SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycles

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The wild magoo was Danny Chandler.  He rode on the edge, fast and loose so he would wreck hard like Mr Magoo.  I’d like to see him race James Stewart in his prime.

http://hof.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=61

‘82 or ‘83. In a 500cc race he had to go backwards on a hill to get going.  The hill had three step ups and he wasn’t the only rider to ride backwards direction down the hill.  He was the only one penalized for it.  He said it cost him the class championship that year.  So in protest he rode the 250cc across the finish line the right direction but sitting backwards.  

I haven’t tried riding a bike backwards. At this stage of my life I wouldn’t even consider trying. One would have to be strangely talented to do that, I’m sure. :D

Thanks for the explanation. 

• Like 2

I saw some of the “Trials”  riders do some amazing things at big events when I was very young and did a little enduro riding.

I don’t recall his name, but one of the Scandinavian riders would stand his bike up and then walk up the front tire, step onto the tank over the handlebars, and then step onto the seat, onto the rear fender and off the back of the bike.  He never touched it with his hands and he would then turn around and walk back the other way. No stand and nothing to steady the bike.  

On pavement, the bike was so well balanced that it could stand on its own until someone or something disturbed it!!

Some of those guys were amazing!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 3:55 PM, Pat Riot said:

Not really a motorcycle, but I like the concept. 
image.thumb.jpeg.602d98bb0d6a94e447b72a6fd5fee48c.jpeg

My dog would climb up out of that gap between the seat and handle bars so fast it wouldn't be funny.

• Haha 1

Regarding dogs, what I have seen:

• A larger saddlebag on one side that a full size Dalmatian would sit in.
  • A bagger with the lid taken off of the rear box that the dog would lay in
  • A basket on the tank of a Sportster that a miniature Poodle would lay in.
  • Like 3

I've seen the tour pack lid removal and one in a box on the passenger seat. Both HD dressers.

I would have put a laugh on the previous post, but it ain’t as funny as it is true!!

• Like 4

My laugh at the above post is because back in the 1980s I built one of those to use in the pits at big races to get around quickly between the several cars that I crew chiefed for.

I used a ten hp Tecumseh engine and heavy duty centrifugal clutch built for go kart racing to power it.  For fun, we put a drag slick on the back wheel, a kart header, a racing carb, and a disc brake on it.

The guy that built the engine added a hotter cam and a higher compression piston, ported the block and installed a larger intake valve.  We figured that that engine probably made twenty-five or more horsepower with the governor disabled.  The mini bike might have weighed seventy pounds, (I could pick it up with one hand) and my boss/racing partner weighed  a hundred and forty pounds soaking wet with a horseshoe in both back pockets!

We used that thing for a couple of years around the drag strips, often to tow one or another of the cars through the staging lanes, but when we got the chance, ol’ Billy, my partner would make an 1/8 mile pass with that little monster.  It did impressive burnouts and would run well over 70 mph!! :lol:

I wish I had it now!  We never knew how fast it would really go. Nobody ever had nerve enough to run it wide open through the quarter! :ph34r:

I don’t know what ever happened to it.  Three and four wheel ATVs got popular in the pits about that time and they were much safer for anyone to operate!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nothing like a high performance mini bike :D.

70mph, holy shat!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Taken from a motorcycle.   I  used to work with the guy in the RatRod.  See if you can see his hood ornament.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02E6YpYQn2MhK6AvMnq7ohgbaHadGn1bnkQPjhagMSWqEUn5hJiEHqBmF2f3q8bSzzl&id=100000665976014&mibextid=Nif5oz

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Taken from a motorcycle.   I  used to work with the guy in the RatRod.  See if you can see his hood ornament.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02E6YpYQn2MhK6AvMnq7ohgbaHadGn1bnkQPjhagMSWqEUn5hJiEHqBmF2f3q8bSzzl&id=100000665976014&mibextid=Nif5oz

I couldn’t enlarge to see the hood ornament, but that truck looks great. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

It's a heavily rust encrusted .32 kit gun he had turned up with a plough.

The truck is the body of a 1940 Powerwagon that was in a ranchers field on top of a Datsun pickup frame and engine. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It's a heavily rust encrusted .32 kit gun he had turned up with a plough.

The truck is the body of a 1940 Powerwagon that was in a ranchers field on top of a Datsun pickup frame and engine. 

It looks great. Looks like a fun project. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Best I could make out on the phone, it's a revolver.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 11:16 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I used a ten hp Tecumseh engine and heavy duty centrifugal clutch built for go kart racing to power it.  For fun, we put a drag slick on the back wheel, a kart header, a racing carb, and a disc brake on it.

The guy that built the engine added a hotter cam and a higher compression piston, ported the block and installed a larger intake valve.  We figured that that engine probably made twenty-five or more horsepower with the governor disabled.  The mini bike might have weighed seventy pounds, (I could pick it up with one hand) and my boss/racing partner weighed  a hundred and forty pounds soaking wet with a horseshoe in both back pockets!

We used that thing for a couple of years around the drag strips, often to tow one or another of the cars through the staging lanes, but when we got the chance, ol’ Billy, my partner would make an 1/8 mile pass with that little monster.  It did impressive burnouts and would run well over 70 mph!! :lol:

I wish I had it now!  We never knew how fast it would really go. Nobody ever had nerve enough to run it wide open through the quarter! :ph34r:

I don’t know what ever happened to it.  Three and four wheel ATVs got popular in the pits about that time and they were much safer for anyone to operate!! 

NO!

You're just starting to heal!
Don't screw it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Gotta learn somehow.  Frame sliders on the bike, I'd personally go more atgat, and a private lot with what appears to pass for instruction.

Well, at least she guided it to the grass!

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Another motorcycle running away from the rider.  How many times do you think she has had to chase it while learning?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/778796216913793

The drama of it all. Bummed and dramatic about her bike falling over. 
Boo-f’ing-hoo. I feel for her. Not! 
If you’re gonna play, you’re gonna pay. 

Edit: Stupid, ridiculous, annoying, unnecessary system merge…

IMG_8667.thumb.jpeg.dd99334e41ae7393200317e82b0bca1a.jpeg

Edited by Pat Riot
F*** MERGING!
  • Like 3

6,8 & 12 cylinder bikes

image.thumb.jpeg.2fcac179113d21e740f4cb0088f07b2d.jpeg

image.jpeg.cdf5c535b98c53ef966bd8ef4d0ac2c8.jpeg

image.jpeg.5d924d658b1faeaece410a472b2e6a48.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.53d83a06819569baaf76ca30468f7086.jpeg

image.jpeg.4f5c7c7415729f0a916c7807cdc4c42c.jpeg

image.jpeg.dc62cc277028a2d4d1eab7c02d68a975.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2e46097ba412baf6c1939cb685ba8a14.jpeg

I’ll bet synching the carbs and adjusting the valve lash on the Kawasaki would be interesting. The Honda too. These 2 are the only ones out of the bunch I would like to ride. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Does anyone have information about the black and white pictures?  Have read claims that they made a 1978 kz1600 for Japan only.

Nope. Sorry. I just found the photos. I thought they were cool. 

23 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

image.jpeg.4f5c7c7415729f0a916c7807cdc4c42c.jpeg

........ I reckon this'n would probably go a bit better if it had leads onto them sparkling plugs .......  ;)

You can’t see them?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

You can’t see them?

18 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 a compliment to the builder when his wiring is so clean you can't see it.  

ngcb1

Thanks, .... I could not see them ......  :wacko:

• Like 2