SASS Wire Forum

Double jeopardy question

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I’m watching this movie Double Jeopardy with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones. (I’m only an hour into this so don’t know how it plays out).

So she’s been told by another inmate about double jeopardy and that if she got out and found her husband she could kill him and not be convicted again for it (she was convicted of murdering her husband, but he faked the whole thing and framed her).
So, I am assuming to get away with this, she needs to not use a gun ( she’s a felon now, so could have a weapons charge and end up back in prison), or not commit any other conceivable crime like trespassing etc. while in the act.
The other inmate told her she could just blow his brains out and walk away. This seems bad, not very well thought out, advice.

There's a Cary Grant movie called PEOPLE WILL TALK.

In the movie there is a character - a Canadian named Mr Gunderson.

Mr Gunderson and his sweetheart and his best friend were going mountain climbing. Well actually just the two guys were climbing. The girl stayed back at the hotel.

As they were going up the mountain the best friend hit Mr Gunderson in the head with a rock. That's when Mr Gunderson found out that his friend and his sweetheart were sweethearts.

There was a long bloody fight, and the friend finally broke it off and ran away. When Mr Gunderson returned to the hotel, covered with blood, his sweetheart started screaming that he had murdered the other man. He was tried and convicted and sentenced to death.

But because they did not have a body, his sentence was reduced to 15 years hard labor, which he served.

About 5 years after he got out of prison he was walking by a restaurant and glanced in the window and saw his friend. He went in to ask his friend why, since he was not dead, he had not shown up at the trial. His friend responded by hitting him, so he beat his friend to death.

Naturally they arrested him and charged him with murder. He tried to explain that he had already been tried for the murder of his friend, and therefore could not be retried for it.

The court was apologetic. They said that it was quite obvious that there had been a miscarriage of Justice in the 15-year sentence for murdering the friend, since the friend was not dead. But this was not a retrial for that murder. This was a new murder. A separate crime.

So again he was tried and again he was convicted and again he was sentenced to death. And they hanged him.

It is a most excellent movie. I heartily recommend it.

i remember that movie , it made me wonder at our judicial system , but not as mauch as is playing out today - back then i had a lot more faith in our system , of course the play chicago cast some doubts as well 

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

, it made me wonder at our judicial system ,

Unless you are Canadian, it was not our judicial system.

4 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

couldn’t accept the idea that the second murder would be given a pass.

It wasn't. He was tried, convicted, sentenced, and executed.

24 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

:rolleyes: @Alpo You forgot the...

Spoiler-alert-news-feature.thumb.jpg.becf12e5525196a12f3acf75628180f5.jpg

It was a 5-minute sub arc in the movie. A SPOILER ALERT would be telling that Cary married the girl even though he knew she was already pregnant and it wasn't his. :P

Regarding the Double Jeopardy movie: I was left wondering about the scene where the heroine woke up in the occupied coffin, in the crypt, and with her little snobby, shot the locks off to escape, without going deaf.

16 hours ago, Alpo said:

Unless you are Canadian, it was not our judicial system.

It wasn't. He was tried, convicted, sentenced, and executed.

It was a 5-minute sub arc in the movie. A SPOILER ALERT would be telling that Cary married the girl even though he knew she was already pregnant and it wasn't his. :P

oh , i missed that subtlety , sorry , gotta pay more attention i guess  

Archived