SASS Wire Forum

SNAKE TURNED IN UNDER AMNESTY

SNAKE TURNED IN UNDER AMNESTY

Posted on Jan 17, 2017 in Main

NR17-03
Jan. 17, 2017 

HONOLULU – An illegal snake was turned in over the weekend under the State’s Amnesty Program. The snake was turned in on the evening of Friday, Jan. 13th to the Hawaiian Humane Society on Oahu. Inspectors from the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA) picked up the snake the next morning and it is being safeguarded at the Plant Quarantine Branch. It has been identified as a ball python and measures about four-and-a-half feet long and weighs about four-and-a-half lbs.

Snakes are illegal in Hawaii. They have no natural predators here and pose a serious threat to Hawaii’s environment because they compete with native animal populations for food and habitat. Many species also prey on birds and their eggs, increasing the threat to endangered native birds. Large snakes can also be a danger to the public and small pets.

Ball pythons are non-venomous and are common in the pet trade on the mainland. They are native to Western and West-Central Africa and are related to boas, which are also constrictors that subdue its prey by coiling around and suffocating it.  Its diet usually consists of small mammals and birds.  Ball pythons may grow up to six-feet long.

Under the amnesty program, illegal animals may be turned in to any HDOA office, Honolulu Zoo, Panaewa Zoo on Hawaii Island or any Humane Society – no questions asked and no fines assessed. Anyone with information about illegal animals should call the toll-free PEST HOTLINE at 643-PEST (7378).  The maximum penalty under State law for possession and/or transporting illegal animals is a class C felony, $200,000 fine and up to three years in prison.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how they handled that illegal substance?

Heroin is illegal in Florida. If I turned in 5 pounds of heroin they would put it in the incinerator and destroy it.

Unlicensed machine guns are illegal in Florida. If I turned in an unlicensed machine gun it would go to the chop shop and destroyed.

Snakes are illegal in Hawaii. They turn it into the zoo. Did the zoo kill it?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Heroin is illegal in Florida. If I turned in 5 pounds of heroin they would put it in the incinerator and destroy it.

Unlicensed machine guns are illegal in Florida. If I turned in an unlicensed machine gun it would go to the chop shop and destroyed.

Glass container/enclosure (cage).

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

Wonder if the Zoo(s) in Hawaii have a collection of snakes? 

Florida's current invasion was caused when a breeding facility was destroyed by a hurricane. Wonder of Hawaii has taken precautions to prevent a similar event by limiting collection to only males of the species.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I hope they killed it! It’s a d$&n snake for crying out loud!:o

• Haha 2

Snakes are good and necessary creatures, but not outside their original natural habitat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If it becomes known that a snake would be killed the owners would be more likely to free them in the wild rather than surrender them.

That's what happens to all those dogs turned loose in the country.

"If I take Rover to the pound, they'll kill him. I'll take him out to the country and let him go, and some farmer will give him a nice home."

Yeah, some farmer will shoot him on sight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

That's what happens to all those dogs turned loose in the country.

"If I take Rover to the pound, they'll kill him. I'll take him out to the country and let him go, and some farmer will give him a nice home."

Yeah, some farmer will shoot him on sight.

Many dogs taken to the pound in the south are shipped north for adoption, not all but many.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 6:33 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Wonder if the Zoo(s) in Hawaii have a collection of snakes? 

Florida's current invasion was caused when a breeding facility was destroyed by a hurricane. Wonder of Hawaii has taken precautions to prevent a similar event by limiting collection to only males of the species.

When I lived in Hawaii the state had to pass a special law in order to allow the Honolulu Zoo to obtain two male snakes to display. Often have wondered if that’s ever changed. Based on the snake problems in Florida it would be a true catastrophe if even a few got loose in Hawaii. 

Seamus

im not in favor of amnesty for invasive species - be them two legged or and other variation , but certainly not the scaly types - we got too much of them already - especially the two legged ones , 

• Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 9:14 AM, Alpo said:

They probably spent $10,000 shipping it to Florida.  

• Like 1