SASS Wire Forum

The Pox On Him!

Subdeacon Joe

Dangit, Joe...  I saw the title and IMMEDIATELY clicked on it - thought for sure it was gonna be about Emperor Newsom!  :huh:

I had my first Battle of Hastings day party on October 14, 1966, as a frat boy at Cal. The 900th anniversary.

I put on several B of H day bashes for years thereafter, into my mid-30s. I do a cocktail party now and then since; a good one in 2016, the 950th anniversary.

And, of course, I've seen the Tapestry in Bayeaux....

I have a large poster of Guillaume le Conquerant that I picked up in Rouen in 1987.

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I had my first Battle of Hastings day party on October 14, 1966, as a frat boy at Cal. The 900th anniversary.

I put on several B of H day bashes for years thereafter, into my mid-30s. I do a cocktail party now and then since; a good one in 2016, the 950th anniversary.

I have a large poster of Guillaume le Conquerant that I picked up in Rouen in 1987.

Did you do it according to the Julian or Gregorian calendar? Or did you just use it as an excuse to drink?

24 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did you do it according to the Julian or Gregorian calendar? Or did you just use it as an excuse to drink?

If you're just doing it to have an excuse fo drink, then you go by BOTH and throw 2 parties.

You're out of practice, Mo.

My current lodge Master is a former frat boy at Princeton.
One of his frat skills is that of Griddle Chef, of which he is definitely skilled.
We had Oktober Fest at our lodge last night, and he and his bride were cooking up brats and all the German fixin's, beer and wine.
We had some 40-odd very old "frat" boys and gals in attendance.

The Master's wife arranged a dessert contest where everybody sampled and voted with $1 tickets as a fund raiser.
My bride won two of three awards for her German Bavarian Cream dessert.

18 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Two years in a row ('13 & '14) we had tickets to the reenactments at Hastings, which got cancelled due to heavy rain making the fields unsafe for that!  My how times have changed since way back!  Would love to go back and try to see them soon though! 

Archived