SASS Wire Forum

How To Keep Hands Warm During SASS Shoots?

Zachariah Smith 70528

How To Keep Hands Warm During SASS Shoots?

As I age (whine, whine, elder statesman looms this March) my fingers are becoming very difficult to keep warm while shooting-so much so that even in this normally mild western Oregon climate shooting SASS is loosing it’s appeal. Touching cold metal with bare hands hurts and gloves make SASS shooting almost impossible.

How do you folks in cold climates do it?

I really can’t afford Snow Birding but I think that may be the only way?

I spend about 3 to 4 hours every day outside walking my dog but my fingers are inside mittens with hand warmers on cold days.

Sir

I use 2 sets of chem. handwarmers in the winter , keep 1 set in the pocket of the duster , The other set in the outside pocket to hand off to shooters at the loading table . It seems to help folks out a bit . A good set of light gloves helps but I stay away from unlined leather , Driving gloves will let you feel what you are doing ,picking up brass ect . JMO

See ya down the trail

CHickasaw Bill

Cause it can be mighty cold out here in the midwest - I keep the 12 hour hand warmers (cause I like the warmth - not cause I'm a wimp :unsure:) inside my jacket pockets. I also wear leather sheep lined gloves. I don't take either off until it is time to shoot - seems to work for me.

TL :FlagAm:

I haven't shot a SASS match yet, but even in GA it gets cold enough to make my hands feel like icecicles. I'm cold natured, so staying warm during winter SASS matches is a concern for me as well. I've got a pair of leather gloves that are a size too big. I also have some wool military glove liners that I bought years ago to wear with the work gloves I had to use at a previous job. The liners fit inside the too big gloves perfectly and keep my hands nice and toasty. By themselves the liners are too loosely woven to keep my hands warm, and by themselves the 40 gram thinsulate gloves don't do the job either, but combined they work great. They're too bulky to shoot with, but I recon I can man up enough to stand the cold for a minute while I shoot.

If you insist on shooting bare handed, I would recommend hand warmers as the others have, and a good pair of lined mittens on your hands up until right before you shoot. I've always learned that mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves. When you are done, get everything back on as quickly as possible.

I use the handwarmers as already mentioned. In addition, I have one of the small propane heaters that we set up at the end of the loading table. Let's the on deck shooter at the laoding table get the gloves off and keep the hands warm until they go to the line. Get the gloves back on after finishing at the unloading table. Seems to work for most folks.

Wear a long coat that covers your handguns. Load them quickly, and stick them back in the holsters under your coat. Even if they stay 10-20 degrees warmer than ambient air it's better. Keep your gloves and coat on until ready to shoot, then remove them for shooting. We were at Zero this morning, but it's a dry cold in Cheyenne.

LL'

I like the Grabbers Mega Warmer, one in each coat pocket... www.warmers.com

A trick I learned a long time ago.

Get a purple Chivas Regal bag (you could use any thin flannel, but the booze makes it more fun).

Make two pouches that fit the standard dry chemical hand warmers.

Get two large & wide rubber bands.

Put warmers in the flannel pouch & use the rubber bands to hold them on the inside of your wrists.

Big blood vessels right there, so your whole hand gets warm, and you can keep them on when shooting.

First Choice- warm female body

Second Choice- handwarmers

harry, I would try number one but I'd get my butt kicked....LOL

Another take on what Hedley spoke of is we have a flannel pouch with a velcro band on it.

Put the hand warmers in and velcro to the inside of the wrist. We got ours from Wicked Felina

a couple of years ago. Don't know if they still have them or not. They are called Crazy Thermaband.

Don't remember what the cost but it wasn't much.

Marshal Stone

STAY HOME and watch Football!!!

I'm just PISSED that the Rose Bowl in on Cable and I can't see TCU play :D

Hey Jack,

1:24 3rd quarter, TCU 21, Wisc 13

I use the handwarmers as already mentioned. In addition, I have one of the small propane heaters that we set up at the end of the loading table. Let's the on deck shooter at the laoding table get the gloves off and keep the hands warm until they go to the line. Get the gloves back on after finishing at the unloading table. Seems to work for most folks.

Yep, I do the same thing, however I also have a little propane heater I can hang on my gun cart. I seem to have more friends in the winter. :wacko:

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Preparation is critical. Longjohns are my best friend. I make a point of having a good breakfast, not fast food. Pocket hand warmers are in my gloves and tucked under my shirt. Stay moving, setting targets and picking up brass. I also like to shoot early in the posse, just after hauling my cart from the last stage. Have something warm to drink throughout the day. I will get cold, just not as cold or a fast as if I did not do these things.

I have the heater and hand warners as discused above.

I was talking to a few today about making a small grip warmer for the pistols. Use the handwarmers add them to a small bag to fit over grips when not shooting, take off at loading table, put back on after cleared.

Maybe the heat will burn or melt the rubber from my spare tires too. :wacko:

I have arthritic hands

Below 40 degrees

1. I keep my revolvers in my holsters under my coat to keep the grips from getting to cold.

2. I wear battery heated grabber gloves ($30) when not shooting

Below 50 degrees

2. I am now wearing arthritic gloves ($25), which hold in body heat for the hands.

I shoot without gloves.

I find someone like Turkey Legs and I stick my hands in their pockets....ya gotta love it....lol

KK

Sorry, double tap.

Archived