SASS Wire Forum

wild bunch in Australia

Irish Pat

Don't believe everything you read.

I did a quick count on the Used guns site and there is a dozen + 1911's (various models and calibers but inc .45) for sale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not all states have approval to shoot WB, & some shoot it  under the name of Mexican Stand off   or Rosevelt , but still WB,,,87's used in place of the banned  97  [ or SXS ]... 1911 45's are  allowed...never really thought I'd partake myself but ended up getting all the gear & have a shot when the mood gets me

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Not all states have approval to shoot WB, & some shoot it  under the name of Mexican Stand off   or Rosevelt , but still WB,,,87's used in place of the banned  97  [ or SXS ]... 1911 45's are  allowed...never really thought I'd partake myself but ended up getting all the gear & have a shot when the mood gets me

Interesting......just out of couriosity why is the '97 banned in Australia?

It's scary if it has a heat shield.:lol:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Interesting......just out of couriosity why is the '97 banned in Australia?

Howdy Mikey..A lot of stupid laws down-under in relation to gun ownership...the word auto or pump straight off scares 'em, but   you can  have  them  for  clays with an endorsement on your fire arm license..  the pump action shotgun  is not allowed for  single action, wild bunch or others. The crazy part is you can own a pump action rifle in any caliber. 

Further a pistol license can only be up to a .38 [ revolver or auto ], above that is another endorsement...all pistols can only be used for competition & there is a minimum  range attendance requirement for each year. A handgun & longarm license in my state of Queensland is nearly $ 300 for 5 years, further you pay around $45 for a 'permit to acquire' for each  gun that you purchase.No limit on how many guns you can own although they do try to knock people back for  petty reasons, gun & safe checks are carried out by the police with  appointments  to suit each party[ must admit I've never had a gun check in over 20 years- did have a safe inspection in '08 ]  Professional feral animal hunters can have auto's, mostly those shooting out of choppers.

That's just a bit of info  to give you the idea of  what it's like down here , enough to make you sick I reckon !!!

Cheers 'Mohawk

Edited by Painted Mohawk SASS 77785
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Can you own a .455 Webley?

Howdy HK...Short answer yes, those that have a collectors license  [ historical arms ] would have them.

For the use in competition only Single action, Silhouette & practical allow over .38, I am only referring to my home state as others can be different..I suppose someone could use the Webley if they wished for silhouette...they are trying to get a national firearms register  but the states can't even properly administer what they have, it's a complete balls up & money grab.

Please lower a big chain, hook us up & do a dirt weld to Florida ...at least that way we'd have a chance..oh don't worry the 26 million gun haters will be tossed over before we get there, so that's only 1 mill coming your way ...way better than what's crossing your borders  at the moment !!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Orient Express said:

Yes you can shoot WB, but you have to be riding a kangaroo and also must be using a boomerang as a prop.

Stealing my stage instructions again?

Also we have WB and some clubs that shoot Webley .455 in an event they call Colonial. Thats NSW which is different to QLD where PM is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Also we have WB and some clubs that shoot Webley .455 in an event they call Colonial.

Well, the Webley WAS "The Peacemaker of the British Empire."

They are cool guns.  I've got 4 of them.  Two Mark VI, one Mark V and a Mark IV .38.   My nephew also has an unshaved Mark VI.  Got letters for all of them

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 8:22 AM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy Mikey..A lot of stupid laws down-under in relation to gun ownership...the word auto or pump straight off scares 'em, but   you can  have  them  for  clays with an endorsement on your fire arm license..  the pump action shotgun  is not allowed for  single action, wild bunch or others. The crazy part is you can own a pump action rifle in any caliber. 

Further a pistol license can only be up to a .38 [ revolver or auto ], above that is another endorsement...all pistols can only be used for competition & there is a minimum  range attendance requirement for each year. A handgun & longarm license in my state of Queensland is nearly $ 300 for 5 years, further you pay around $45 for a 'permit to acquire' for each  gun that you purchase.No limit on how many guns you can own although they do try to knock people back for  petty reasons, gun & safe checks are carried out by the police with  appointments  to suit each party[ must admit I've never had a gun check in over 20 years- did have a safe inspection in '08 ]  Professional feral animal hunters can have auto's, mostly those shooting out of choppers.

That's just a bit of info  to give you the idea of  what it's like down here , enough to make you sick I reckon !!!

