SASS Wire Forum

I met a Hero today. The real kind

One Gun Jimmy

40 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Cool! How did you know it was him? The only photos I have seen of him were from the 2000’s. 

I am a pretty big war buff and a fan of the people that pay incredibly high prices for us to live free.

I recognized him at first sight but he does look very different  from the earlier photos so I wasent 100% but close enough and this big scar on his face. So I hopped on his Instagram and found  a pic of the same lapel pin and his rings are very distinctive. 

40 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Story???

I was just standing in the airport and he stood next to me long enough for me to be about 90% sure it was him.

So I did a quick look on his Instagram and decided it was close enough to 100 that I had to say something.

I walked up, and for the record he saw me coming a mile away in his peripheral...just that kind of situational awareness.

He turned and I said

"Excuse me, are you Marcus Luttrell?"

He said "Yes Sir I am" with an outreached hand.....Called me sir? I'm only 35...class act

I said "I just wanna say I appreciate your service and your sacrifice, you are a real insperation"

He said "Thank you, I appreciate it"

I said "I don't wanna trouble you, but would it be to much to ask for a photo?"

He said " Absolutly not, no problem. This is my wife Melanie."

She walks up and says "hi, nice to meet you  and shakes my hand

Then says "I'll take the picture if you like"

I say thanks so much and hand her my phone.

Mr. Luttrell puts his arm around me and pulls me in tight and she takes a couple shots.

I thank them both, shook hands and got out of his hair.

Incredibly hospitable and both were very nice and welcoming.

For just a random guy in an airport they absolutely could not have been nicer or more welcoming .

10 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

I was just standing in the airport and he stood next to me long enough for me to be about 90% sure it was him.

So I did a quick look on his Instagram and decided it was close enough to 100 that I had to say something.

I walked up, and for the record he saw me coming a mile away in his peripheral...just that kind of situational awareness.

He turned and I said

"Excuse me, are you Marcus Luttrell?"

He said "Yes Sir I am" with an outreached hand.....Called me sir? I'm only 35...class act

I said "I just wanna say I appreciate your service and your sacrifice, you are a real insperation"

He said "Thank you, I appreciate it"

I said "I don't wanna trouble you, but would it be to much to ask for a photo?"

He said " Absolutly not, no problem. This is my wife Melanie."

She walks up and says "hi, nice to meet you  and shakes my hand

Then says "I'll take the picture if you like"

I say thanks so much and hand her my phone.

Mr. Luttrell puts his arm around me and pulls me in tight and she takes a couple shots.

I thank them both, shook hands and got out of his hair.

Incredibly hospitable and both were very nice and welcoming.

For just a random guy in an airport they absolutely could not have been nicer or more welcoming .

That's an absolutely wonderful story. As you said " a true hero"

58 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Cool! How did you know it was him? The only photos I have seen of him were from the 2000’s. 

Had a second thought...

You know how I DIDN'T  recognize him.

All the people coming up to him.

In a crowded airport...small, but crowded I didn't see a single person speak to him but me.

In a world we're we idolize famous people for nothing...THIS is the guy that should be on posters for kids to look upto.

I've met a few NFL players,  few MLB, many musicians and pro wrestlers back in the day...but this is the first time my hands shook after .

It's a shame we don't have better priorities of people.

Pretty danged cool, OGJ, thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Story???

Marcus Luttrell (born November 7, 1975) is a retired United States Navy SEAL who received the Navy Cross and Purple Heart for his actions in June 2005 against Taliban fighters during Operation Red Wings in which he was the lone survivor. Luttrell became an SO1 by the end of his eight-year career in the United States Navy.

AKA the Movie "Lone Survivor"
Operation Red Wings 

Good guy met him on several occasions worked  with him a Bit in Ramadi  

55 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Had a second thought...

You know how I DIDN'T  recognize him.

All the people coming up to him.

In a crowded airport...small, but crowded I didn't see a single person speak to him but me.

In a world we're we idolize famous people for nothing...THIS is the guy that should be on posters for kids to look upto.

I've met a few NFL players,  few MLB, many musicians and pro wrestlers back in the day...but this is the first time my hands shook after .

It's a shame we don't have better priorities of people.

I sure wouldn’t have recognized him now. 

I have a tendency to see people or remember people as they were and never aging. 
This past year I have been reacquainted with family members that I haven’t seen in decades. I would have never known these folks were family if I passed them on the street. 

I am glad you were able to meet him. :)

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I sure wouldn’t have recognized him now. 

I have a tendency to see people or remember people as they were and never aging. 
This past year I have been reacquainted with family members that I haven’t seen in decades. I would have never known these folks were family if I passed them on the street. 

I am glad you were able to meet him. :)

Thanks, I'm glad I could give him some small recognition and glad he wasn't a prick lol.

