SASS Wire Forum

A different perspective on the national debt....

Do your own math. 

Hint:  A drop of water is just about 0.05 mL in volume, or 20,000 drops in a liter.  An olympic sized pool holds about 2.5 million liters....   :blink:

Al Goodwyn Editorial Cartoons Comic Strip for January 10, 2024

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Just do like all these 3rd world countries, we have been supporting with our hard earned tax money for many many years have done , just declare "bankruptcy." 

And then we can start all over after the next election of 2024.  ASSUMING?????

7 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nobody was complaining in 2020 when money was being given away as if it were popcorn.  THAT was the time to complain.

Some did.  Whistling in a hurricane.

• Like 5

If an Olympic pool holds 2.5 million liters, and there are 20,000 drops in a liter, then an Olympic pool holds 50 billion drops.

A recommended pool depth is 10 feet.

So if we go to 20 ft that's 100 billion. Go to 200 ft that's 1 trillion.

200 ft x 34 is 6800 ft.

Looks like their math is off.

4,000 ft would only be 20 trillion dollars.

Edited by Alpo
  • Like 1

Just as I was about to hit the space bar (to continue with what I was saying), the keyboard disappeared and I hit the submit bar.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If an Olympic pool holds 2.5 million liters, and there are 20,000 drops in a liter, then an Olympic pool holds 50 billion drops.

A recommended pool depth is 10 feet.

So if we go to 20 ft that's 100 billion. Go to 200 ft that's 1 trillion.

200 ft x 34 is 6800 ft.

Looks like their math is off.

4,000 ft would only be 20 trillion dollars.

Or, more simply stated, 680 Olympic size pools.  At a buck a drop.    :(

image.png.ef18b5845fe9d6b238b209682a00bc98.pngimage.png.3f6d1d0b6923c5aaa7928ef452170c17.png

2 minutes ago, watab kid said:

we elected them - we got what they thought we wanted .....OR NOT !

I sure didn't elect 'em...!  :huh:

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Or, more simply stated, 680 Olympic size pools.  At a buck a drop.    :(

image.png.ef18b5845fe9d6b238b209682a00bc98.pngimage.png.3f6d1d0b6923c5aaa7928ef452170c17.png

I sure didn't elect 'em...!  :huh:

i know - me either , thats why i added the OR NOT ! , im hoping the country has gotten the point but not holding my breath , i see fauchi is starting to get his come-up-ance for his part of that contribution to debt , wish someone would have listened back then , 

• Like 2

I had a liberal democrat economics professor in 1983 that said 'no worry about the debt as long as it is only a certain percentage of GDP'.  I asked 'what percentage is a problem doctor?'.  No answer.  Look at how the National Debt to GDP ratio has grown since 1983...

1. He was right, national debt to GDP is similar to the personal income to debt ratio.  If you make a lot of $ you can afford more debt..
  2. We need to keep interest rates low to stimulate the economy and keep the interest on the debt manageable.  The Fed is in a bad position trying to reduce inflation by raising interest rates.
  3. We have been lucky that the dollar is the reserve currency.  Oil is priced in dollars etc.  We are screwing this up and you will see the move away from the dollar over the next 10 years.
  4. But the people we elect buy votes with our $...and our children will pay.

Term limits; 1 term in each job.  Opponents say that will make the government less efficient.

How will you tell?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Term limits; 1 term in each job.  Opponents say that will make the government less efficient.

How will you tell?

We have term limits: they're called elections. 

For some reason Professional Public Servant (Master) has become a requirement for the job.

It's deemed a good thing to have avoided working outside the government in election season.

'My opponent lacks experience in government offices

Also the &NC selects potential candidates in our unofficial 2 party system not the public

45 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Except it's dang near impossible to unseat an incumbent.

In theory you are correct.  But in the real world...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

On point -- the issue with term limits is that most people want the OTHER guy's politician term-limited, not their own -- but ignore the inconvenient fact that the one they want gone won an election.

If term limits ever got passed, the people who elect the politicians we think need to go away, would most likely just elect another one that we think needs to go away (look at Chicago, for instance -- they managed to elect a guy who seems about three steps LEFT of the previous mayor).

13 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Except it's dang near impossible to unseat an incumbent.

Because incumbents have access to resources, such as taxpayer-funded travel, lobbyist dollars, media attention. Put in term limits, and what would likely happen is the 'anointed successor' gambit, where the incumbent would clearly signal where supporters' votes needed to go.

Figure out some way to diminish that advantage, and there's hope.