SASS Wire Forum

Homemade Percussion Caps - Have you ever made your own?

Pat Riot

I was searching online for percussion caps today and having no luck. I was perusing Dixie Gunworks’ website and saw this nifty little doodad for forming percussion caps using aluminum from soda cans. 
The  description also mentions another product of theirs for the “repriming of primers”.

Have any of you used these products and if so how did your homemade primers work out?

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/10237/category_id/339/product_name/RL5500+Tap-O-Cap+%2310+Percussion+Cap+Maker

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/9717/category_id/342/product_name/RL0810+Prime-All+Compound+for+Reloading

Doodad:

image.thumb.png.0cb11306ebe73a78beda7f9f0df31889.png

Go putty:

image.thumb.jpeg.0fb14fc1d32dd33d565f9411a86a0d41.jpeg

I've done it.  Very time consuming, frustrating.  The caps go bang if you do everything right.  I'm saving this for the end of the world/ SHTF days.

I didn't  know dixie had that stuff, I have a web site that has the same stuff for sale

For actual ML pistols and rifles, a little piece of the proper ID clear rubber tubing plus a small rifle or pistol primer works if needed.  A 209 conversion works too.

Buffalo Arms Co has caps in stock at the moment FYI   $$$$ though.

I recall the day in 1975 or 76 when a kid walked in to the Flintlock at Hobby City and asked to speak to Ray Taylor. the boss.  He pulled what looked like half a hinge with a slot in the side out of a paper bag, took the "hinge pin", and a piece of a 7 Up can, a roll of toy cap gun caps and a box of strike anywhere matches and proceeded to make a dozen or so percussion caps.  He never said a word after asking to talk to Ray.  Ray got a pistol out of the back room and all but one of the caps fired.

Ray made some phone calls and did his magic and within a few weeks we were selling a slicked up version with Pat. Pend. markings on them.  The kid came up later with a great pistol prototype model (that for some reason never sold), made a goodly amount off of his cap maker, and vanished.  I kept my cap maker for years and have no idea what I did with it.  It was a clever idea but I never had much success making workable caps with it.

What’s really funny is right after I posted this I have found a couple of places that have caps in stock. Murphy’s Law again. 

I may get this thing just for the heck of it. 

I have a Cap making Kit,,, it stays in the bag. For when I can't buy or trade for caps anywhere.... Like might be coming to Canadastan....

Jabez Cowboy  

I opted for rock locks, outa be able to find flint, chert or some such.  With enough research or access to an old farmers recipe book you can make green powder.

I worked with a guy years ago that told me how he made percussion caps using strike anywhere matches when he was in high school. They used acetone, I believe, to dissolve the match heads and they would make a runny paste that they would put into cap cups they made with really thin copper sheeting. 

I also recall him telling me how they snuck into school early once and put this paste on the toilet seat standoffs so when someone sat done it would set it off like a firecracker. Trouble was one of the ceramic toilet fractured and literally broke in half when someone dropped the seat on the toilet rim. Apparently his Dad was not pleased as he had to pay for the damage. :lol:

On 10/6/2023 at 7:58 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I recall the day in 1975 or 76 when a kid walked in to the Flintlock at Hobby City and asked to speak to Ray Taylor. the boss.  He pulled what looked like half a hinge with a slot in the side out of a paper bag, took the "hinge pin", and a piece of a 7 Up can, a roll of toy cap gun caps and a box of strike anywhere matches and proceeded to make a dozen or so percussion caps.  He never said a word after asking to talk to Ray.  Ray got a pistol out of the back room and all but one of the caps fired.

Ray made some phone calls and did his magic and within a few weeks we were selling a slicked up version with Pat. Pend. markings on them.  The kid came up later with a great pistol prototype model (that for some reason never sold), made a goodly amount off of his cap maker, and vanished.  I kept my cap maker for years and have no idea what I did with it.  It was a clever idea but I never had much success making workable caps with it.

I seem to remember it was called a Tap-O-Cap.

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I seem to remember it was called a Tap-O-Cap.

That’s what Dixie Gun Works calls it on their website. 

Archived