SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycles

Subdeacon Joe

20 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

image.thumb.png.2dd53fd7ace8329c991329564b67b6ae.png

And the next day you heard from the divorce attorney!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I once broke my ankle when a neighbor drove out of his driveway without so much as glancing down the street to see what might be coming, despite the thundering of my open heaser that he was notorious for complaining about! I laid the bike down to keep from hitting him broadside!  He didn’t stop or even look back.

Tell me he ended up with a black eye so maybe he’d remember in the future to use it well. 

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Riding in hail really sucked in my humble opinion!

Yes Sir, it absolutely does. 

The most painful ride I can recall was the day a storm blew in off the Pacific and I wasn’t aware it was coming. I had ridden to Malibu and went up into the hills to go to the Rock Store (famous motorcycle hang out). I got there and no one was there on a Saturday. I knew something was wrong. The lady in the store told me I had better head home. I figured it was no big deal. I was very wrong. Big wind blown rain drops hurt like hell when you’re not wearing a helmet. Temps dropped from 70 to 45. My leather jacket wasn’t quite enough. I rode 40 miles and nearly froze to death.
Memorable ride. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Quote:Par Riot

“Tell me he ended up with a black eye so maybe he’d remember in the future to use it well.”

Pat!  It’s against the law to hit idiots!!  BUT!!  His wife saw the whole thing and made him pay for the medical stuff!!  She treated him like a skunk for several weeks!!

• Like 6

image.thumb.jpeg.1c768f7eb6febb146b6fb7a22503b7c3.jpeg

I started to say that this girl is completely nuts, but then remembered that I have done a few very similar things and decided not to throw rocks from my glass house. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1c768f7eb6febb146b6fb7a22503b7c3.jpeg

I started to say that this girl is completely nuts, but then remembered that I have done a few very similar things and decided not to throw rocks from my glass house. 

Still nuts and we hope she doesn't have a hard lesson from it....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Still nuts and we hope she doesn't have a hard lesson from it....

True, and that idiot should know better than to ride on road stripes. 

• Like 4

Judging from the location of her left shoe she is not in contact with the bike. 

Either a stunt team or pre calamity pick

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

Judging from the location of her left shoe she is not in contact with the bike. 

Either a stunt team or pre calamity pick

That is Emma Gomolko, from St Petersburg and it is her gsxr.  She was a social media stunt rider about ten years ago.  I don't know who he is, her stunts were mostly solo in revealing clothing.  Maybe she quit after Olga Pronina died because a quick search didn't pull up her youtube channel.

@Pat Riot it appears that he is crossing the line while passing the camera car for multiple angles. The bike is leaning on a straight road. 

Edited by sassnetguy50
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:27 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

image.png.a67229584bdf2642192473eaebb6f5c7.png

I get a kick out of that “pandemonium attachment” comment. 
On my bikes the “pandemonium attachment” was and is ME! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Double Tap

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474

On 1/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

What the hell were we thinking! Definitely too old for that crap now!!! Assuming I had a choice.;)

And it takes so long to heal!

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 4:16 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

What the hell were we thinking! Definitely too old for that crap now!!! Assuming I had a choice.;)

Honestly?  I didn’t even think about it back then.  It was what I was and what I did. Simple as that!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 5

Just now, sassnetguy50 said:

Would you wear airbag pants to avoid injury now that you're older?  Note: you have to tether and untether every time you ride

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/IXxpgAkC-2A?l

Not in this lifetime and probably not in the next two or three!!

I want to be able to get away from the bike in some circumstances where I can!!  Being “tethered” to it would mean I have to ride out whatever tumbles or impacts the bike decided to take me through!

Once when off roading, I had a failure that would have taken me through a barbed wire fence had I not been able to get away from the motorcycle.  I’da been shredded!!  I kicked away and slid on my butt for a ways. The bike wound up tangled in wire and had to be cut out!  There was a “T” post through the seat and rear fender.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Not in this lifetime and probably not in the next two or three!!

I want to be able to get away from the bike in some circumstances where I can!!  Being “tethered” to it would mean I have to ride out whatever tumbles or impacts the bike decided to take me through!

Once when off roading, I had a failure that would have taken me through a barbed wire fence had I not been able to get away from the motorcycle.  I’da been shredded!!  I kicked away and slid on my butt for a ways. The bike wound up tangled in wire and had to be cut out!  There was a “T” post through the seat and rear fender.

The tether comes free like a kill tether or static line, it is the activation trigger.

Smart decision. I've been in, through, and over barbed wire fences, none are fun.

Edited by sassnetguy50
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There are also tetherless options. Triggered by force or GPS proximity.

Lot if racers use them. The vests inflate with collar/helmet  stabilizers

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Would you wear airbag pants to avoid injury now that you're older?  Note: you have to tether and untether every time you ride

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/IXxpgAkC-2A?l

Not those pants. They’re nearly worthless to me except for the tailbone protection. There’s no knee or ankle protection. 

Anyone that’s ever ridden and ridden in hot weather wouldn’t wear them either.

I looked into the jackets that detect an accident and inflate. I have talked to people that have them and they all said the same thing. They like the peace of mind but comfort in warmer weather sucks. 
Most do not protect the ribcage around the sides. 
I am a real skeptic when it comes to electronics and safety gear. The vests all use accelerometers and / or gyros to detect an accident and inflate. I made a darn good living off of failed electronics and electrical systems. I do not trust electronics with my life so I am dubious on the use of these vests. 
The one thing that disturbs me about these vests is IF the electronics fail you have a compressed gas tank somewhere on your back, either at your spine or lower ribcage. 

Unfortunately for companies to come up with better systems it requires a lot of testing and that takes capital. They don’t have capital if people don’t buy their equipment. 
Another thing about the companies that make these vests. They need good lawyers and underwriters in case of a lawsuit or lawsuits. That takes lots of money too. 

