SASS Wire Forum

My man Godfrey

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Some of you may be familiar with this movie.  If so you'll understand when I tell you I feel like I became Godfrey this afternoon.

I had some business in Prescott and got there a few hours early and decided to kill the time by cruising some of antique stores on Cortez Street.  Now I was dressed the same as I almost always am: boots, jeans, a western-style snap front shirt and my favorite ole black hat, clothes like I've worn most of my life.

In one of the stores there were three young ladies  shopping around and, because I'm old but not yet dead, I looked them over.  One smiled and walked over and asked if she could get a picture of me and her together.  A smiled back and asked why.

Seems there is group of girls from  a college in Iowa that are traveling the county as a class project and they go to places they have decided are interesting and historical, not over two days in each town.  Okay!  Why the pictures?

They have broken into six teams of three each and every day they have a "treasure hunt" to find something and take pictures of what they are to find.  They were to find a "real cowboy", take a picture and post it on a website before the other groups did.  I told her that she was in the heart cowboy country and could close her eyes and walk down the street and three out every five people  she bumped into could fill the bill.  She told me that she knew that but hadn't found any one who looked like an old fashioned cowboy. (Should I have been insulted?)  After she took the picture (it was really good) and sent it to the website, I became "Godfrey". I invited her and her ladies to join us for breakfast tomorrow and said she could see more cowboys and cowgirls than she could imagine.

She thanked me but said they were were catching a shuttle to Sky Harbor ("Isn't that just the coolest name ever for an airport?") because they were on their way to Salt Lake City for two days and then on up to Seattle.

They were so enthusiastic I wish I could have gone with them.  I didn't think to ask what else they were to get pictures of, and even forgot to ask for a copy of the one she took of me.  Hell, I didn't even get her name.

I most truly be getting old!

You might make a few calls to some of the colleges in Iowa.

You might get lucky, AGAIN!

Google "Godfrey" over the next few days and choose "images" as the filter on the tool bar.  You might find yourself!!

3 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Forty, you somehow have a knack for being at the right place at the right time.

Glad you had a great time with those young ladies.

Sometimes I've put myself in the right place at the right time, but I've also just been lucky a lot of the time.

This was absolutely unplanned, and I'm grateful to Mama Fate for these kinds of times.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Google "Godfrey" over the next few days and choose "images" as the filter on the tool bar.  You might find yourself!!

I've ben trying to find myself for years.  Too often I get there after I've already left.

I asked a girl to breakfast once. Worked out just fine. But, unlike your recent experience, I knew her name, her size, and every freckle on the nice girl by the time we had breakfast the next day. No pictures involved though!

Hi sweetheart! Oh, you checked the Saloon today. Lovely!

Yes, hon, it was YOU. Yes, I know that's private. Yes, hon. No hon, I won't talk like this again. I understand luv. Yes luv. Let's move on luv. Hon, I understand. No, really. I got it. No, I won't hang out with Widder and TN. It was a mistake. I realize that now. Never happen again. 

Hon, really. I thought Forty would be safe to hang around with. He's "distinguished and all". 

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I asked a girl to breakfast once. Worked out just fine. But, unlike your recent experience, I knew her name, her size, and every freckle on the nice girl by the time we had breakfast the next day. No pictures involved though!

Hi sweetheart! Oh, you checked the Saloon today. Lovely!

Yes, hon, it was YOU. Yes, I know that's private. Yes, hon. No hon, I won't talk like this again. I understand luv. Yes luv. Let's move on luv. Hon, I understand. No, really. I got it. No, I won't hang out with Widder and TN. It was a mistake. I realize that now. Never happen again. 

Hon, really. I thought Forty would be safe to hang around with. He's "distinguished and all". 

Slim, when did the doctor say that the swelling will start to go down?B)

Archived