SASS Wire Forum

Question for Frontiersman

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

As I am sure many of you are having difficulties getting Remington # 10 caps. I have the Slix shot nipples on my ROA's. They are not fond of anything other than the Remington caps. Do any of you use Treso nipples and are they less fussy about what caps you use? Any information would be appreciated or educated opinions.

Sgt Hochbauer

I prefer Treso nipples to slix.

They have the smallest exit hole going, which helps with powder blowback & cap fragmentation.

Don't know how they are with other brands of caps, as I have a lifetime supply of Remington #10s.

I highly recommend that you read Mako's excellent cap primer:

https://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

--Dawg

I have used CCI caps on my guns with Treso nipples will some good results. I did call Slix customer service and the rep told me that their nipples will work well with Remington #10 and CCI 11 as well. I told him my slix nipples did not shoot CCI 11 without cycling at least one time and then not all the time on the second hit. He mentioned that the old inventory of CCI 11 do not work well but to try the new production and they should work much better. I found some new ones and will try them out this weekend and hope he is right. DC

When you say “not fond of” what do you mean?  The caps won’t seat?  They fall off?  I’ve been using Slixx with CCI #11’s and haven’t had any issues (yet), I hope I didn’t just anger the cap gods :o   Anyway, CCI #11 or Remington #10 should work just fine. 

While I prefer Remington #10s, RWS 1075s and CCI #11x are the same diameter have but shorter skirts.  I've found they both need to be pushed on the nipple in order to ensure ignition with first hammer strike.  After applying a cap, I turn the capper over and use the back side to get a second push to fully seat the cap.

I have used Remington #10s, #11s; CCI #10s and #11S, and RWS with both Slix and Treso nipples. With me I have to hit the CCIs #10 or #11 twice 80% of the time to get ignition.  I have never loaded 5 chambers, used CCI caps and got all to fire the first time. In a match I find CCIs frustrating and only use them to "pop caps" before loading.

Treso nipples  and #11 CCIs....never a problem. They even worked with the home made cap experiment just fine. Im willing to bet that those who have had a problem have lightened springs too much.

I use slix shot nipples in all my guns  .

I also have a lifetime supply of Remington #10 caps .

I have had very good luck using CCI#11 caps on all my guns .

I also install my caps with a Polish Capper and push them tight with a Deer Horn to insure a fully seated cap.

They are  about 100% functional with this method. 

So Saith The Rooster 

8 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

When you say “not fond of” what do you mean?  The caps won’t seat?  They fall off?  I’ve been using Slixx with CCI #11’s and haven’t had any issues (yet), I hope I didn’t just anger the cap gods :o   Anyway, CCI #11 or Remington #10 should work just fine. 

An issue I have had recently with CCI # 11s is that the compound wasn't poured level in the cap making them stick out too far, like a high primer! They do work on my muzzleloader. Haven't found the standards until last week when I scored 600 at Wally World for $5.62 per tin. They are poured poorly too, but maybe with less compound, they won't be an issue. Haven't tried em yet. Sure miss the Rems. I have TOW nipples on my 1860s and the like Rem 10 or 11s. TOW says they are for CCI 11s.

IMG_20230518_110005.thumb.jpg.70d207daa1d56c432822b2c7fe4b5fe9.jpg

6 hours ago, SASS # 36048 said:

I have used Remington #10s, #11s; CCI #10s and #11S, and RWS with both Slix and Treso nipples. With me I have to hit the CCIs #10 or #11 twice 80% of the time to get ignition.  I have never loaded 5 chambers, used CCI caps and got all to fire the first time. In a match I find CCIs frustrating and only use them to "pop caps" before loading.

Are you using a push stick to seat the caps fully on the nipple?

What pistols are you using?

Do they have stock springs?

10 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

An issue I have had recently with CCI # 11s is that the compound wasn't poured level in the cap making them stick out too far, like a high primer! They do work on my muzzleloader. Haven't found the standards until last week when I scored 600 at Wally World for $5.62 per tin. They are poured poorly too, but maybe with less compound, they won't be an issue. Haven't tried em yet. Sure miss the Rems. I have TOW nipples on my 1860s and the like Rem 10 or 11s. TOW says they are for CCI 11s.

IMG_20230518_110005.thumb.jpg.70d207daa1d56c432822b2c7fe4b5fe9.jpg

I see that, those are terrible!  You might want to reach out to CCI and show them the picture, who knows maybe they’ll replace them. 

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I see that, those are terrible!  You might want to reach out to CCI and show them the picture, who knows maybe they’ll replace them. 

You're right, I probably should. I never have much luck with those sorta things! Since they work on my muzzleloaderloader, I had figured I'd just use em up and save myself the aggravation! Just bought some non-magnum ones and they aren't much better! Maybe their plant got tilted in a storm!:lol:

PLUS ONE for Prairie Dawg

Additionally, I have found for complete reliability, it is necessary, regardless of Cap, to "final" seat the cap tightly against the nipple.

Archived