SASS Wire Forum

HELP- >38 Special Light Reload using CFE Pistol

Cool Hand Joe

Greetings SASS, I am brand new to Cowboy and reloading. Just bought Dillon 550, and ready to start. Hoping someone can provide link, resource material, or experience making cowboy loads using CFE Pistol Powder. I know there are other powders, some have suggested other types, there are so many, I have 6 # of CFE, so I am hoping someone has had success. Really appreciate the help, see pics for the powder and bullet I am using. Cool Hand Joe

CFE.jpg

38 125 grain.jpg

I went to the Hodgdon reloading center input the powder, bullet weight and type and got a starting load of 5.2 grains with a muzzle velocity of 1,044 (too high) and a max load of 6.2 with a muzzle velocity of 1,201. I haven’t used CFE myself, but given those numbers I would load a few rounds at 5.0 grains and work down from there. If I could get a load generating 650-800 fps with consistent ignition and no unburnt powder I would call it good.

Having said that, powder is still relatively cheap. I would set the CFE on the back shelf and buy Titegroup, loading 3.0.

Edited to reflect that Tex beat me to it.

Edited by Captain Bill Burt
  • Like 2

CFE is a magnum pistol powder and not suitable for light 38 special loads. 

Your going to have to buy a powder more suitable for the light loads that most CAS shooters use. 

• Like 5

To echo what's been said. 

I really like CFE for 9mm and similar loads, but it is designed to work best with high pressures and gives some of the highest velocities of pistol powders.

I haven't even tried it for 38 Specials due to that.

Hope you can get some faster rate powder for the lighter recoil & lower velocities. 

Ask around your club for someone who is loading 9mm, 40 S&W, etc and they may want to buy what's left or trade for Clays, Claydot, RedDot, AA#2, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

CFE is a magnum pistol powder and not suitable for light 38 special loads. 

Your going to have to buy a powder more suitable for the light loads that most CAS shooters use. 

There are a few powders made specifically for high velocity loads that are within the pressure limits of the cartridge. IOW, if you need to gain some velocity over your normal load, you can switch to a powder like CFE Pistol, or Power Pistol (Alliant) and gain velocity. It is a high energy powder. Even if you were to move up to a 158 gr bullet, a minimum load would just barely be slow enough to be legal. If CFE Pistol is anything like HS-6, lowering the pressure will get you a lot of unburned powder, and if your bullet pull and crimp are not up there, erratic ignition will result. You could try loading below min recommended, but you should be chronographing your loads. Start with a min load to get a base line. However, be prepared to clean lead from your barrel, I've not been able to avail leading at near 1000 fps, YMMV. BTW, the CFE part of the name stands for Copper Fouling Eliminator, IOW there is tin in the powder to help reduce, or eliminate, copper fouling from jacketed bullets. 

Not that I want to rain on your parade, but I've invariably had better results loading a heavier bullet, 140 to 158 grains. It's easier to find a load that will shoot to the sights, have a low(ish) velocity (under 800 fps, closer to 700 fps). That being said, I've chronographed loads for other cowboys, and they had loads that were relatively consistent and low(ish) in velocity. One was a Bullseye load, the other with 700X. Those powders are Fast. I helped develop the 700X load for the cowboy, prior to his buying the 700X powder. (He had run out of Trail Boss.) Why 700X, mainly because it was available, and back in the day it was a popular all around pistol and light shotgun powder. It can be used for subsonic shotgun loads as well. But mostly because it was available. 

I see from the box that your bullets are Hi-Tek coated, and that is an advantage. Perhaps not era correct, but a good choice. 

Given the present situation, selling your CFE Pistol, or trading it for a faster powder is likely possible. IMHO you will not be happy with your ammo if you decide to use the CFE Pistol. Most of my reduced loads with slow pistol powders haven't worked well. 

Getting more popular is getting cowboy pistols in 9mm Luger. A reduced load (under book min) would likely work in that. I load a 357 dia bullet in my 9mm Vaquero, it works. I didn't use CFE Pistol though. But the larger bullet worked well. From what I could tell, it may be hard to find a 9mm combo that wouldn't work. IMHO, if I were able to buy a new cowboy revolver, it would be 9mm. Cheap brass, cheap on powder and not fussy on the bullet. Canada has banned the sale of handguns. 

BB 

• Like 1

I would suggest looking for Unique or Bullseye also. They are usable in almost everything we shoot in CAS. You have a great powder for high pressure semi-auto stuff, but not too good for non-magnum revolvers.

No one has recommended CleanShot which is a good powder and available through Scarlett if needed. I use 3.5 grains with my 125 grain bullet and have for 6 years without any issues.

TM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using Win 244 with a light load in .38 with 125 grain bullets with good results.  It's widely available and (IMHO) better suited for CAS loads.  If it's available in your area you might give it a try.  Usually has a very good price tag on it.  

On 2/4/2024 at 6:17 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

"..................................

Having said that, powder is still relatively cheap. I would set the CFE on the back shelf and buy Titegroup, loading 3.0.".

I concur. 

• Like 2

OP: good choice of bullets.  My caster is dropping plain cast bullets from his inventory because he sells five times more coated bullets than plain cast bullets.  I'm loading Alliant Sport Pistol under Hi-Tek bullets.  Sport Pistol is specifically designed for Hi-Tek coated bullets.  However, the other powders mentioned in this thread will give you satisfactory CAS ammo.  Distributors are telling us that gunpowder will be scarce this year.  You will be able to sell the CFE if you choose.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
  • Like 1