Cheers 'Mohawk

Thanks for the explaination Mohawk. I guess politicians are the same worldwide making feel good laws that defy logic.

• Like 3

These three came up for sale today.

In NSW we can buy 1911 .45 with a High Cal permit.

Before you ask, yes, they really are that expensive here.

Calibre/Item: 45 ACP

Make: Colt
Model: 1911 US Army1918 series.       622775a.jpg
Scope: Open
Condition: Good
Price: $3500
Advertised: 25/03/2024
Comment: Deceased estate. Historical US Army edition 1911. Owner was an avid collector of military firearms. The pistol was shot only a number of times. In...
Private Ad State: VIC

622773a.jpg

Model: 1911 Government series 1970 series.
Scope: Open
Condition: Very Good
Price: $2000
Comment: Deceased estate. Owner was an avid collector of military firearms. The pistol was shot a handful of times. In very good condition for its age....

huntthenightbanner.gif
622771a.jpg

Model: 911A1 Government issue 100 Year edition
Scope: Open sights
Condition: Excellent
Price: $3000
Comment: Deceased estate. 100 year anniversary model for the 911. Owner was a collector, only shot the pistol once to ensure it worked. Been stored in...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I've shot a lot of these, just never liked them -

Capture.JPG.c3a5ab6e831966e60dd4abd55a1d8baa.JPG

I originally obtained one just cuz I thought they looked cool and wanted to have one.

The first one I got was the Mark IV .38.   Then I got the Mark VI.  Sadly, like most here in the US, it was "shaved" for .45 ACP.   You can safely download the round for use, but it's a pain to have to do so.   I liked it so much, I got a second one to shoot the pain in Wild Bunch matches.  Then SASS created rules for WB and it became a 1911 only game.   But I didn't care, it was still a cool pair of guns.  A few years later, I found a Mark V with the long barrel.

Anyway, I'd like to get at least 1 more Mark V in the more traditional short barrel configuration, and preferably still in the original .455 Webley caliber.  Time will tell if and when I can do so. :)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

y'all keep misspelling calibER  

but then you drive on the left side of the road, too  :D

We have a few like that...caliber-calibre...theater- theatre...favorite- favourite & many more.

I write em' your way on the wire  just so ya's  don't pick on us   :P

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/25/2024 at 7:01 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I originally obtained one just cuz I thought they looked cool and wanted to have one.

The first one I got was the Mark IV .38.   Then I got the Mark VI.  Sadly, like most here in the US, it was "shaved" for .45 ACP.   You can safely download the round for use, but it's a pain to have to do so.   I liked it so much, I got a second one to shoot the pain in Wild Bunch matches.  Then SASS created rules for WB and it became a 1911 only game.   But I didn't care, it was still a cool pair of guns.  A few years later, I found a Mark V with the long barrel.

Anyway, I'd like to get at least 1 more Mark V in the more traditional short barrel configuration, and preferably still in the original .455 Webley caliber.  Time will tell if and when I can do so. :)

Too bad you aren't near N Texas. The Texas Doughboys have categories specifically for your Webley's, Broom Handles, and a whole bunch more.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 4:49 AM, Orient Express said:

And we also use the metric system.

Why?

That crazy French system has messed so many things up!

Interestingly enough, contrary to popular misconception here in the US, the UK has not *really* gone metric.  Yes, they due use celcius to tell you the temperature outside, but several people told me that ovens are in Farenheit.  The spedomitor and odomiter in cars are in miles, not kilometers, and all road signs and distances are given in miles or yards.  Ask someone how much something weighs, and they are likely to tell you how many "stone" it is, which is, I forget, so many pounds.  Kilos or kilograms are not mentioned.  Same for height.  People referred to how tall they were in feet and inches, not centimeters or portions of a meter.  Folks in the UK were VERY upset when the EU told pubs they had to start selling glasses of beer by however many milliliters instead of by the pint.  (I maintain this was the real reason for Brexit.)  Curiously, a UK pint is slightly bigger than a US pint.  Ounces are the same size though.  Interestingly, I was surprised at how cheap gas, or petrol as they call it, seemed to be.  If I recall correctly, it was 1.65.  But then I remembered that this the price per Pound, not Dollar, and then I realized it was price her liter, not gallon.   So it was more like $5.  Ouch!  

It's very curious.  Especially since the UK is "officially" metric.  But in practical reality, there seems to be a mixture of Metric and Imperial measurements.

