SASS Wire Forum

1, 2, 3 strikes you're out! (Windows 11 PC)

Got a whole new PC setup a couple of weeks ago.  High speed with graphics card, new 27" monitor and such. It's fast. It's sharp. I knew there would be some struggle adjusting to it. I set up a few things. But I worked for hours with no success on several others.  Investigated on line. But still failed to do what I set out to do. 

Went over to Best Buy and talked to the Geak this morning. 

First, I couldn't get Bluetooth to work with my tablet and phone.  It sayes it's paired on all three devices but disconnects and doesn't transfer picture file. First reply was Bluetooth is not ment to be used to transfer files. Only connect to things like headphones, etc. (Funny,  I did this before with my old PC under release 10) Said I should use cable and plug into PC).

Second,  I couldn't get my shortcuts onto home screen desktop or taskbar across bottom. Never had a problem before.  Said it depends on what you're trying to pin on desktop or taskbar. I've found they shortcut icon goes to a pop-up screen. Still not clear why I can't put on desktop. 

Third, I didn't know it had Bing overlord system that tries to manage your life. I want Google as my default browser search engine. Can't find a way to set default.   No, to get Google set as default browser,  I have to load Chrome that doesn't come on my PC. 

For further "help" I'd need to set an appointment and bring in my box. I'll probably just live with it as it is for now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I think that when you download Google Chrome, it will ask you if you want to set Chrome as your default Browser. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and had to do the same thing. If that doesn't work, you should be able to just put Bing as a desktop icon and leave Chrome open.

A 45 colt inserted into the processor will fix all of windows 11 problems and then you can go back to your old pc and windows 10 and life WILL be better

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another vote for MAC. I have one, missus has one.  Never going back to a Microsoft machine.

• Like 1

This coming June 27, I will be 50 years in the computer business... 25 of them at IBM during the hey-day, and in on the PC since Day 1.

That said, I run Windows 7 for my main workstation.
All my work today is Photoshop, system programming and heavy lifting in Excel.

Linux is the ticket for a GUI based low cost operating system for those not wanting Windows or Macs.
The Mac is a hybrid Unix/Linux under the hood, but entirely under the quality control of Apple.

I run VMware on a big server with 20-odd virtual machines, each tailored with a specific operating system, for a specific purpose.
Win10 for Turbo Tax, etc, etc.
Each of my language compilers lives on its own virtual machine, so it has nothing else to fight with.
These VMs are powered on and off as desired... most of the time are all Off.

File transfer over Bluetooth doesn't work.
It ain't designed for that.
Use WiFi, which is designed for file transfer.

IMO, Windows 11 is a bucket of sh**.
It is your favorite hardware store, where all the goods are still there, but all the doors, windows, and shelves are rearranged.

I am happy to be retired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Winows 10 has worked well for me.  For that reason, I wouldn't touch 11; if I must "upgrade" at some point, I'll wait until 12 is released to correct the 11 shorcomings.  

If you look at Microsoft's history since Windows 95, typically every second release is junk ~ it's almost as if they unload something miserable on us just so they can later sell us something that'll actually work.

image.jpeg.de6b5ae233dc81a8e9f54cf8a7c7afeb.jpeg         Gates Pie GIF - Gates Pie Face GIFs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It is my understanding the Windows generational teams are two:  think of one as Odd, the other as Even.
The alternate version appear to be more designed by the same team that did the one two generations back.

Win2000 and WinNT come to mind.

I buy Win10 licenses (retail type, not OEM) for cheap from the various online vendors who buy and resell them.
Sometimes the license key works right away, at other times you have to go through the tedious online authentication and entering those 9 or 10 groups of codes.

Retail allows you to move the license from one machine to a new one, OEM does not.
If you have an OEM license it is bound forever to the hardware signature of its hosting machine.
A major change, such as a motherboard invalidates the OEM license.

• Like 1

Best Buy is a waste of space, time, and effort.  hey don't know, they don't care, and the don't ever pretend to be courteous or helpful.  

Unfortunately, the Cricket Flip phone they sell is the only one I think is worth a flea's fart....so I'll probably go in tomorrow and buy another one.  My T-Mobile is overly complex for my purposes. Verizon and Consumer Cellular were both worse, and a half dozen others don't even deserve comment.  I've tried a bunch and will go back to the Cricket.

We started doing some business with Best Buy years ago. The store we most often used had a big black guy that was paid by Samsung.  Looked more like a door bouncer or center on football team. But he knew his stuff. I use Samsung phone and tablet.  Unfortunately,  he's no longer there. Buying from this Best Buy seems no better than Wally-World or online. Two Best Buy in our area have shut down. 

I bought a TV, 4k blu-ray player, and some Rode wireless mics from BB.
Price was no better nor worse than anywhere else.

If Costco had offered the TV, I would have bought there, but they don't.
BB got the business because they had in-stock what I wanted, local in-town and free delivery.
Same prices as New York or Newegg in CA, but without the shipping delays.

I bought my first smart phone (iPhone 13 Pro Max) directly from the T-Mobile store.
My wife and I are both on my daughter's plan, so my part is cheap, my bride's part is free.
No complaints.

22 hours ago, bgavin said:

This coming June 27, I will be 50 years in the computer business... 25 of them at IBM during the hey-day, and in on the PC since Day 1.