I go back and forth on whether I should spend money on one of these safety devices. The one thing that cuts the odds of an accident injury way down is to not ride a bike. 
I am not willing to give up my bike so I take a risk every time I get on it and go.

There is a saying in the motorcycle community and it’s condensed in to this Acro-abreviation. ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time.

I follow that pretty well except for the riding pants with dedicated armor. My jackets are armored. I wear a good polycarbonate helmet and I wear boots ( not steel toed…never steel toed).

Since I do not ride to and from work I plan to get some riding pants in the next couple of months. Pants with armor for the knees and possibly the hips. I will wear these on day rides along with the rest of my gear. 

• Like 2

Too hot in Texas for that extra add-on stuff.  I wear the armored jacket, pants, and gloves all the time.  And always remember the two basic rules for motorcycles:  1.  Don't fall down and 2.  Everyone else on the road is trying to kill you.

• Like 4

I'm just lame! If I were that worried about injury, I wouldn't bother to ride and be uncomfortable and hot. The pavement heat is bad enough! But then I'm one of those " biker types".;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Too hot in Texas for that extra add-on stuff.  I wear the armored jacket, pants, and gloves all the time.  And always remember the two basic rules for motorcycles:  1.  Don't fall down and 2.  Everyone else on the road is trying to kill you.

I bought one of those jackets that Adventure Bike riders wear. I was trying to find something cooler than my heavy leather jacket. 
It was in the upper 90’s. I made it about a mile on a street with lights designed to stop me at every intersection. 
I turned around and went back to the store. Luckily I was able to return it for full price (I didn’t remove the tags).

I bought it because the guy showed me all the openings all over the jacket to help keep you cool. 
All the openings did zero good because the jacket pressed against me negating the air flow that was supposed occur while riding. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I bought one of those jackets that Adventure Bike riders wear. I was trying to find something cooler than my heavy leather jacket. 
It was in the upper 90’s. I made it about a mile on a street with lights designed to stop me at every intersection. 
I turned around and went back to the store. Luckily I was able to return it for full price (I didn’t remove the tags).

I bought it because the guy showed me all the openings all over the jacket to help keep you cool. 
All the openings did zero good because the jacket pressed against me negating the air flow that was supposed occur while riding. 

Lots of disagreement over whether mesh gear works or not (depends on how hot it is for the evaporation to be effective)  but I wear mesh jacket and pants all summer and survive.  Better than nothing and lots better than a full leather jacket. Just have to keep hydrated..... Check out wickedstock.com.  Good quality gear at a decent price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Lots of disagreement over whether mesh gear works or not (depends on how hot it is for the evaporation to be effective)  but I wear mesh jacket and pants all summer and survive.  Better than nothing and lots better than a full leather jacket. Just have to keep hydrated..... Check out wickedstock.com.  Good quality gear at a decent price.

Oh, this wasn’t mesh gear. It was like a canvas material with “strategic air inlets” that didn’t work. :lol:

I have used the mesh jackets for years and I like them when it’s hot. They provide some protection in case of accidents as well. 

As a matter of fact last summer I bought a new mesh jacket from Clearance Lyle Gear that’s a new upgrade of their old designs. A really great jacket. 
They have right hand zippers, not girly Euro zippers. The pockets are actually useful. There is a snap to stow the collar strap and overall the fit and articulation (not sure what the term is) of the jacket is excellent. 

I got this one in white / black

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-techno-2-jacket

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Pat Riot that is the correct term, the industry uses past tense, "articulated".   Those "strategic" vents work well for fall, winter, spring, when they are thought out but it seems like some brands add them in fashionable rather than functional spots.

The best summer jacket was a mesh jacket that had scotchbrite pad looking inserts between the liner and the pads.  It allowed great airflow regardless if the wind was pushing the pad against you or sucking it away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Summertime riding in the high desert I wore a long sleeve T shirt underneath my mesh jacket. Kept 4 bottles of water between the handle bars and the windshield of my Heritage Soft tail.  Pour 1/2 a bottle down the inside of each sleeve and the evaporation kept me nice and cool. The 4 bottles would last long enough to keep me cool between fuel stops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Summertime riding in the high desert I wore a long sleeve T shirt underneath my mesh jacket. Kept 4 bottles of water between the handle bars and the windshield of my Heritage Soft tail.  Pour 1/2 a bottle down the inside of each sleeve and the evaporation kept me nice and cool. The 4 bottles would last long enough to keep me cool between fuel stops. 

Strap a bag of ice on the handlebars, poke some holes in it and, Voila! biker air conditioning! :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Pat Riot that is the correct term, the industry uses past tense, "articulated".   Those "strategic" vents work well for fall, winter, spring, when they are thought out but it seems like some brands add them in fashionable rather than functional spots.

The best summer jacket was a mesh jacket that had scotchbrite pad looking inserts between the liner and the pads.  It allowed great airflow regardless if the wind was pushing the pad against you or sucking it away.

Thanks. 
I have a feeling the Adventure jacket I bought was more about style than function. 

A few years ago I met some guys that rode Adventure bikes at a roadside stop. It was a hot day with a breeze so it was comfortable in the gear I was wearing cargo pants, boots, tee shirt, leather jacket, helmet and gloves. 
All 4 of the Adv bikes were wearing gear and clothing made for adventure riding. Two of the guys took off their jackets and looked cool and comfortable. The other two looked like drowned rats. Tee shirts were soaked with sweat. They didn’t look comfortable at all. 
I commented that it was odd that two of them looked like they had a good day of riding and other two, not so much. One of the guys commented that the two guys that were all hot and sweaty bought cheap riding gear. 

• Like 3