SASS Wire Forum

Partner Had A Squib, But Unburned Powder

Pick Pocket, SASS #64071

While out at the range this afternoon my buddy had two squibs. He was shooting .45LC, Starline brass, Winchester primers, IMR4198 powder. The primer fired, sending the first bullet half way down the barrel of his 1866. The second squib went far enough for about 1/8" of it to be sticking out the end of the barrel. When pulling out the cartridge we observed a lot of unfired powder, what appeared to be around the entire amount of powder.

Any ideas what would cause this? The primer goes off strong enough to send the bullet down the barrel, but the powder does not burn?

4198 in a .45 Colt? I might be missing some advances in loading data but I'm not sure I'd expect good results from that combination, ever...

Does the manufacturer endorse that application of the powder?

IMR 4198 is a pretty good rifle powder but way to slow for the general pistol such as we use.

You cannot get enough pressure for the powder to burn as it should.

Best to switch to a faster pistol powder such as IMR 700, Clays, Bullseye, American Select, etc.

I'd stand a long distance away from that pard when he is shooting any handload, if he is not any wiser than 4198 in a .45 Colt. Get him some help, seriously!

Good grief, GJ

Thank you all for your input. I passed this information over to my buddy, and he is going to change powder. I offered to help him pull apart his 200 loaded rounds, and reload them with a different powder. I will take that nasty IMR4198 off him, and put it in my 40-65.

Thank you all for your input. I passed this information over to my buddy, and he is going to change powder. I offered to help him pull apart his 200 loaded rounds, and reload them with a different powder. I will take that nasty IMR4198 off him, and put it in my 40-65.

Suggest he get some Trailboss. That way he will have a minimal chance of hurting himself and it is a good .45 powder.

Should have used a rifle primer,,,,,,,,, Not

Hopefully his next step will not be a case full of clay's in his 45-70.

Someone needs to go back to reloading 101.

may years ago I sold a Nice M-1 Garand.

Next time I saw it, it was in multiple parts. A case full of pistol powder in an '06 will do that.

shooter did suvive with both eyes and ten fingers though...

Drag him carefully away from the loading equipment. <_<

Padlock the loading equipment until he spends some real quality time with a reloading manuel ..... or several.

Coffinmaker

Concur with the remedial reloading instructions. Took a quick look at my hornady manual which doesnt even show this powder for 454Casull.

Pull the rounds apart and start over from scratch with him.

Seen me a Mini-14 that some guy shot (once) using his reloads with bullseye. Vaporized the bolt and bent the receiver into a sort of circle. (I imagine that guy still has a HUH?!? look on his face 20 years later) And luckily he didn't get hurt. Some peoples should stick to buying factory ammo... :blink:

Two other items of education:

1. Understand the ballistics application of powder Burn Rates. IMR4198 and H4198 have a Relative Quickness of 108 and 109 on the Burn Rate Tables. For 45 Colts, need a fast burning powder in the rate of 11 or 12, like Trail Boss, Red Dot and Clays.

2. Also buy a copy of Powder Propellants, that details all the powders made, including international ones ... with loading data not listed in other sources

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Where did he get that loading data?

Can't be from any loading manual I've ever seen.

BTW: I don't reckon I want to take his "off-loaded 4198".

It may not even be 4198. :o

MG

An added point here, this can happen even when using the correct powder, following current guides etc. Some time ago I used to own a 454 Casull that unless you crimped the ever loving p*ss out of the case mouths would do this on a consistent basis. The primer would push a 300 grain slug into the forcing cone of the revolver and lock the gun up with all the unburnt powder stuffed in behind it. Once I got good advice from another shooter of the caliber and crimped them correctly ignition was 100% reliable but the brass only lasted about three passes through the shoot and reload mill. It didnt take long to figure out the gun while fun and impressive to shoot was a waste of time. Went back to the 45Colt with heavy loads in the Ruger when it was absolutely necessary.

Pick Pocket have him take John Boy' advice and not only get good references but to read them, not just the loading tables but the info about powder, primers, procedures the whole thing from A to Z.

Drag him carefully away from the loading equipment. <_<

Padlock the loading equipment until he spends some real quality time with a reloading manuel ..... or several.

Coffinmaker

Excellent recommendation!!

Blackfoot

Also works quite nicely in a 38-55 Win Ballard.

Archived