SASS Wire Forum

The state of manners today. Lack of etiquette.

Back in the late-ish '90s, there seemed to be a perception that if you had a 'cell' phone you were successful and rolling in money, ..... I was not.

.... so, anyway one day I gets this call from what appeared to a lady with a Filipina accent, and she's trying to sell me shares in a race horse. I strung her along for a bit and politely informed her that in my personal opinion the only people who made an honest, moral income from race horses were those who sold them the oats and those who carted the oats away after the horse had finished with them.    .... she hung up.

About 3 minutes later my phone rang again, ....... same voice, same sales pitch. i interrupted her and asked if she'd recently had a discussion about oats; ....... I can still hear the sound of her slamming the handset down into the receiver ...........  fond memories -_-

Edited by Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062
speeling erer
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Dilli GaHoot Galoot said:

I feel like they skipped over some parts there, those scams usually involve some phishing, like the scammer being really polite and friendly and engaging the mark in conversation with things like admitting they got the area code wrong and than asking if your from the area your phones area code is linked to or anything else to get you to divulge personal information that can be used to access your accounts.  Think about the security questions that you give answers to when you set up an account, like where did you graduate high school, where did you get married, what was your first car or pet.   Sad reality is that the scam artist relly on the desire to have manners and be polite because that keeps you engaged and gives them more chances to trick you into telling them things.

well , ill admit i was not privy to the entire events but i saw the results and im very cautious after seeing it , ill let yall do as you please , but when i get those texts that there is a package at fed ex they cant deliver i just delete it , 

• Like 1

If you are so worried about identity theft that you almost never answer your phone,  get rid of it.   Get off all social media,  including this forum (while it hasn't happened in a while,  think about the spammers that occasionally hit SASS Wire, you really think that they can't mine information here?), don't drive any vehicle newer than about 1980.  Do all your business in cash.  Don't have any bank or store accounts.   Never have insurance of any kind.  Don't see any doctor or dentist. 

7 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Back in the late-ish '90s, there seemed to be a perception that if you had a 'cell' phone you were successful and rolling in money, ..... I was not.

.... so, anyway one day I gets this call from what appeared to a lady with a Filipina accent, and she's trying to sell me shares in a race horse. I strung her along for a bit and politely informed her that in my personal opinion the only people who made an honest, moral income from race horses were those who sold them the oats and those who carted the oats away after the horse had finished with them.    .... she hung up.

About 3 minutes later my phone rang again, ....... same voice, same sales pitch. i interrupted her and asked if she'd recently had a discussion about oats; ....... I can still hear the sound of her slamming the handset down into the receiver ...........  fond memories -_-

When I lived in Oregon I had a personal phone and a work cell phone. Almost daily I got some BS call on my work phone and I was getting pretty tired of it so I decided to have fun with them. Especially the Indian guys calling from a Tennessee area code to tell me the IRS was coming after me. 
The phone would ring. I would see the Tennessee area code and answer it and turn on the speaker. 
Right away this Indian guy would start telling me I owed $5000 in taxes and unless I paid it right now the FBI and the U.S. Marshals were coming to arrest me. 
My response, in a calm cool sultry voice, would go like this:

“Really?”

”Yes. You must pay now!”

”You sound like a pretty big guy. How tall are you? What’s your weight?”

”I am 6 feet tall. I weigh 200 pounds. I am muscular.”

”Wow, that sounds great. What are wearing right now?”

”What’s this have to do with anything?” He’s getting angry…good.

”I am just trying to get an image of you in my mind… what are you wearing?”

”A red polo shirt, blue jeans and black police footwear, why?” The police footwear almost made me laugh.

”Boy you sure sound scrappy. Are you scrappy?”

”Uh…yeah, I think so.”

”Tell me, do you have facial hair?”

”WHAT DOES THIS MATTER! What is wrong with you?”

”Well , do you scrappy man? Do you have facial hair?”

”YES! I have a mustache.”

”Perfect. I hope you have hairy chest too. I love running my fingers through chest hair. It’s quite sexy.” “WHAT? You (blankety blank blank blank)” CLICK

Then we all got a great laugh out of it. 
Every time I got one of those types of calls it went similar to that. Eventually the calls stopped. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

When I lived in Oregon I had a personal phone and a work cell phone. Almost daily I got some BS call on my work phone and I was getting pretty tired of it so I decided to have fun with them. Especially the Indian guys calling from a Tennessee area code to tell me the IRS was coming after me. 
The phone would ring. I would see the Tennessee area code and answer it and turn on the speaker. 
Right away this Indian guy would start telling me I owed $5000 in taxes and unless I paid it right now the FBI and the U.S. Marshals were coming to arrest me. 
My response, in a calm cool sultry voice, would go like this:

“Really?”

”Yes. You must pay now!”

”You sound like a pretty big guy. How tall are you? What’s your weight?”

”I am 6 feet tall. I weigh 200 pounds. I am muscular.”

”Wow, that sounds great. What are wearing right now?”

”What’s this have to do with anything?” He’s getting angry…good.

”I am just trying to get an image of you in my mind… what are you wearing?”

”A red polo shirt, blue jeans and black police footwear, why?” The police footwear almost made me laugh.

”Boy you sure sound scrappy. Are you scrappy?”

”Uh…yeah, I think so.”

”Tell me, do you have facial hair?”

