SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Trigger Swap

Red Oak

I want to swap the triggers on my Stoeger.  Have looked around but, of the threads I find, all of the links are dead.  Anyone have a good link?  I'd like to review the threads before getting started.

Thanks 

I tried it, but swapped back, muscle memory kept me searching for the right trigger in front of the left.

It's the Nov. & Dec. 2009 Chronicles. Did mine and all the other suggestions and my Stoeger has run excellent for 12 years now!

You can download them off the SASS web page.

9 hours ago, Red Oak said:

I want to swap the triggers on my Stoeger.  Have looked around but, of the threads I find, all of the links are dead.  Anyone have a good link?  I'd like to review the threads before getting started.

Thanks 

I posted a link where I shared the articles via my Google account years ago, but no longer have sharing on the file.  Past SASS Chronicles where the instructions are shown can be found here: https://sassnet.com/resources/cowboy-chronicle

Nov. & Dec. 2009 as Eyesa Horg posted.

4 hours ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

I posted a link where I shared the articles via my Google account years ago, but no longer have sharing on the file.  Past SASS Chronicles where the instructions are shown can be found here: https://sassnet.com/resources/cowboy-chronicle

Nov. & Dec. 2009 as Eyesa Horg posted.

Got it, thank you.  I'm targeting next week for gun work in my shop.  

• 2 weeks later...

I did mine for the fun of it before ever shooting CAS.  A couple things I remembered was the slots in the receiver were different widths and either one or two of the triggers needed cut down and one needed thinned down to swap to the other receiver slot.  Do remember thinking now that I've done it, would need new triggers to swap it back to stock.  At the time, both triggers were available and inexpensive but did not purchase them though. Very easy job though.   

I did it per the article referenced.  No too difficult.  I had to take it apart the second time and remove more material from one of the triggers because the front trigger would engage the back trigger and the second barrel would fire.  The trigger force was high to get the second to fire with the front but I managed some times.  All good now.  Being I don't shoot any other dual trigger shotgun it makes sense.

Thanks for all the replys.  With a lot of holiday stuff going on it may be a week or so before I get a chance to swap them out. 

Red Oak

I don't recall the slots being different or thinning a trigger. There is a ridge that needs to be trimmed back. I used a Dremel with a fine sanding drum, easy peasy! I did mine before I actually started CAS as well.

yea, I didn't get quite enough of that ridge on my first try .....  

While you are in there you may want to get rid of the auto safety and maybe shorten the opening spring a bit.  A little polishing never hurts.

I did everything in those articles all at once. Got the lever spring from Long Hunter IIRC. 

I did all that stuff to my Stoeger and it greatly improved it.  I shot it for 7 years and thought it was a good shotgun.  Then, somebody let me shoot a slicked up SKB.  There is no comparison.  My Stoeger has been in the gun safe for many years now.  It may never see the range again. 

Tip from Experience:   If you get the spring too light, you'll know it because the action will open up every time you fire it.  

Mine was a first year produced cool, cheap SxS when I purchased it new.  Way before trying CAS.  Fit in my Samsonite briefcase is why I bought it.  Picture might not show it, but the one trigger would not swap into the width of the opposite slot.  One trigger needed some cutting and sanding.  Maybe they build them a bit better nowadays.  Do not know.  Do know that it seemed like the slots were designed to prevent swapping them, although trimming one of them was required for it to function.  Getting old, memory not perfect anymore either.  At $275 new, next to a little sandwich shop, after lunch purchase, it served me just fine prior to this CAS stuff.  Consider it junk compared to a CZ purchased a while back.  

IMG_4420.jpg

For me, I had never shot a SxS and bought my Stoeger for CAS. The logic of just letting your finger slip back to the rear trigger seemed logical compared to pulling out of the front trigger and putting it back in the rear trigger. Probably doesn't matter much, but since I did it right from the git go, it seems to work.

14 hours ago, watab kid said:

would yall indulge a stupid question on my part ? why would you want to do this ? its a muscle memory thing to me ...i dint see the need to do it , 

Have also wondered why. Shoot it the way it comes and after a couple of stages it is automatic and you don't even think about it. You just do it. Can't see what swapping them is gonna do. Either way you shoot the front trigger than shoot the rear trigger and you mind does it all for you. I don't see anything that makes it easier or quicker. 

TM

There may be those who can take advantage of that elusive thousandth of a second per target set.  I ain't one of them.  I did the "switch trigger" on my first Stoeger.  Amazing how it immediately started to "double."  Don't ask How I found out about relieving the "new" back trigger.  Also did a lot of switch trigger for TTNs.  I found switch trigger completely unnecessary on my Pedersoli nor my Pietta.

13 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

Have also wondered why. Shoot it the way it comes and after a couple of stages it is automatic and you don't even think about it. You just do it. Can't see what swapping them is gonna do. Either way you shoot the front trigger than shoot the rear trigger and you mind does it all for you. I don't see anything that makes it easier or quicker. 

TM

yup , only time you care is if you have one target up and load one shell , but my finger can find both quick enough for my speeds [slow] 

I’ve shot at a club that had mostly swingers for shotgun targets. Occasionally had a double tap. With a bit of practice could slide off front trigger and engage rear trigger, so quick it sounds like 1 round fired! 

32 minutes ago, Hoss said:

... With a bit of practice could slide off front trigger and engage rear trigger, so quick it sounds like 1 round fired! 

Why not engage both triggers at the same time with two fingers? Other than doubling the recoil...

4 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Why not engage both triggers at the same time with two fingers? Other than doubling the recoil...

I tried that a few times. Usually would up just firing one barrel. 

swapping triggers is a hair faster. But I’ve Spence gone to a SKB with single trigger. Took me about two stages to get used to it. The single trigger SKB is a better shotgun than Stoeger in my opinion 

Archived