SASS Wire Forum

7mm or 6.5x55

I shoot a Remington 7 mag and I love it. I’m a Pennsylvania deer hunter so I load it down to 7 Mauser levels. It would be the last deer rifle I would ever sell

I own a couple of 6.5x55, but haven't shot them in a while.  I am a big fan of the 6.5X55 for accuracy, mild recoil and good ballistics.  The 6.5 Creedmoor comes close to duplicating the 6.5x55 in a shorter (.308 length) action at slightly higher pressures.

• Like 1

6.5 x 55 is a sweet little round. Like most 6mm and 6.5mm it has an inherent accuracy, mild recoil, and is adequate for most North American game.  One guy I knew used a sporterized Swedish Mauser for elk hunting.  

• Like 1

Another 6.5x55 fan here. Superb cartridge and nice to shoot.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

as to the 7mm Rem MAG . ain't got much use for one 

the 6,5x55 that I am looking at pretty hard , getting a want for one 

another ctg , that is of interest , is the 6,5x50 Jap , looks to be very efficient 

CB 

6.5 x 50 Japanese isn't particularity available or cheap to shoot and as far as I know was never chambered in rifle then the Japanese Type 38 service rifle.

6.5 Creedmoor will do most, if not all, of what the 6.5 x 55 does.  Not trying to toot the horn of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but there seem to be a lot more options for that caliber when it comes to rifles, loaded ammo and components.

The 7mm Rem Mag and the 6.5x55 are really not comparable.

The 7x57 Mauser (or 7mm-08 Rem if you prefer an Americanized 7mm) are closer in performance.

• Like 2

I shoot both, and like each one.  Love my 7mm Rem Mag for hunting out west, and the 6.5x55 is terrific here in the east.  Both can shoot MOA or less (the rifles, not necessarily me...) and as we reloaders know, you can tailor your loads for your intended purpose.  The two form a good "bracket" for my shooting needs.   SB

The recoil from factory 7mm Mag is worth noting. Recoil from 6.5X55 aka 6.5 Swede makes it a pleasant round to shoot.  

Nice thing is if you reload, you can tame the recoil of a 7mm Mag. 

As for comparing the 2, they are not very similar when it comes to down range ballistics.

For long range hunting like you find out west, the 7mm Mag wins hands down.

For hunting whitetails at 300 yards or less and general target shooting I'd go with the 6.5X55

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2

I shoot a 260. Ballistic twin of the Swede. Love it. I’d shoot anything short of brown bear polar bear with it.

I shoot a 270 and up to 150 grain bullets does not give up enough to a 7 mag to make any difference. Nor does a 280 Ackley (also a 7mm). 

You really need a 24-26” barrel to realize full powder burn in magnums. If you look at published data on magnums it’s often 24-26” barrel used. Standard calibers typically done from 22” barrel. A magnum really doesn’t gain much in a 20-22” barrel over a standard cartridge. It just adds recoil and noise with a marginal gain.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The recoil from factory 7mm Mag is worth noting. Recoil from 6.5X55 aka 6.5 Swede makes it a pleasant round to shoot.  

Nice thing is if you reload, you can tame the recoil of a 7mm Mag. 

As for comparing the 2, they are not very similar when it comes to down range ballistics.

For long range hunting like you find out west, the 7mm Mag wins hands down.

For hunting whitetails at 300 yards or less and general target shooting I'd go with the 6.5X55

I sold my Remington 700 w/scope in 7mm Rem Mag.

Good, accurate rifle but the recoil just wasn't worth it. Basically gave the ammo/brass away.

• Like 2