SASS Wire Forum

Sizer dies

Hells Comin

I have RCBS carbide dies as well. Very good as expected. I have wore out or damaged a couple Hornady nitrided dies and will not recommend them. Having used both, I cannot say the RCBS carbide sizer works better than the LEE carbide sizer. One does cost more than the other. 
Just my view from the arctic.

Lee has a smaller base 38/357 resize die that I highly recommend. It resizes the base just a little more than other dies and I found that it makes a difference on how easy shells drop in and out of the cylinders and how well they feed and eject from the 73

8 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And all this time...I've never used lube.

What a buffoon I must be...

Phantom

Lubing your pistol brass is like giving your press an action job.  Not necessary, but it really makes a difference.

No comment on the buffoon part....

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Lubing your pistol brass is like giving your press an action job.  Not necessary, but it really makes a difference.

Yeah makes a difference on how much longer it will take to reload. I can't think of a single benefit to lubing straight wall pistol cases. if your talking 44-40 I have no experience there. btw I'm using carbide dies also. 

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Well even a buffoon knows what it does...didn't say I didn't know what it is and what it does.

But...gee, thanks for the info. anyway.

:wacko:

Phantom

Even though my dies are carbide I find if I throw a thousand rounds of brass in a cardboard box and just spray the top cases with the Hornady one shot lube and then mix the cases together they go thru the progressive press much easier. I shoot both 45 and 38 and it makes a lot of difference on the 45s and much less on 38s. Lubing that way a can of one shot will easily do 20k cases or more and it’s hard to tell it’s even on the case

You mentioned the LEE die squeezing the base a little smaller. I notice this as well. Another benefit is if you set the expander die just right it will leave the case “small” behind a seated bullet. Makes it almost impossible for a bullet to get driven deeper into the case by recoil or slamming into a feed ramp when combined with a modest crimp. 
I have also found when I run 45s through a 38 die it takes more than a quick spray of lube.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:12 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

me too , i never realized i needed it , but then maybe i was just lucky ? 

This topic reminds me of a similar discussion about some people who like to polish their brass more before reloading.  It's not neccessary to have a bright polish but the way people point out that it's not neccessary, you'd think people were hand polishing each single case by hand. No, they're just letting it run a little longer and adding polish. 

Similarly as mentioned you spray a little on a bunch of cases and mix them around. It's not like you have to roll each case individually on a lube pad. 

On 11/16/2023 at 10:12 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

49 minutes ago, watab kid said:

me too , i never realized i needed it , but then maybe i was just lucky ? 

Me three.  I bought my first carbide die with my Dillon in 1987.  My lube pads became reserved for my rifle brass, until I discovered Royal spray lube.  But, I still only lube rifle brass.  While I prefer RCBS dies, I have a couple Redding sets and even a Lee set (someone gave it to me)... Both Redding sets are designated "small base" dies for use in auto-loaders.  I find them to be of as high a quality as the RCBS dies... maybe a tad better.

36 minutes ago, Griff said:

Me three.  I bought my first carbide die with my Dillon in 1987.  My lube pads became reserved for my rifle brass, until I discovered Royal spray lube.  But, I still only lube rifle brass.  While I prefer RCBS dies, I have a couple Redding sets and even a Lee set (someone gave it to me)... Both Redding sets are designated "small base" dies for use in auto-loaders.  I find them to be of as high a quality as the RCBS dies... maybe a tad better.

yup , i only lube my rifle brass , i was advised to get carbide when i started this game - i bought carbide 45colt and have never lubed a single piece of brass , a couple years ago i decided to expand to 38spcl but i was given a set of dies - not carbide [i figured i would upgrade if i had issues ] i never did so i didnt , i may never get around to it , 

the 4570 is another story , 

Archived