”WHAT DOES THIS MATTER! What is wrong with you?”

”Well , do you scrappy man? Do you have facial hair?”

”YES! I have a mustache.”

”Perfect. I hope you have hairy chest too. I love running my fingers through chest hair. It’s quite sexy.” “WHAT? You (blankety blank blank blank)” CLICK

Then we all got a great laugh out of it. 
Every time I got one of those types of calls it went similar to that. Eventually the calls stopped. 

Sometimes when they start their spiel, I'll reply with, (best Indian accent), "Hello, this is Bob from Microsoft our engineers have determined that there is a problem with your computer". They don't stay on long after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Sometimes when they start their spiel, I'll reply with, (best Indian accent), "Hello, this is Bob from Microsoft our engineers have determined that there is a problem with your computer". They don't stay on long after that.

That’s a good one. :lol:

One of my coworkers used to mimic the caller and repeat everything they said back to them in their own accent. 
It was pretty funny to watch him do that. The call never last more than 20-30 seconds. 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:00 PM, Pat Riot said:

Sounds like my sixth grade coach telling us “If you kiss a girl, you’ll get VD!”

No one can steal your identity from responding to a text. 

It all depends on what the kissing leads too 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

iPhone > Settings > Phone > Silence Unknown Callers > ON

ALL callers not in your iPhone Contacts will go straight to your voice mail.

Interesting.
I have voice mail not-configured on my iPhone because I don't want to be arsed with cleaning out the box.

I wonder if your method above sends them straight to Trash or some other bit bucket.
My number is 32 years old, so I'm on every spam list known to spammers.

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

My grandson excels at the Indian telemarketer accent.
He leads them on and eventually promises if they will marry his daughter, he will give them a goat.

My only attempt at harassing these clods went like this:
Her: "My name is Debbie, what is yours?"
Me:  "My name is Rakesh Kendelwall (in best Indian accent)"

Her: "I am not of thinking your name is Rakesh"
Me:  "And I am not of thinking your name is Debbie."

< click >

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Back to rudeness. Sold a gun on Armslist today, buyer spent the entire time we met, looked at the and gun gave me the money. on his phone.

You see that a lot these days. Some years ago, I was in the checkout line at Walmart, (before self checkout), behind a woman on her phone. She placed her purchases on the belt, still yakking on her phone. When the cashier told her the amount, she actually looked annoyed that she had to stop talking on the phone long enough to pay for her stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Back to rudeness. Sold a gun on Armslist today, buyer spent the entire time we met, looked at the and gun gave me the money. on his phone.

Smart phones definitely have changed our culture. They have increased and decreased communication in many different ways. How many times have you been having a meal in a restaurant and seen an entire family with their noses buried in their phones instead of talking with each other? It used to be meal time was a time to find out what was happening with everyone in the family. Now I guess we just text . Technology is changing how we interact with each other at a faster pace than ever. There’s no putting the genie back in the bottle at this point short of some world altering events 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

60B8A9F9-29DD-4B39-8C76-D5DCF85A7477.png

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

That is just SO wrong. Most people wouldn't be recording in Landscape.

It seems like most people would have their back to the ship, so they would be taking selfies, of themselves in the same picture with the ship going down.

• Like 3

Before I retired I tracked paroled Sex Offenders. When I would get a wrong number, there was usually a loooooong pause when I answered as always, "Sex Offender Supervision Unit, Agent Collier."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you are so worried about identity theft that you almost never answer your phone,  get rid of it.   Get off all social media,  including this forum (while it hasn't happened in a while,  think about the spammers that occasionally hit SASS Wire, you really think that they can't mine information here?), don't drive any vehicle newer than about 1980.  Do all your business in cash.  Don't have any bank or store accounts.   Never have insurance of any kind.  Don't see any doctor or dentist. 

i answer my phone to those that are in my contacts , i will respond to a legitimate call that leaves a message when i dont answer , in general i dont need to talk to a sales call , i dont need to respond to those texts , i dont use my phone a lot , im still a guy with the "rotary dial and party line " mentality , if someone doesnt like that they can kiss my red neck a$$ , but in general most of my friends accept it as do my family , the rest of the world can speed up all it wants im not playing , 

there are times when i need to add temp contacts into my phone - i can do that , i can delete if needed , 

i dont want to be on my phone a lot - im on here enough , im not a junkie of the internet or social media or phone calls , if i had my druthers my phone would have a cord attached to the wall , but my family have overridden that , so i got this smart phone that i put up with , yes its convienent at times but no im not attached to it like some these days are - ill never be , just me , yall have a great time with yours 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

That is just SO wrong. Most people wouldn't be recording in Landscape.

You are absolutely correct.

I shot professionally for decades, and simply cringe when I see the unwashed filming a scene in vertical.
Portraits go vertical.
Scenes, situations, groups... all in the horizontal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Before I retired I tracked paroled Sex Offenders. When I would get a wrong number, there was usually a loooooong pause when I answered as always, "Sex Offender Supervision Unit, Agent Collier."

.......... so, ........... that was you ???  :huh:            :blush:

• Haha 5

On 3/3/2024 at 5:11 PM, Alpo said:

It seems like most people would have their back to the ship, so they would be taking selfies, of themselves in the same picture with the ship going down.

You are correct, Alpo. First time I saw this it was all selfies like you describe but when I Googled it this as the one that came up. 

Seamus