Oh, and by the way, in the US, we don't use Imperial.  We use "Customary American Measurements."  (Yeah, I wish we had a better term.  I refer "normal.")  I make the distinction because there are some differences in the US and UK measurements, in spite of using the same name.  The aforementioned pint is one example.  Tons are also different.  In the US, a ton is 2000 pounds.  In the UK, it's 2200.  Neither should be confused with the strange "metric ton" which comes in at I have no idea how many pounds.  But it should be spelled tonne, to avoid confusion!  There are other minor differences as well.   I think gallon, and possibly mile are also different, but inches, feet and yards are the same.

Nuff said.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Why?

That crazy French system has messed so many things up!

Interestingly enough, contrary to popular misconception here in the US, the UK has not *really* gone metric.  Yes, they due use celcius to tell you the temperature outside, but several people told me that ovens are in Farenheit.  The spedomitor and odomiter in cars are in miles, not kilometers, and all road signs and distances are given in miles or yards.  Ask someone how much something weighs, and they are likely to tell you how many "stone" it is, which is, I forget, so many pounds.  Kilos or kilograms are not mentioned.  Same for height.  People referred to how tall they were in feet and inches, not centimeters or portions of a meter.  Folks in the UK were VERY upset when the EU told pubs they had to start selling glasses of beer by however many milliliters instead of by the pint.  (I maintain this was the real reason for Brexit.)  Curiously, a UK pint is slightly bigger than a US pint.  Ounces are the same size though.  Interestingly, I was surprised at how cheap gas, or petrol as they call it, seemed to be.  If I recall correctly, it was 1.65.  But then I remembered that this the price per Pound, not Dollar, and then I realized it was price her liter, not gallon.   So it was more like $5.  Ouch!  

It's very curious.  Especially since the UK is "officially" metric.  But in practical reality, there seems to be a mixture of Metric and Imperial measurements.

Oh, and by the way, in the US, we don't use Imperial.  We use "Customary American Measurements."  (Yeah, I wish we had a better term.  I refer "normal.")  I make the distinction because there are some differences in the US and UK measurements, in spite of using the same name.  The aforementioned pint is one example.  Tons are also different.  In the US, a ton is 2000 pounds.  In the UK, it's 2200.  Neither should be confused with the strange "metric ton" which comes in at I have no idea how many pounds.  But it should be spelled tonne, to avoid confusion!  There are other minor differences as well.   I think gallon, and possibly mile are also different, but inches, feet and yards are the same.

Nuff said.

I'm sure you know but we in Australia are not the UK even though we are still part of the Commonwealth.

2 hours ago, Orient Express said:

I'm sure you know but we in Australia are not the UK even though we are still part of the Commonwealth.

Yes,   I know.   That's why I didn't comment on how extensive metric use is in Australia; I've never been there, so I don't know.  :)   But knowing of the Commonwealth connection, that allowed me to "transition" to talking about what I had seen somewhere I had been, if that makes any sense.

I would like to visit Australia some day, there's a lot of things there I'd like to see.  As and Paul Hogan once said, "And we speak the same language.  Although you lot do have a funny accent."  Of course, he was speaking about the American one.  I think.

BTW, I do own a few Australian surplus guns.  My Martini Enfield (.303), SMLE and a S&W Victory Model all have Australian status.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Curiously, a UK pint is slightly bigger than a US pint.  Ounces are the same size though.

Yes the pint measurement is different but so is the ounce.

For Example:

The British Imperial fluid ounce is equal to 28.413 milliliters, while the US Customary fluid ounce is 29.573 ml.

The British Imperial pint is 568.261 ml (20 fluid ounces), while the US Customary pint is 473.176 ml (16 fl oz).

The British Imperial quart is 1.13 liters (40 fl oz), while the US Customary quart is 0.94 L (32 fl oz).

The British Imperial gallon is 4.54 L (160 fl oz), while the US Customary gallon is 3.78 L (128 fl oz).

Why a Pint is Bigger in the UK than in the US

On 4/2/2024 at 10:22 PM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

.I kinda like the other & still use & speak it often

Depends on your age, being us old farts PM a 3.2kg baby means nothing to me.....but a 9.8lb I know is a biggun!

Same as 180cm person height means nothing but 6' I understand. But fishing line is still often sold in lb rating down here, inches for wheel rims, TV screens, surfboards, fishing rods.

The youngun's scratch their heads when you talk about thousands of an inch, inches, feet, imperial drill bits etc.

• Like 2