SASS Wire Forum

Roll Crimp Question???

Rancho Roy

#1 Do you remove the star crimp on once fired plastic shells before you roll crimp?

#2 After you have removed the star crimp, loaded and fired, do you do anything to the mouth of the case before the next roll crimp....IE: cut a little bit more off the mount?

#3 with Black Powder, how many times are you reloading a plastic shotgun shell?

Thanks!

Yup.  Cut star crimp off completely down just about an 1/8th inch above my modified shot cup.

Nope.  I don't trim anymore off after use.  I normally get about 3 reloads before I toss them.

Probably could get a few more, but that's the limit I put on 'em as my personal preference.

45 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’m a one and done guy, but then again I get a lot of my shells for free. 

This is what I use to cut off the old star crimp Spin-N-Trim once it’s adjusted it works good. 

Problem is Im shooting 10 gauge. Not easy to come by once fired shells. Need to get as many firings as I can 

1 hour ago, Rancho Roy said:

Problem is Im shooting 10 gauge. Not easy to come by once fired shells. Need to get as many firings as I can 

My experience with Fiocchi plastic 10g hulls was a failure.  Sometimes burn through on first shot. 

Unless you find some mother load of once fired hulls,  you'll be money and trouble ahead and buy brass.  Track of the Wolf has the lowest price I've seen on brass hulls.  (Oops! Add is 2013) 

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/newsletter.aspx/B2404E6A6CE94FF5

Roy,

I've used the primed RIO hulls from Ballistic Products in 12ga, roll crimped. One & done! The end turns square after shooting!! Other than that, they've worked fine. No shucking issues. I use an antique roll crimper from eBay.

Today I turned this device to smooth out the mouth of a fired shotgun shell. Works the trick!

You can buy one from BPI...This video (not mine) shows it in use...

IMG_1599.jpeg

I turned one out of maple and it worked well too. You're having way to much fun Roy!

I just keep on reusing my hulls until they are too burned to use any more.  I have no idea how many reloads I’m getting, but it is several.  I presort them at the unloading table, throwing out (or giving them to Jammer!) the most burned hulls.  Once loaded I keep the best for big shoots and the half burned for fun shoots.  Even the half burned hulls shuck fine.  I do polish the chambers occasionally.

For my 12 ga I use a ball pein hammer to open the mouth of the hull when needed.  I recently found a small belaying pin for the same task.  I’ll just have to find a bigger hammer when i do 10 ga again someday.

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

My experience with Fiocchi plastic 10g hulls was a failure.  Sometimes burn through on first shot. 

I've got up to 2-3 loads with APP. I just keep cutting back.

Yesterday I went to the range and tried five different powders....FFG Black, APP, Pyrodex RS, Shooters World Black  and Shocky Gold....All performed great! 60g by volume under 1 1/8oz of 7.5, 1/8" over powder Nitro wad, 1/2" Lube wad, 1/2" Fiber wad, shot, over shot wad.......Real Black Powder burns extremely hot and melts the mouth of the cases, requiring trimming about an 1/8" before second loading....All the other powders just needed the mouths resized with my drill press mounted mouth sizing tool, and then load ass usual. The BP shells look quite used after one loading. All the others are relatively clean and look like they could be reloaded many more times. I believe part of this is the larger diameter of the 10g shell and more open area for the heat of firing to dissipate. 

With black powder and needing trimming after every firing, at some point I'm going to be firing "MINI" shotgun shells!

Black Powder certainly SOUNDS better......BOOM!!!....All the other powders just go BANG! (Love the BOOM)......I wonder if anyone has tried Duplex Loads in shotgun shells? Back in the day this is what we used in our long-range BP buffalo rifles....The boom with very little clean up....

Having a blast with the BIG 10!

44 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Black Powder certainly SOUNDS better......BOOM!!!....All the other powders just go BANG! (Love the BOOM)......I wonder if anyone has tried Duplex Loads in shotgun shells? Back in the day this is what we used in our long-range BP buffalo rifles....The boom with very little clean up....

Having a blast with the BIG 10!

I use 60 grains ( 4 cc ) of FFg under 1 oz of shot for big matches as I love the BOOM. For monthly matches I use 35 grains by weight of 3F APP under 7/8 ounce of shot. 

As for Duplex loads,  They are not legal for SASS. SHB pg 26

I've switched over to brass hulls.  As I mentioned in another post, if you go to gun shows, firearms auctions and maybe and look for the "antique" brass, most will take a LP primer, avoid the ones that don't and probably avoid the Alcan non brass hulls.  As long as no one steps on the brass hull, case life is a lot more than you will get with plastic hulls.  

I've tried Federal hulls and found the plastic hulls did not hold up to repeated loading's.  The Remington hulls hold up fairly well, I think some of mine are on at least their fifth loading.  As long as the powder and shot stay in the hull, I keep reloading them even if there are some burn through holes. 

And yes, the hulls will get shorter as time goes by.

“I've switched over to brass hulls”

I do use them for 12g….but 10g are very expensive and/or impossible to find. I do have 10G to 12G chamber adapters, but at $30 each You had brtter not step on one!

These are the hulls I use in my 10ga. BPI  They are primed and at .62 cents apiece I don’t think that’s too much to pay.  I have to trim them down for them to work in my lever action and after loading I put a roll crimp on them. 

3 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

“I've switched over to brass hulls”

I do use them for 12g….but 10g are very expensive and/or impossible to find. I do have 10G to 12G chamber adapters, but at $30 each You had brtter not step on one!

Between a gun show and a firearms auction I picked about 45 brass hulls of which maybe 5 were unusable and I think I paid maybe $5 a hull. Between them and the Rocky Mountain hulls I've accumulated over the years I have about 100 brass hulls ranging from 3 1/2" RMC's using 209 primers down to some 2 5/8" that use large pistol. 

Not saying you have to get them all at once, but with a little work and a little luck you might be able to get enough to shoot a match with brass hulls by the time the plastic hulls start to become unusable.

If you happen to find used RMC's hulls, make sure they chamber in your shotgun before buying them.  Not RMC's fault, but I bought some that would not chamber and re-sizing a RMC hull is not an easy task.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:44 AM, Rancho Roy said:

3 with Black Powder, how many times are you reloading a plastic shotgun shell?

Don’t reload. Only use once. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I have the roll-crimp tool but just liad bp sheets the same as smokeless, with a star crimp.  I get 4-6 bp reloads before the case mouth burns or splits to the point that a crimp is not reliable.

On 10/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Unless you find some mother load of once fired hulls,  you'll be money and trouble ahead and buy brass.  Track of the Wolf has the lowest price I've seen on brass hulls.  (Oops! Add is 2013) 

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/newsletter.aspx/B2404E6A6CE94FF5

Yup. I have 'em in 12ga.  Use for annuals and big shoots.

Fun to load up and smoke skeeters outta the county.

Archived