SASS Wire Forum

Magnificent Seven 2024

Captain Bill Burt

The Southeast Open Magnificent Seven 2024

7 Matches, 79 Days, 

Sponsored by Ides of March, The Bushwhack, Shootout in the Hills, Shootout at Cavern Cove, Stampede at South River, Smokin Guns at Rabbit Ridge, The Regulator's Reckoning, Buffalo's Wild West, Page Custom Knives, Outlaw Bullets and the lovely - Bullets by Scarlett

Kick off Florida Ides of March 14-16th 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/event/357/the-ides-of-march/?fbclid=IwAR1cEjAQgLsW5m9w8DYeDCdX87xHTUSu1vYQBHjyBq0aGd76dZVa3e9Z_iA

South Carolina The Bushwhack April 11-13th.

https://sites.google.com/site/scstatematch/

Kentucky Shootout in the Hills April 25-27th

https://ponderosa-pines.com/ky-state-championship

Alabama Shootout at Cavern Cove May 2-4th.

https://www.northalabamaregulators.com/copy-of-ambush-southeast-regional

Georgia Stampede at South River May 16th - 18th.

http://www.srscowboy.com/events.html

Smoking Guns at Rabbit Ridge May 23rd-May 26th. 

https://mississippiriverrangers.org/2024-smokin-guns-at-rabbit-ridge-xxvii

Final Match The Reckoning in Tennessee May 30th-June 1st.

http://www.wartraceregulators.com/StateMatch.aspx

1. Rank Points for best three matches

2. Automatically drop highest points for any matches attended beyond three, more matches attended equates to a better chance of winning a buckle

3. To be eligible for awards based on shooting style/propellent all matches must be shot in the same category.

4. Kickoff is Florida State, Awards at Tennessee State, prizes at every match.

5. Entry fee $20

6. Non profit!!  Any remaining funds after the cost of awards will be used to purchase prizes from sponsoring vendors. 

7. Each state match shot earns one prize entry so more matches attended increases the chance of a prize.

2nd place badges by Buffalo's Wild West and yours truly.

Clean match pins (clean for all three qualifying matches)

Magnificent 7 participant pin

If you would like to shoot a category that isn't listed, please write it in on the app.  If I get enough interest in a category to cover a buckle we'll add it.  

I would like to think everyone who chipped in with thoughts on how to score this match.  After careful consideration I've decided to stick with match points as it was calculated last year.  It's not perfect, but it's pretty good and reasonably easy to understand. 

All Around Cowboy requirements.  All Around Cowboy participants must shoot three matches utilizing three of the following four shooting styles: Traditional, Duelist, Gunfighter and Outlaw.  Participants may compete in All Around Cowboy AND a 'typical' category if they shoot enough qualifying matches.  For example, @Badlands Bob #61228 could shoot three matches Gunfighter, and two matches using two of the other three shooting styles (Duelist, Traditional and Outlaw) and he would be eligible for both the Gunfighter AND All Around Cowboy buckle.

Last year was a lot of fun.  We had right at 60 competitors.  I'm hoping for closer to 80 this time.

This year we have a website.  It's still under construction...thanks Tyrel Cody!!

http://southeastopenmagnificentseven.com/

Magnificent Seven 2024.pdf

Edited by Captain Bill Burt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Who's coming.  I'll update this periodically.

1. Badlands Bob

2. Max Payne

3. Ophelia Payne

4. Cat A. Tonic

5. Copperhead Joe

6. Captain Bill Burt

7. Shootin Sharyn

8. Iron Cowboy

9. Kid Flash

10. Cotton Mouth Cole

11. Wabash Valley Slim

12. Scarlett 

13. Arcadia Outlaw

14. Midwest Hale

15. Preacherman

16. Gunnby

17. Jimmie Gunnfighter

18. Tyrel Cody

19. Midnight Rider

20. Tuco Forsyth

21. Randy Saint Eagle

22. Fast Eddie

23. Lucky Lead Pepper

24. Uncle Ethan

25. Fox Creek Stitcher withdrew

26. Fretless withdrew

27. Santa Fe River Stan

28. Yohan

29. English Tom 

30. Crooked Bullet

31. Brazos Belle

32. Groundhog

33. Cahawba Kid

34. Crawdaddy

35. Tin Can Sailor

36. Krazy Kajun

37. Tennessee Tombstone

38. Shelleen

39. Whiskey Creek Johnson

40. Mister Badly

41. Koda Joe

42. Purly

43. Trail Bandit

44. Lawman Mark

45. Leadfoot Luke

46. Hey Sugar

47. Christian Mortician

48. Dodge City Dixie

49. Reno Mustang

50. Roy L. Pain

51. Justified

52. Smart *

53. Pecos Pete

54. Delta Glen

• Like 1

Thanks for this, Bill! I’m gonna do the All Around Cowboy…

Big hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1

Categories:

