SASS Wire Forum

Holster questions.

Bowtie747

Hey guys! This is my first post, new to cowboy action shooting. Been wanting to get into it for a while and finally took the jump and started ordering my stuff. Got a holster set coming. Was hoping someone here could help me with some questions I had.

So I ordered a Mernickle holster, Uberti cattleman in .38 special. 4 3/4 “ barrels. 

So ik these guns are clones of the Colt SAA but let’s say I mix match brands. For instance say I have a Uberti .38 4 3/4” barrel and a cimmaron .38 4 3/4 barrel will it hurt the holster any?

What about different calibers? Say i use my. .38 rig and put a .22 clone in it? Or even a .45lc. Would that stretch out or hurt the shape of the holster? 

5 minutes ago, Bowtie747 said:

So ik these guns are clones of the Colt SAA but let’s say I mix match brands. For instance say I have a Uberti .38 4 3/4” barrel and a cimmaron .38 4 3/4 barrel will it hurt the holster any?

No

6 minutes ago, Bowtie747 said:

What about different calibers? Say i use my. .38 rig and put a .22 clone in it? Or even a .45lc. Would that stretch out or hurt the shape of the holster?

No

Phantom

In regards to various caliber pistols used with the same holster rig - this is the very reason I did NOT order ANY cartridge loops built into the custom belt I use. I ordered a removable cartridge slide that can easily be replaced if I use pistols not in my original caliber. 

Cartridge loops look cool, but aren’t ideally functional for a competition belt. A slide for a few reloads works better. 

21 minutes ago, Tennessee River said:

In regards to various caliber pistols used with the same holster rig - this is the very reason I did NOT order ANY cartridge loops built into the custom belt I use. I ordered a removable cartridge slide that can easily be replaced if I use pistols not in my original caliber.

Very few people load from the gun belt cartridge loops...many don't even put loops on their gun belt.

Phantom

The main considerations for fit is the diameter of the cylinder and the length of the barrel.  For example, the old Ruger Vaqueros are larger and may fit too tight, while an Open Top frame may be too loose.  Uberti, Pietta, and Colt all have very close dimensions.

I've occasionally had to use my backup 7 1/2" barrel revolver in the holsters made for 5.5", which usually works fine, but sometimes the front sight gets caught on the bottom opening of the holster.

You did good choosing Mernickle.  I started with historically-accurate holsters that looked great, but were terrible for fast shooting.  Later Mernickle set me up right and their service is top shelf.

Hey, thanks everyone for the comments! I was also finally able to reach out to Mernickle for a confirmation of everything already said here haha.

Thanks also for the Welcomes. Maybe one day I’ll shoot aside some of you guys/gals. I’m from Ohio and hoping to find some local matches next spring to attend. If anyone knows anyone around central Ohio who’s willing to mentor I’d love to see some setups, guns, friends to shoot with, advice giver. Thanks again! 

Welcome aboard Bowtie747 to the best game and folks goin. Hang on for the addiction of the most fun you can have with pants on!5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

You will also have to think about your Rifle caliber for the loops.

Largo

One thing you should be aware of: don't leave brass cartridges in your belt loops. They will turn green [verdigris] if you want to avoid pulling the cartridges out after every match, use nickel cases for the belt loops.

14 hours ago, Bowtie747 said:

Hey, thanks everyone for the comments! I was also finally able to reach out to Mernickle for a confirmation of everything already said here haha.

Thanks also for the Welcomes. Maybe one day I’ll shoot aside some of you guys/gals. I’m from Ohio and hoping to find some local matches next spring to attend. If anyone knows anyone around central Ohio who’s willing to mentor I’d love to see some setups, guns, friends to shoot with, advice giver. Thanks again! 

https://sassnet.com/sass-clubs/clubsmap

i bought seperate holsters for each of my revolvers , the 45s and 38s generally fit the same size but the 22s can be tricky , you might get lucky if they were ,made full size [i have a few of these] but many were made in a smaller version [ i have a number of these as well] so i have a number of holster sets 

Archived