I definitely understand not being a face person or how you  can't remember a face that has changed.

One of my close friends here in Arizona is a true hero and I didn't know it for the first four years I knew him.

Army combat medic with four Purple Hearts of his own.  The last two were on consecutive days,  Silver Star, Bronze Star and a bucket of others.  He doesn't talk about it and is almost shy when you meet him.

When I had my "episode" just before last Christmas he found me on the floor by my fridge.  I'd been there 32 hours, was having seizures and hallucinations, most of that time, and was terribly dehydrated.  He knew exactly what to do, got a neighbor lady to help out, called 911, and stayed with me until I was taken away. Then  he organized care for my dog, mail pick up, helped clean up the mess in my kitchen, secured my guns, and organized the neighbors to care for my house.

He checked on me every day for the whole nine days I was in the hospital, and brought my dog when he came to pick me up.

When I got back home he shrugged off my thanks.

His wife, who is a nurse, accepted an invitation to Red Lobster and forced him to come along....and even then I had to fight him for the bill.

Lots of heroes in this world and many of them are not known nor recognized.  They all should be.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

One of my close friends here in Arizona is a true hero and I didn't know it for the first four years I knew him.

Army combat medic with four Purple Hearts of his own.  The last two were on consecutive days,  Silver Star, Bronze Star and a bucket of others.  He doesn't talk about it and is almost shy when you meet him.

When I had my "episode" just before last Christmas he found me on the floor by my fridge.  I'd been there 32 hours, was having seizures and hallucinations, most of that time, and was terribly dehydrated.  He knew exactly what to do, got a neighbor lady to help out, called 911, and stayed with me until I was taken away. Then  he organized care for my dog, mail pick up, helped clean up the mess in my kitchen, secured my guns, and organized the neighbors to care for my house.

He checked on me every day for the whole nine days I was in the hospital, and brought my dog when he came to pick me up.

When I got back home he shrugged off my thanks.

His wife, who is a nurse, accepted an invitation to Red Lobster and forced him to come along....and even then I had to fight him for the bill.

Lots of heroes in this world and many of them are not known nor recognized.  They all should be.

That's amazing.

most heros are just common men that did what needed doing at that time , moist dont want to be recognized later , 

"..In a world we're we idolize famous people for nothing...THIS is the guy that should be on posters for kids to look upto...."

AMEN TO THAT 

in person?  Where do you find his speeches?

Tolerating the story when reading it is tough.  I tried to watch Blackhawk down and had to turn it off.  I was damaged as a kid when dad took my brother to see Patton where we kick butt and then he took me to see Tora Tora Tora.  I just kept expecting we'd win.  When that single airplane takes off I expected he'd at least do some damage...NOT.  Really dad?

I told my wife about someone meeting Luttrell in the airport.  She said 'wow, cool'.  I said something about liberal heroes don't behave that way.  She said there are no liberal heroes.  I wanted to argue with her but that is a bad idea and in this case I'd have to work hard to come up with a good argument....'Yes dear'.

57 minutes ago, Gungadin said:

in person?  Where do you find his speeches?

Tolerating the story when reading it is tough.  I tried to watch Blackhawk down and had to turn it off.  I was damaged as a kid when dad took my brother to see Patton where we kick butt and then he took me to see Tora Tora Tora.  I just kept expecting we'd win.  When that single airplane takes off I expected he'd at least do some damage...NOT.  Really dad?

I told my wife about someone meeting Luttrell in the airport.  She said 'wow, cool'.  I said something about liberal heroes don't behave that way.  She said there are no liberal heroes.  I wanted to argue with her but that is a bad idea and in this case I'd have to work hard to come up with a good argument....'Yes dear'.

This is a pretty good just run through of what happened some , funny, motivational stuff and a little history on him.

29 minutes ago, Gungadin said:

Quit

• Go home, slap your daddy and tell him he screwed up raising you.
  • Go home and brush your teeth with a pistol

His coach didn't have much use for quitters.

Might be harsh...but truth he told..do any of us have any use for quitters

1 hour ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Yea, listening to his speeches are intense 

If you like those I could led you to a few podcasts  that really tell you alot of the stories media wont about Iraq and Afghanistan 

Marcus (Southern Boy )will be the first to tell you "He's no Hero"  DJ, Murph, Axe , Kip, Iceman and so on are the Heros  
Being with 160th at the time I knew many of those involved and with that I wont go into any other "stories" about it 

25 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

If you like those I could led you to a few podcasts  that really tell you alot of the stories media wont about Iraq and Afghanistan 

Marcus (Southern Boy )will be the first to tell you "He's no Hero"  DJ, Murph, Axe , Kip, Iceman and so on are the Heros  
Being with 160th at the time I knew many of those involved and with that I wont go into any other "stories" about it 

I'm always interested in these kinds of stories.

Archived