SASS Wire Forum

What’s for dinner?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23600/worlds-best-lasagna/

That is a weird recipe. At the bottom it says

How Long to Cook Lasagna

The assembled lasagna should take about 50 minutes to cook in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F.

See that - cook 50 minutes

But at the top of the page it says

Prep Time:    30 mins
Cook Time:   2 hrs 30 mins
Additional Time:   15 mins
Total Time:   3 hrs 15 mins

Now I'm not the greatest mathematician in the world but I'm pretty certain that 2 hours and 30 minutes is a whole heap longer than 50 minutes.

So what do you cook it for? The time given at the top of the recipe, or the time given at the bottom of the recipe?

One T Bone, two New York steaks....Four kids, 4 to 9 years...Three adults....We got the left overs...Not much left for us....Last time we ate great...This time....We were all on the short end of the stick.....

Texas Lizard

We had a celebration dinner tonight. The Missus, my niece and g'niece and I went out for ribs. The reason? I have lost 85 pounds, down to 340 from 425. Another 100 to go.

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

How Long to Cook Lasagna

The assembled lasagna should take about 50 minutes to cook in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F.

Now I'm not the greatest mathematician in the world but I'm pretty certain that 2 hours and 30 minutes is a whole heap longer than 50 minutes.

So what do you cook it for? The time given at the top of the recipe, or the time given at the bottom of the recipe?

Now, given your vast experience, what do you think?

I believe and I think you would agree… 90 minutes will activate the smoke detectors.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

How Long to Cook Lasagna

Like Pat pointed out there are three cook times factored into 2 hrs 30.

as my instructors always said, read the instructions all the way through first.I do that, several times and I still get some things wrong the First time, sometimes even the second.

this recipe is a classic for “you will need a bigger pan”. I did use a big 13x9 (5.2qt) but when I cooked the sauce I ran into needing a bigger pan for that.

I ran out of mozzarella so I added Gruyere and provolone.

One could make this with half as much meat. Like I said could.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

How Long to Cook Lasagna

That is the total time you spend cooking the meat, noodles, simmering the meat sauce, and the final product

I was making it at my daughter's house one time, and the recipe called for a cup of Parmesan. In her refrigerator I saw two open packages of grated cheese. And they each had about a half a cup of them. So I used them both.

Turned out that one was feta.

Happy accident. That was good. Now I intentionally put feta in my lasagna.

I have asked my wife to try to make me tired of lasagne.  She refuses to try.  I will forward this recipe to her. Perhaps she will feel like experimenting.

39 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I was making it at my daughter's house one time, and the recipe called for a cup of Parmesan. In her refrigerator I saw two open packages of grated cheese. And they each had about a half a cup of them. So I used them both.

Turned out that one was feta.

Happy accident. That was good. Now I intentionally put feta in my lasagna.

I’ll have to try that. I thought about feta because I have some but it’s not a melting cheese.

Last night, my bride made Angus burgers in beef gravy and lots of mushrooms and mashed taters with brussel sprouts.
After spending five days at Mardi Gras, our dinner last night was more tasty, and cost 1/10th of dinner in NOLA.

And we could go back for seconds.

Archived