SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I have the Renegade in .45LC..great rifle fitted with a pioneer kit. [ FYI ..this is the only ONE being used for cowboy in Australia..& only another 4 were imported by Beretta,don't know where they ended up...mine I bought back from a U.S.A TRIP ] Is the Beretta name only on this rifle or was there others ? Was the Renegade only 38/357 & .45LC !
  3. Great stuff & yep we also luv' this wonderful game 'down -under..can't beat good publicity !!
  4. Today
  5. Slice it and give it to the dog...Then buy another one and cook slowly... Texas Lizard Only in the Air Force did I have tuff meat loaf....
  6. 6.2 grains of WST powder and a 200 grain bullet makes for a .45 Colt load that easily makes power factor and burns cleaner than most other powders. Extremely accurate, too. Although I like Red Dot as well for .45 Colt loads. I never think of clean and TrailBoss in the same universe. . Good luck, GJ
  7. And here's a caution from the Lyman die set instructions about overly-hard crimping that seems relevant:
  8. I could not find the thread regarding favorite loads for the 38 special. I noticed some shooters really liked 125 grain bullets with 2.4 grains of clays vs 105 grain bullets with 2.9 grains of clays. I am giving approximate loads since I could not find the thread. Was wondering if it was personal preference or it had to do with how long the sight was off the target. At close targets I have never noticed the difference. When shooting at further away targets I have noticed the sights leaving the target on multiple shots with heavier loads. Just wondering if the power factor was the same with a 125 vs 105 would you see the same lift or rise of the sights from one shot to the other. I hope this better explains my point in the thread. Any further ideas?
  9. Seems like RCBS has learned at least a few things since the 1970s. I'd like to see the instructions that came with that set. I'd imagine the instructions say to back the crimp off when using the dies for .45 auto to just straighten out the belling. And if loading .45 auto rim, then run the crimp down to apply it to that type of round. Further research on The High Road does indicate that it wasn't until about 1980 that RCBS provided a taper crimp rather than a roll crimp die in the .45 auto sets. Perhaps Lyman (my first .45 auto set) had a taper crimp offering earlier than RCBS. Good luck, GJ
  10. Made me wonder how many people practice finding their bedside firearm in total darkness. Also if they practice clearing a jam or reload in total darkness.
  11. I kind of did that years ago. I didn’t reenact the period clothing nor did I use flintlock guns but I camped using primitive methods. Starting a fire on a damp drizzly morning is quite a test of character. So is cooking a rabbit using a wood spit over a fire and cooking wild onions and potatoes (not really wild) just leftovers in our garden two months after harvesting. My spit fell over knocking my skillet into the fire...I had crunchy rabbit with dirty potatoes and onions...I think people pay a lot of money for those minerals and vitamins. It took me a few days but I was getting the hang of it.
  12. My RCBS 3 die .45 acp die set has a sizer, beller/deprimer, and a seater/crimp die. The "crimp ledge" is .740" from the die mouth. The dies are stamped '78, and I bought the taper crimp die (not pictured) a few years later. (edit) I found a die lock ring, and loaded five rounds with the pictured seater/crimper die, and it does NOT apply any sort of sufficient taper crimp before hitting the roll crimp ledge to allow the finished round to drop into my EGW chamber checker block.
  13. I use salt and a low and slow cooking temperature. I like to salt steaks at least 4 hours before cooking and a whole day when possible. For all cuts of beef I cook between 215 and 225 degrees F. I also cook pork ribs at this temperature. Low and slow allows the colligens in the meat to breakdown. For the most tender and juiciest beef cook until the internal temperature is 125 to 130 degrees F. Then remove from low heat and sear the outside over a very hot flame or iron skillet . After searing the internal temp will be 135 to 145 degrees F. Let rest 5 minutes on a warm covered plate before slicing.
  14. Next time have it cut with an EDM machine. Done properly the cut will have a mirror finish.
  15. Are you gonna skin that Smoke Wagon or are you gonna stand there and bleed? *oops, wrong movie* But top ten best line ever.
  16. My order of .45-70 brass arrived today. 200 Starline. Sat in the family room with SWMBO, a case length trimmer and the de-burring tool to start cleaning them up and did about a quarter. Trying to figure out a good load for a lot of 405 and 500 Grain LRNFP bullets I obtained to try out. Weeds coming up in the lawn, so stay off it.
  17. I've loaded .45 auto since 1972. Never seen a .45 auto seat/crimp die that was not a taper crimp style. With .45 auto loads, you are not really crimping, you are returning the case wall to just about a straight line. If half the case wall thickness is visible looking straight down on the nose of the round, you have a perfect "taper crimp", because the other half of the case wall has bit into the bullet.
  18. I get my main match rifle shooting on at about 20 yards. Write down the rear sight elevator notch for that. I sight main match rifle at 100 yards next. Get it on by adding elevator notches to the 20 yards sight setting. Write down that notch number. Put sight back on the 20 yard zero. Shoot matches for ever. When I have a seventy to hundred yard shot to make,. I add back those notches needed for 100 yard zero. Same ammo, same gun. Same cowboy hat. On my Uberti .45 Colt rifles, that would usually work out to the first notch (lowest) for match, and 3rd notch for my velocity of match ammo, which may be slightly more than most folks use, as mine makes WB power factor. Why make it hard? GJ
  19. As you can see I shoot black powder... A lot. I have no desire to make it, because of all the reasons given above. A good source on the legality would be the Illinois State Rifle Association.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.