SASS Wire Forum

Brass shells in an 87

slow poke gear

So I have a couple boxs of magtec brass shells. I was thinking of trying to run them in my 87. Has anyone done/do this are there any tricks or tip you have found to get them to run smoothly?

Thanks in advance 

Slow poke 

Nope, they're awful! Send them to me! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have used brass shells in my 87 with no problems cycling at all. I shoot my double one week then my 87 the next week so I do shoot it often. DC

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I have used brass shells in my 87 with no problems cycling at all. I shoot my double one week then my 87 the next week so I do shoot it often. DC

Given that the brass shells are 2 1/2” vs 2 1/4” for loaded AAs, I’m guessing they take a bit more deliberation to load in the receiver on the clock?

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Given that the brass shells are 2 1/2” vs 2 1/4” for loaded AAs, I’m guessing they take a bit more deliberation to load in the receiver on the clock?

I have the Lassister drop two and the shells cycle with no problems at all. DC

• Like 1

Ok, I’m going to be the odd man out, I couldn’t get them to work.  When I first got my ‘87 back from Lassiter I tried them, I really wanted them to work, I tried adjusting the length, still wouldn’t work.  The issue I have is that the sharp edge of the brass would catch in the receiver, so I tried a slight crimp on the shell.  That produced a little better result but then they almost impossible to reload, what they really needed was a rolled edge.  After all was said and done I gave up and started roll crimping plastic shells and have had 0 feed issues.  I’m a little jealous of the folks that get the brass shells to work, but I’ve resined myself to realize that my particular ‘87 just doesn’t like them. 

Edited by Tequila Shooter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Ok, I’m going to be the odd man out, I couldn’t get them to work.  When I first got my ‘87 back from Lassiter I tried them, I really wanted them to work, I tried adjusting the length, still wouldn’t work.  The issue I have is that the sharp edge of the brass would catch in the receiver, so I tried a slight crimp on the shell.  That produced a little better result but then they almost impossible to reload, what they really needed was a rolled edge.  After all was said and done I gave up and started roll crimping plastic shells and have had 0 feed issues.  I’m a little jealous of the folks that get the brass shells to work, but I’ve resined myself to realize that my particular ‘87 just doesn’t like them. 

What brand/model do you have?

My Winchester was made in first year of production and has only one extractor. It makes a difference how to top ledge of the reciever is shaped over the chamber. I had a PW87 that was a POS and got a chance to move it to a new home after one match. I have some other video showing shooting brass hulls.  

6 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I used a RCBS  12 gauge cowboy die that put a slight roll crimp on the case and after six years shooting them have not needed to crimp a second time. DC

• Like 2

They work in my Winchester 87, my Chiappa 87, my 97's, 93, Burgess, 870, and my doubles and singles no problem.

Tip.

After the first time I fired them in my Winchester 87, they would not chamber in my 97's anymore.   The RCBS dies don't really resize them after firing.  I got the CH4D dies, and now they work just fine in everything I own.   The only thing they won't do is cycle the action in my Auto 5 or my 1100.  I am running 12 grains of Red Dot cuz 10 was too light.

All of my guns are pretty much stock.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

good to hear you can run them, anyone figure out how to keep BIGFOOT from stepping on them or is that just the cost of doing business?

Get a couple stepped on per year, only had one or two that I couldn’t get back to shape and use again.