SASS Wire Forum

Opinions from people who like Lightnings wanted

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Long time readers of the Wire know I am something a "Lightning guy" and that I have had good luck with the AWA version of the gun.

I found this on Gunbroker, and while it is intriguing, I feel that it's over priced.   Maybe if it was better condition, but it seems to be pretty scuffed up.  At least, that's what I think I see as some of the pics are out of focus.

For those who like the Lightning in general, and the AWA in specific, do you agree with my assessment that the asking price is too high this one?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1000465701

I am absolutely enamored of Lightnings.  When the Evening thunder Storms come rolling through, I have a Covered Side Patio and a covered Back Patio/Deck just perfect to sit and watch the Lightnings.  Totally fascinating.  Right up until the rain starts coming through Horizontally.  Then I give up the outside viewing.  :D 

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Maybe if it was better condition, but it seems to be pretty scuffed up.  At least, that's what I think I see as some of the pics are out of focus.

For those who like the Lightning in general, and the AWA in specific, do you agree with my assessment that the asking price is too high this one?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1000465701

For a 45 Colt, a little high. If it were a 44-40, maybe OK.

However, I would insist on a trial period to assure that it functions properly to warrant the price.

I feel like I'm owed something just to look at the pictures of that!  If it were in better condition, yes, the price is near what I think they're worth.  Some of the condition is difficult to ascertain with the blurry photos.  

Never buy a firearm off GunBroker with blurry photos.  If someone is asking $1000 for an item the least they can do is take decent photos. Tells me they are hiding something.

19 hours ago, Griff said:

I feel like I'm owed something just to look at the pictures of that!  If it were in better condition, yes, the price is near what I think they're worth.  Some of the condition is difficult to ascertain with the blurry photos.  

Tell you what, Griff.

If ever we are gonna be at a big shoot at the same time, let me know, and I'll be sure to let you fire my Lightning Bolt and my Big Iron.  

I'll be at Guns of August in Ohio next weekend...

LightningBolt.thumb.JPG.fe6a1bafbb02700840b1264b3f8232c6.JPG

BigIron.jpg.2adfd9facf3d1a42173f901bac393d92.jpg

I have a Taurus lightning in stainless, 45 colt. 

Like new in the box. I say like new because it does not appear to have been fired. It hasthe Taurus slam fire ability, but I have not fired it.

PM for pics and possible sale.

Fox

2 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I say like new because it does not appear to have been fired. It hasthe Taurus slam fire ability, but I have not fired it.

Taurus's work really well as long as you do not fire them.

48 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I still have hope. I will be conversing with Lassiter at EOT. Hope to make a smooth functional rifle put of it. 

I have a 38 Taurus Thunderbolt worked on by Lassiter and have loved it so far, very smooth.

In answer to the original post, the price is too high. I have an AWA in .45 colt and used to love to shoot it because it worked. Had an accidental discharge and broke several parts which are no longer available. Sent it to Lassiter who kept it forever (months) and wouldn't give me a time when it would be returned. I bothered him so much he sent it back to me untouched and a COD charge of $50.00 dollars for his trouble. I finally bought a Pedersoli in 44-40 and slicked it up using Roger Rapid's instructions. It works great so far with no problems. I love to shoot the Lightning,

Lucky :D

I would ask for clear pictures as it does appear to have chew marks next to the receiver, some on butt stock, faded finish on butt plate and the bolt is dirty or rusty. OTH, it is a numbered gun (142 of 500), has engraving on receiver that is more than standard and has fancy wood grain. Caliber desirability is dependent on a buyer. Of most importance is whether the gun works as intended without parts or gunsmithing.

I was once told that a Taurus price for gunsmithing was double that of AWA or Pedersoli.

If you think the gun is overpriced, that is your answer.

Lightning  ?

I thought this was about Shootin  Irons :blink:

21 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I still have hope. I will be conversing with Lassiter at EOT. Hope to make a smooth functional rifle put of it. 

Lassiter has done some work for me on Colts and AWA's when something internal broke.   Fixed 'em up with no problems.  I've met him a few times in person, and he's a great guy.   He's got a reputation for being able to make a Taurus work, and he's actually working on one of those for me at this time.  

Good luck!

Getting back to my original post, on the one hand, I recognize that it is a "special" configuration, which is what made me interested.   .45 Colt and .44-40 are both okay with me, so that was not a factor.   What was putting me off was all the "chew marks."  I'm feeling it's too much of an asking price.  I don't mind some minor scratches, but these just look a little too much for me.

Thanks for the commentary everyone.   It helped me make up my mind.

Archived