed by a hawg, and it brushed by him, hitting him on the calf. Fortunately, the hawg had broken the tush on that side, or it would have laid the guide's leg open to the bone! The client (not me) took the pig with IIRC a .44 Magnum S&W revolver.

During a subsequent visit to Tennessee I took two more hawgs with a .33 WCF. Was swinging on another pig that must have weighed 400 lbs, when I caught the end of the 24-in. barrel on a sapling. Time I could get untangled the critter was long gone into the brush. Last time I ever went hunting with a rifle that long, even in the Western mountains!

No way I could do stuff like that nowadays. -_-

What I don't understand is what these idiots are accomplishing by capturing a few hogs here and there. Are they transplanting them somewhere? In Florida, they were trying to "drive the pigs back into the brush," away from the front lawns of the suburb. Why not kill them and reduce the population? :wacko:

Ride careful, Pards! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! Godspeed Discovery! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Watching some of the "hogs gone wild" show. What is mentally wrong with these idiots? Two guys had one dog and were about 10 feet from a 300 to 400 pound wild crazy hog. They were scared of it and pulled the dog back because one dog wasn't enough, they said they needed more dogs. WRONG!!!! What they needed was a 44mag, or a 454 casull or a good ol M1A, or even a danged mini-gun. Instead, they come back with 2 dogs, each dog grabs an ear. The two guys jump in and grab the legs, pull out their Rambo knife and kill the pig. I am sure this does wonders for their macho ego, and the sales of Rambo knives will go up again.

I wonder how many people more stupid than the ones on the show are gonna see this and get seriously hurt trying to kill wild pigs by hand rather than just shooting the dang things.

Ok, rant off. Channel is changed and I wont watch again, I get too riled up over the stupidity.

That's pretty un-sporting like to me...........two Pitbulls and a Rambo knife. I prefer two household cats and a Leatherman Tool. Much more sporting that way.

Seriously though, that's the way a lot of folks hunt hog here in Florida.

What I don't understand is what these idiots are accomplishing by capturing a few hogs here and there. Are they transplanting them somewhere? In Florida, they were trying to "drive the pigs back into the brush," away from the front lawns of the suburb. Why not kill them and reduce the population? :wacko:

I thought the same thing. Bet it's some stupid govt rule about shooting them within the town limits!

Boar hunting with daggers or spears has been done in Europe since the middle ages.

Not my thing though.

The pigs in Hawaii are a LOT smaller than 400 lbs.

Yep, in Hawaii the pigs average 150 to 160 pounds, with shoulder height of 3 feet, and a body length of 60-plus inches. They can still tear up a dog or a human with their tusks. Lots of good pig hunting on Molokai.

This is how it's done here (Florida) and sometimes the guys who do it don't even use catch dogs (but not usually). One guy I know told me he baited under a tree and dropped on one and stabbed it to death. It's exciting, an adrenaline/testosterone rush. They bait with a mixture of corn and beer fermented then poured in a hole in the ground or just put out in some kind of container usually. Sometimes just corn, and sometimes strawberry jello.

I've never done it that way, and don't plan to. I prefer to jump them up or wait in a blind, and pop them with a rifle at a fairly safe distance.

The pigs in Hawaii are a LOT smaller than 400 lbs.

Howdy, again, Pards,

MOST of the ones I shot were in the 150 lb class. European wild boar are smaller than domestic pigs. That 400 pounder was a feral (domestic pig gone wild) or feral/Roosian cross. It was IIRC some 48 years later, marked like a domestic pig.

You brave souls can hunt all the piggies you want with a knife, spear, grenades, etc. :lol: I like the odds enough in my favor that I don't particularly risk life and limb. Those critters ever get you down on the ground, they can gut you with a swipe of their snouts! One of the guys that hunted with me at the same time and place was using a bow and arrow. He got his hawg, but after shooting it, he had to grab one of the those saplings and swing himself up high enough to let the critter run past him. Oh, BTW, unlike a bull cow, hawgs charge with their eyes open ! :o

Ride careful, Pards! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your obdt servant,

If'n ye knife touches a wild hog afore it's daid ye are in deep doo doo. I would hope at least one or more of my rifle/sg shots or the 6 in my back-up big bore handgun would have put paid to porky before I got close enuff to employ the blade. knives are for skinnin'.

Those folks on that show grabbin' aholt of hogs are pure-dee idjits. One slash of them tusks to the blood vessels in your laig and ye will bleed out in no time. It's way beyond nonsense and folly.

Anything is better then the hunting program I saw with guys using high pressure airguns. One of my troops was from Hawaii and his family were big feral pigs hunters, though they favored AR or Mini 14 type rifles. For them it wasnt about sport, it was about preservation of the eco system and their food crops.

They bait with a mixture of corn and beer fermented then poured in a hole in the ground or just put out in some kind of container usually. Sometimes just corn, and sometimes strawberry jello.

I've seen enough people do crazy things that one more crazy thing doesn't catch my attention too much, but I do wonder....why strawberry jello? If I was a hog, you should use cherry jello. I guess strawberry would be okay, but use lime and you'd just be a hunter watching green jello in a hole. :D

I've seen enough people do crazy things that one more crazy thing doesn't catch my attention too much, but I do wonder....why strawberry jello? If I was a hog, you should use cherry jello. I guess strawberry would be okay, but use lime and you'd just be a hunter watching green jello in a hole. :D

I preferto trap a family of them in a pen, load in a trailer, and take them to the slaughterhouse alive. Much easier on our Jack Russell and you don't have to clean knives and guns afterward! :FlagAm::)

Archived