1. Top Man

2. Top Lady

3. Cowboy

4. Cowgirl

5. Gunfighter

6. All Around Cowperson

7. Frontier Cartridge

8. Cattle Baron

9. Ladies Senior

10. Duelist

11. Elder Statesman

12. Senior

13. Lady Gunfighter

14. Outlaw

I've included a picture of the 2024 buckle.  The buckles will have:

Magnificent Seven

Crossed SA pistols again

Champion

Category

The stones will be purple.

image.thumb.png.62225f55a153d4bb96553b368291c13b.png

Anyone interested in sponsoring a buckle, or sponsoring via prizes please contact me directly.

http://southeastopenmagnificentseven.com/

We're up to 23, which is considerably ahead of last year's pace.  I have the clean match pins in hand and have already ordered the participation pins.  Buckles will be customized by category, so I'll be placing that order most likely by early February.  Any categories added after that point will not have customized buckles. The final deadline for registering will be the Ides of March.  There will be someone there to collect apps before the first round of the main match goes down range which is when registration will close.

FYI, if you register for the South Carolina Bushwhack before February 1st you can vote for 5 of the 10 main match stages. 

Vote for mine!  It will be the one that's a slightly modified progressive sweep. (E).  You have to choose between four shots on the far pistol target and four shots on the near rifle target, OR four shots on the near pistol target and four shots on the far rifle target.  1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 OR 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4.

Almost forgot, this is open to all SASS shooters, not just those who live in the South East Region, so come on down and play!!

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

We're up to 23, which is considerably ahead of last year's pace.  I have the clean match pins in hand and have already ordered the participation pins.  Buckles will be customized by category, so I'll be placing that order most likely by early February.  Any categories added after that point will not have customized buckles. The final deadline for registering will be the Ides of March.  There will be someone there to collect apps before the first round of the main match goes down range which is when registration will close.

FYI, if you register for the South Carolina Bushwhack before February 1st you can vote for 5 of the 10 main match stages. 

Vote for mine!  It will be the one that's a slightly modified progressive sweep. 

Merry Christmas!

Which letter is it?

Randy

• Like 1

That sounds like a blast! Next year will be hectic with moving to Alabama (Cullman area) to be closer to the kids, but definitely going to add that to my list for the next year. I may finish last, but it sounds FUN!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, StirrupTrouble said:

That sounds like a blast! Next year will be hectic with moving to Alabama (Cullman area) to be closer to the kids, but definitely going to add that to my list for the next year. I may finish last, but it sounds FUN!

Welcome to the South.  Cullman is just down the road from the North Alabama Regulators.  Be sure to check them out when you get settled in.  They host the Alabama State Match and the S.E. Regional.  

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 3:25 PM, StirrupTrouble said:

If you’re here in time you could shoot the Alabama State, Georgia State and Tennessee State all in a little over a month!

Randy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

If you’re here in time you could shoot the Alabama State, Georgia State and Tennessee State all in a little over a month!

Randy

I know I’m going to get in at least four, but I’m hoping to get five and compete in Cowboy and All Around Cowboy. I think I’ll go traditional, gunfighter and duelist. I’m hoping my pards @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 and @Badlands Bob #61228 will coach me up!

• Like 2

I'll be glad to help with the ways of the Gunfighter.  I have seen you shoot many times and you do have potential.  I would recommend getting your left hand an eye exam.  I found that mine was a little near sited.  However, I have to warn you.  Once you start down that path, it will be very difficult to go back to your squaw grip'n ways.   The path of Gunfighter has many forks.  Take one fork and there will be black smoke that no one can see through.  Take yet another fork and you will give up using your sites and shoot everything from the hip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I know I’m going to get in at least four, but I’m hoping to get five and compete in Cowboy and All Around Cowboy. I think I’ll go traditional, gunfighter and duelist. I’m hoping my pards @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 and @Badlands Bob #61228 will coach me up!