That said, I run Windows 7 for my main workstation.
All my work today is Photoshop, system programming and heavy lifting in Excel.

Linux is the ticket for a GUI based low cost operating system for those not wanting Windows or Macs.
The Mac is a hybrid Unix/Linux under the hood, but entirely under the quality control of Apple.

I run VMware on a big server with 20-odd virtual machines, each tailored with a specific operating system, for a specific purpose.
Win10 for Turbo Tax, etc, etc.
Each of my language compilers lives on its own virtual machine, so it has nothing else to fight with.
These VMs are powered on and off as desired... most of the time are all Off.

File transfer over Bluetooth doesn't work.
It ain't designed for that.
Use WiFi, which is designed for file transfer.

IMO, Windows 11 is a bucket of sh**.
It is your favorite hardware store, where all the goods are still there, but all the doors, windows, and shelves are rearranged.

I am happy to be retired.

I am right there with you. Started in 1970 in the computer field on the IBM 1401 then on to the IBM 360-30 running DOS Power so we could run a program and print at the same time. Everything has really changed since then. I am happily retired and glad the only 2 computers I see now are mine and my wife's laptops. 

TM

• Like 1

Not that it's important to this topic but I worked 33 years in an engineering department of a fortune 500 company.  The IBM mainframe was in a room big as a dance hall.  Had large pipes running out to a big man-made lake to cool it. Lots of tape drives and disk packs.  A small army of keypunch girls punching out cards. I evolved into writing and maintaining code in Fortran and Cobol to automate the design system.  Every few years the IBM mainframe system got smaller and more powerful.  Everything was done on line. The keypunch girls were deverted to other jobs. Every few years we got new top managers.  Most came from some failed business. One bunch wanted to kill the IBM blue ox and replace it with a hundred PC. They were accustomed to Excell spreadsheets and charts and graphs.  Anyway,  soon PCs were everywhere.  In my opinion,  it was a couple farce trying to keep the software,  operating system and PC hardware up to date and compatible.  About the last 5 years my job was working on a team trying to replace the mainframe design systems on the PC. Code was in Visual Basic. Made calls to other software packages.  It was a nightmare to keep thing going.  I took early retirement in 2005. The company has changed hands a couple of times.  They never got off the mainframe.   Still using the design programs developed decades ago. 

I have a computer science degree that was earned before PC were invented.  I've taken many PC software courses.  But time and distance has made all this experience and education useless.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Not that it's important to this topic but I worked 33 years in an engineering department of a fortune 500 company.  The IBM mainframe was in a room big as a dance hall.  Had large pipes running out to a big man-made lake to cool it. Lots of tape drives and disk packs.  A small army of keypunch girls punching out cards. I evolved into writing and maintaining code in Fortran and Cobol to automate the design system.  Every few years the IBM mainframe system got smaller and more powerful.  Everything was done on line. The keypunch girls were deverted to other jobs. Every few years we got new top managers.  Most came from some failed business. One bunch wanted to kill the IBM blue ox and replace it with a hundred PC. They were accustomed to Excell spreadsheets and charts and graphs.  Anyway,  soon PCs were everywhere.  In my opinion,  it was a couple farce trying to keep the software,  operating system and PC hardware up to date and compatible.  About the last 5 years my job was working on a team trying to replace the mainframe design systems on the PC. Code was in Visual Basic. Made calls to other software packages.  It was a nightmare to keep thing going.  I took early retirement in 2005. The company has changed hands a couple of times.  They never got off the mainframe.   Still using the design programs developed decades ago. 

I have a computer science degree that was earned before PC were invented.  I've taken many PC software courses.  But time and distance has made all this experience and education useless.  

I hear ya. Our cell phones these days have more computing capabilities than the large mainframes that took up a whole warehouse had. When they started switching over to the client/servers they pretty much killed the mainframes. Only the large government and insurance companies for the most part kept a mainframe. I learned ALC, Cobol, PL1 and Fortran more years than I want to admit ago. Times sure have changed for us old dogs for sure.

TM

• Like 1

In my younger years at IBM, I remember it took two of us to roll the chassis for 64k (not MB or GB) across the floor at Bank of America.

I also remembered being tasked to replace a bit in a core array at a Wells Fargo machine.
I had the youngest eyes and was best suited to thread the X/Y lines into the metal donut that constituted the "bit".

I always laugh at the folks who claim their desktop computer has more power than a mainframe.
Yes, an Intel desktop CPU runs at a hugely faster clock rate.

The mainframe has separate standalone memory and disk controllers.
This allows each to run independent of the processor, thus parallelizing the simultaneous work streams.
This allows a staggering amount of work to be done in any unit of real time.

The mainframe CPU sends the request to one (of many) storage control units, then disconnects to process elsewhere.
The storage control unit sends the request to one of several disk controllers that handles the disk drives.

When systems are viewed in relative human time measurement terms,  it takes years for a disk to return data after it receives the CPU data request.
The rotational delay is orders of magnitude slower, so it is pointless for a CPU to wait for disk data.

Desktop processors that multi-thread can jump to a different thread while waiting for disk data to return.
This means having a window open with an Excel spread sheet, and another open with a Word document.

The photo below qualifies as a "selfie" even though taken in 1977 with a Nikon 35mm.
The System 370 Model 168 was my first main frame.

1977.Bruce.FiremansFund.jpg

Edited by bgavin
typos
  • Like 3