SASS Wire Forum

Remember Greenie caps for cap guns?

A box would hold 4 or 5 sheets of caps you would peel off to put in cap guns. I haven't seen them in forever. I'd buy a bunch if I could. I would show my grandsons how I used to play. 

Do you think a creative person could replicate them using tape and black powder?

• Like 1

I doubt you could replicate them with tape and black powder. But I bet you could replicate them with tape and roll caps.

Get you one of them 50 round rolls of paper caps, and cut them into individual caps, and take some Scotch tape and stick them on to wherever you want them to stick.

i fear those days are gone except for the very dedicated to that , good on you if you can but most wont take the time to develope an obsolete product except fot personal use 

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

I found greenie stick'em caps for sale, in various places around the web. From $50 to $500 a box.

I found those also.  I'll try the roll caps and double sided tape first.

BP won't go bang if you hit it?  I wonder what they use in caps?

5 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I wonder what they use in caps?

You can make caps with strike anywhere match heads (the white part) and a tiny amount of black powder. 

Trouble is they are really easy to set off. DO NOT PUT THEM IN YOUR POCKET! Guess how I know…

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

From wiki

There are also single caps, roll caps (of 50 to 500), disk caps, and cap strips all of which are actually extremely small versions of percussion fireworks. Armstrong's mixture is often used today as the explosive, but previously the tiny powder charge was a simple mixture of potassium perchlorate, sulfur, and antimony sulfide sandwiched between two paper layers that hold in the gases long enough to give a sound report when the cap is struck

5 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I found those also.  I'll try the roll caps and double sided tape first.

Double sided tape is pretty thicki., try a low tac spray glue, something like https://www.krylon.com/en/products/adhesives/easy-tack-repositionable-adhesive

Unroll some roll caps and spray it on the back.

• Like 1

Ah Shootin Shells,  my neighbor and I got guns for Christmas.  Found out you could blast Christmas ornaments to pieces  with them.  Never got caught at either house.  We made sure we did not shoot enough that we would get caught.  Boy was that long ago!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Double sided tape is pretty thicki., try a low tac spray glue, something like https://www.krylon.com/en/products/adhesives/easy-tack-repositionable-adhesive

Unroll some roll caps and spray it on the back.

This stuff is pretty thin - like regular clear tape to wrap presents. 

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Double-Sided-Tape-Dispensers/dp/B002VLA5SI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=53514987582&hvadid=664878250267&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1020414&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12213730886060459109&hvtargid=kwd-309472811403&hydadcr=8373_13654467&keywords=scotch+2+sided+tape&qid=1704748430&sr=8-3

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 2

I have enough ideas here, I know I am going to get into some kind of trouble.  I have the thin double sided tape, I think I have spray adhesive, now where to get, potassium perchlorate, sulfur and antimony sulfide without the BATFE showing up at my front door.  Alpo, what are the percentages of each?  "I know a guy", I went to college with (yes, I did go to college and graduated. They actually gave me a piece of paper to prove it.) who builds his own fireworks.  Maybe he has sources.

If you hear of any loud explosions on the news coming from South Central Wisconsin, not to worry, it's just me.

• Haha 1

Ok.  After reading about Armstrong's mixture, I'm not going to make my own solution.  I'll stick to trying roll caps with some sort of adhesive.  Besides, the ingredients don't come in very small quantities and are fairly pricey.   Ah, the fantasy of it all.

• Haha 1

nope, we just got red roll caps as kids.  maybe the greenies were from before my time?.

this looks completely unfamiliar to me.  i moved to this country in 1971.

F372989B-5055-4D88-8231-B0190398647B.jpeg

Edited by WOLFY