SASS Wire Forum

Gas Mask

FB_IMG_1707313730844.thumb.jpg.2ca2a0e7cb9fc2276a3c4a612a056275.jpg

French soldier posing for a photograph in an M1917 A.R.T. gas-mask, 1917.

Colourised by History And Colorization 

The pictured gas-mask is an "Appareil Respiratoire Tissot" (A.R.T.) model 1917, a niche French gas-mask also issued to the Italian Army and U.S. Army during the war.

The French Army suffered some 130,000 - 190,000 casualties to gas during the First World War, of whom around 8,000 were fatalities, a relatively small amount of the 90,000 - 100,000 soldiers killed by gas in total across all warring nations.

#worldwar1 #wwi #ww1 #firstworldwar #worldwarone #histoire #histoiredefrance #Frenchhistory #armeefrancaise #militaryhistory

https://gasmaskandrespirator.fandom.com/wiki/Appareil_Respiratoire_Tissot

• Thanks 4

That would make some steampunk costumer’s millennium!!  :lol:

• Like 2

As one who has used air purifying full face respirators and supplied air respirators for over 30 years, I look at that and wonder how anyone used that thing successfully.

I've been in chlorine gas and it's brutal. (I work in a chemical plant) I've been exposed to phosgene too. Nasty stuff. I cannot fathom trying to breath, to survive that stuff in trench warfare with that rudimentary rig with bullets flying overhead.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

As one who has used air purifying full face respirators and supplied air respirators for over 30 years, I look at that and wonder how anyone used that thing successfully.

I've been in chlorine gas and it's brutal. (I work in a chemical plant) I've been exposed to phosgene too. Nasty stuff. I cannot fathom trying to breath, to survive that stuff in trench warfare with that rudimentary rig with bullets flying overhead.

It was an improvement on the piss on the cloth we gave you and put it over your nose and mouth method:  https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-tactical/improvised-gas-mask-wwi/

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I was working for a local automotive repair shop and had occasion to witness a stupid, (as well as totally ignorant) mechanic who was discharging an automotive HVAC system, (wait for it.  WAIT FOR IT!!!) into the carburetor of the, still running, automobile!!

I snatched the hose away from him and, very rudely and forcefully, threw his ass out into the parking lot!!  At the same time, I was screaming for everyone else to get the hell outside!!

Burning Freon can produce phosgene gas which can paralyze the lungs!!  I’d learned this in air conditioning school.

By the time everyone was outside, some of them were struggling to breathe.  The boss called the paramedics, most of whom had no idea what to do.

Fortunately, all the doors on the shop were open and everyone got out quickly.  The medics administered oxygen to those in distress and the symptoms soon passed. Nobody had to go to the hospital and everyone recovered quickly.  

The federal rules on reclaiming freon had been in effect for several years already, so I have no compunction for calling that idiot “STUPID”!! He didn’t last long.

YEAH ! BUDDY! Phosgene is NASTY stuff!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

It was an improvement on the piss on the cloth we gave you and put it over your nose and mouth method:  https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-tactical/improvised-gas-mask-wwi/

The "Smelly Duck."

Here is a longer piece about WWI gas masks.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/233734-aef-gasmasks-respirators-1917-to-1919/page/2/

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In the Soviet Union, school children were trained in the use of gas masks and families were given gas masks, to be used in case of nuclear attack!

Well we were trained as children at school to duck and cover at our desks or along the wall in the corridor for nuclear attack. :unsure:

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 2:50 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I was working for a local automotive repair shop and had occasion to witness a stupid, (as well as totally ignorant) mechanic who was discharging an automotive HVAC system, (wait for it.  WAIT FOR IT!!!) into the carburetor of the, still running, automobile!!

I snatched the hose away from him and, very rudely and forcefully, threw his ass out into the parking lot!!  At the same time, I was screaming for everyone else to get the hell outside!!

Burning Freon can produce phosgene gas which can paralyze the lungs!!  I’d learned this in air conditioning school.

By the time everyone was outside, some of them were struggling to breathe.  The boss called the paramedics, most of whom had no idea what to do.

Fortunately, all the doors on the shop were open and everyone got out quickly.  The medics administered oxygen to those in distress and the symptoms soon passed. Nobody had to go to the hospital and everyone recovered quickly.  

The federal rules on reclaiming freon had been in effect for several years already, so I have no compunction for calling that idiot “STUPID”!! He didn’t last long.

YEAH ! BUDDY! Phosgene is NASTY stuff!

I've heard stories of mechanics smoking a cigarette while discharging freon.  Sort of like welding with a big lighter in your shirt pocket.  Not a good idea.

18 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've heard stories of mechanics smoking a cigarette while discharging freon.  Sort of like welding with a big lighter in your shirt pocket.  Not a good idea.

On the Bic lighter.  I used to have an old Suburban. It had rear seat heaters located in the floorboard under the front seats.

Apparently I had dropped one of the Bic lighters and it slid down between the seat and the seatback and it landed in the outlet of the heater.

I was driving to the airport one night in some blizzard conditions and had the heat in the truck wide open.  The sound was like a 12ga going off!  It didn’t register, what had happened, until a few days later when I was cleaning out the Suburban and found fragments of the lighter and a tiny hole in the floorboard at the bottom of a larger dent!

I stopped carrying my lighter in my pocket after that and soon quit carrying the disposable lighters altogether!!

Yeah! We did the “duck and cover” drills when I was in school too!

Edited by Blackwater 53393