SASS Wire Forum

S&B Primer pockets

Fallon Kid

Just a tid-bit of info. I was loading 45acp today and while case gage checking prior to going into ammo box I noticed 5 cases had a deformed primers or had not seated in the pocket correctly. All the cases were S&B  (Sellier & Bellot) A little research indicates that S&B brass have been reported to sometimes have slight smaller primer pocket. I loaded a thousand rounds so don’t know if any S&B brass made it through without incident. Just putting that out there in case anyone runs into this problem.

And for the questions…

I’m using a Dillon RL 1050. And yes the pockets were checked clean and free. I had to add steps in my process to ensure I do not get a small primer acp case. I full length size and decap prior to wet tumble. Then I use a table mounted Lg. pocket chaser on every case. Also I removed the Dillon pocket swedger thinking I don't ever get any military brass.  Will get it reinstalled.

NOTE: On a 1050, a small pocket acp case will go pop when you try to install a large primer. And the powder is about an inch away. It will get your attention.

primers&b.jpg

• Thanks 2

For years, whenever I have S&B cases that have gotten into my brass of any caliber........ I throw them away for the

same reason as you mentioned....... tight primer pockets.

I've never liked S&B head stamped brass.

..........Widder

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

I run the S&B cases through a Dillon primer pocket swager, and they load forever after that without problems. 

good luck, GJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Fallon Kid said:

On a 1050, a small pocket acp case will go pop when you try to install a large primer.

Yeah, I dislike it strongly when shooters leave that non-standard small pocket brass on a range.  GJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I save up the small pistol primer 45 acp brass.  After a couple of years, I load up what I have collected and shoot them at a Wild Bunch match where I get very little pistol brass back.  Common firing lines, shooting through windows etc.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

S & B brass = The bane of reloaders. I throw them away with EXTREME PREDUDICE. :angry:

They won't prime on my 650 so I used to hand prime them carefully.  Primers were a little damaged but they all went bang.  When one popped when I was hand priming I decided to stop loading them and just toss them in my scrap brass bucket.  I don't mind getting them.  They have scrap value just like the Amerc brass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try to run S&B brass through a “bulge buster” die….you better have a cheater pipe. 

Rims are generally oversized compared to Win, Fed, or Starline. 

S&B go in the “Faucet Bucket”. 

5 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

They won't prime on my 650 so I used to hand prime them carefully.  Primers were a little damaged but they all went bang.  When one popped when I was hand priming I decided to stop loading them and just toss them in my scrap brass bucket.  I don't mind getting them.  They have scrap value just like the Amerc brass.

Yep, they have scrap value...but they also have a throw it as far as you can value. Amerc is the same way...once you can extract it out of your rifle.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I save up the small pistol primer 45 acp brass.  After a couple of years, I load up what I have collected and shoot them at a Wild Bunch match where I get very little pistol brass back.  Common firing lines, shooting through windows etc.  

Then, aggravatingly, somebody else will get them mixed in their brass...

• Like 2

On 2/19/2024 at 11:50 PM, Fallon Kid said:

Just a tid-bit of info. I was loading 45acp today and while case gage checking prior to going into ammo box I noticed 5 cases had a deformed primers or had not seated in the pocket correctly. All the cases were S&B  (Sellier & Bellot) A little research indicates that S&B brass have been reported to sometimes have slight smaller primer pocket. I loaded a thousand rounds so don’t know if any S&B brass made it through without incident. Just putting that out there in case anyone runs into this problem.

And for the questions…

I’m using a Dillon RL 1050. And yes the pockets were checked clean and free. I had to add steps in my process to ensure I do not get a small primer acp case. I full length size and decap prior to wet tumble. Then I use a table mounted Lg. pocket chaser on every case. Also I removed the Dillon pocket swedger thinking I don't ever get any military brass.  Will get it reinstalled.

NOTE: On a 1050, a small pocket acp case will go pop when you try to install a large primer. And the powder is about an inch away. It will get your attention.

primers&b.jpg

Can you Swage on a 1050? I think the rl1100 you can. I use to hate the s&b 38spl on my 750 but since switching to a mark7 Apex 10 I have no issues. I swage as part of my loading process.

Slipperyd

Yep. The 1050 does swedge but I use that spot to expand neck. Next time I gear up for 45acp I will try swedger and expand with powder dispenser. Setting up to run 38spc.swedger.thumb.jpg.39eeb0d4dd0fd1a3aebfd3cfff17b372.jpg

On 2/20/2024 at 2:15 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Chamfer the primer pocket ;)

That's not enough, the pocket itself is too small. The Lee Ram swage solves the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1