First pointer for either one is to start doing everything you can with your weak hand. Brushing your teeth, eating, driving nails etc. The more you can do weak handed the easier it will be to shoot that way. Just remember once you go duelist it’s hard to go back.

Duelist Is Coolest!!

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moving this back to the top so’s it’s easier to find!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 2:27 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Welcome to the South.  Cullman is just down the road from the North Alabama Regulators.  Be sure to check them out when you get settled in.  They host the Alabama State Match and the S.E. Regional.  

Thank you! We found a place in Blountsville that checked all the boxes. Assuming it passes inspection, we should be living there by May.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, StirrupTrouble said:

Thank you! We found a place in Blountsville that checked all the boxes. Assuming it passes inspection, we should be living there by May.

You have the Old York Shootists right there in Blountsville with you.  You have the Alabama Rangers not to far south of you and the North Alabama Regulators not to far north of you.  You have AL state and the Regional in your backyard, TN State about 3-4 hours away, GA State about 3-4 hours away, MS State about 3-4 hours away.  

You're in a great spot to play Cowboy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You have the Old York Shootists right there in Blountsville with you.  You have the Alabama Rangers not to far south of you and the North Alabama Regulators not to far north of you.  You have AL state and the Regional in your backyard, TN State about 3-4 hours away, GA State about 3-4 hours away, MS State about 3-4 hours away.  

You're in a great spot to play Cowboy.

YEEHAW!!!!

• Like 1

Quick update.  We're at 34 shooters so far.

The current categories are locked in.

Top Man, Top Lady, Cowboy, Cowgirl, Elder Statesman, Cattle Baron, Grande Dame, Gunfighter, Duelist, Frontier Cartridge, Lady Gunfighter, All Around Cowboy and Senior.  We're at 13 buckles. 

I would love to add the following categories if we get more people signing up for them: Junior, Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, Ladies Senior, and Outlaw.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Quick update.  We're at 34 shooters so far.

The current categories are locked in.

Cowboy, Cowgirl, Elder Statesman, Cattle Baron, Grande Dame, Gunfighter, Duelist, Frontier Cartridge, Lady Gunfighter, and Senior.  Adding in the two top gun buckles are we're at 12 buckles. 

I would love to add the following categories if we get more people signing up for them: Junior, Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, Ladies Senior, and Outlaw.  

Off topic but it will get this back to the top. I shot the Capt. Bill Burt sweep yesterday and it shoots good, if it makes it into the S.C. State lineup it will be a good stage.

• Thanks 1

We're up to 36.  The signup deadline is the Ides of March.  I'll be ordering buckles and locking in categories in about two weeks!

Thank you again to our sponsors:  The state matches of course and also  Buffalo's Wild West, Page Custom Knives, Outlaw Bullets and the lovely - Bullets by Scarlett!  We also have an anonymous sponsor who is providing two buckles!

BTW, you read that right.  We're sponsored by Outlaw Bullets.  The cowboy everyone loves, Waimea, has stepped back from making bullets, but Pops Corbin, T-Bone Johnson, and Lady J. are taking over and should be up any running by mid February.

Buffalo's Wild West is donating the 2nd place badges.  Page Custom Knives are donating a screw knife, Outlaw Bullets is donating 7,000 (love that number) 125 grain TCFP bullets, and Bullets by Scarlett is donating a Ryder Shotshell Sizer!

• Like 3

I will go ahead and send in my app, not sure I will be shooting 3 but so far plan on at least two. How about a few more Outlaws, otherwise I will have to shoot GF which doesn't bother me as much as it bothers the GF's

• Haha 2

Hey Capt Burt, I see the application for the Mississippi state shoot is up, maybe want to edit the original post and and the link. 

This shoot had the lowest attendance of the Magnificent 7 last year. I attended and found it to be spectacular,great venue, well managed and great stages.

I highly recommended it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jedediah Westwood said:

Can we do that out here on the west coast?

Why not?  All you have to do is get seven State matches that have their matches scheduled pretty close together.  It helps if they're geographically close as well.  Living in Georgia I can get to four of the seven matches and never have to drive farther than about 3 hours one way.   It might be a bit tougher since things are more spread out in your area.  I'm guessing your best bets would be TX, NM, CO, AZ NV UT and CA.  Or maybe drop one of those out and add OK?

I just checked with all the match directors to make sure that not only did they not mind, but they were willing to chip in enough to cover a buckle.  Then start asking vendors and try to get some sponsors.  I'm happy to help if you have any questions. 

• Like 1