SASS Wire Forum

New powder?

ORNERY OAF

I got that email from Powder Valley too.  This is the description of Perfect Pattern:

Perfect Pattern is a fast-burning, flattened, spherical shotshell powder designed for light and extra-light field and target loads for the 12-gauge shotgun.

Its geometry and density results in excellent ignition, superb metering and low charge weights that deliver consistent patterns with mild report and low recoil.

Seem like it could be good.

Their descriptions are pretty close to the same for both powders. Will be interesting to see how they do since I can't find Clays around here.

Hodgdon High Gun Smokeless Shotshell Powder

Description

High Gun is a flattened, spherical shotshell powder designed for light-target, handicap and super handicap loads in a 12-gauge shotgun.

This powder also closely duplicates Remington Nitro 27 factory loads.

High Gun’s geometry results in a powder that meters consistently, has excellent ignition and burns clean enough to throw uniform patterns clay after clay.

High-Gun-Data.png

Hodgdon Perfect Pattern Smokeless Shotshell Powder

Description

Perfect Pattern is a fast-burning, flattened, spherical shotshell powder designed for light and extra-light field and target loads for the 12-gauge shotgun.

Its geometry and density results in excellent ignition, superb metering and low charge weights that deliver consistent patterns with mild report and low recoil.

Perfect-Pattern.png

TM

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here's my first loading and test firing results using Perfect Pattern.

Loaded a box of test shells (sporting clays target load: STS hull, Win 209 primer, 16.1 grains Perfect Pattern, CB-8100 wad (tgt12 clone) and 1 ounce lead shot).  These came out very nice in "several-time-fired" hulls. The load came right off the Hodgdon on-line database.

Powder appearance - dark gray with metallic sheen, as if heavily graphited. Granule size very similar in diameter and shape to WST or Competition. In other words, in as fine a granule size as smokeless power is normally produced.

Density seems to be between TiteGroup (dense, 0.085 VMD) and TiteWad (more fluffy, 0.130 VMD). Needed a #354 powder bushing to drop 16.1 grains in my Hornady 366 loader and my cycle stroke. I estimate the VMD (CC per grain) for PP is about 0.096.

So, although Hodgdon lists almost exactly the same load data for TiteWad and Perfect Pattern in 1 ounce target loads I checked, the density seems quite a bit denser than TW is. But there was usually 0.1 or 0.2 grains difference in recipe powder weight, as if they had retested PP like it were a new formulation.

All 25 rounds fired perfectly. (Pun is provided free of charge.)  Muzzle velocity and recoil seemed in line with 1200 FPS 1 ounce loads that I usually load for sporting clays. No off sounds. Broke birds well.  Powder burned very well and left little ash or unburned particles.

Did not find much powder leakage from the loader.   Some static cling of the powder granules to plastic parts was noticed, but not enough to stop me from using this powder.

I have not yet explored loading a 3/4 ounce, low velocity load like many cowboys want to shoot for matches.  I don't have an immediate need for cowboy shotshells right now, as my inventory is probably two years at my current cowboy shooting rate.   Hodgdon as far as I know from database searches has not yet published ANY loads for less than 1 ounce of lead shot in 12 gauge loads.   So, a wide open playground there!

good luck, GJ

how does it compare to clays or red dot as far as burn rate or metering ? those are what have been my go tos so far , im interested in having more options as some of the others that compared well are hard to find these days , 

Meters like WST - very precisely.   A little bit of static cling to plastic tools.   Burn rate has just been published by Hodgdon - find them on this page, click Burn Rates

https://www.hodgdon.com/resources/data-sheets/

It's in a group that includes e3, TiteWad, Red Dot.   Faster than Clays.   Haven't tried it in light cartridge loads yet and have not seen Hodgdon publish any data for handgun cartridge loading yet.

good luck, GJ

On 6/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Meters like WST - very precisely

Wst is my goto for everything smokeless cowboy wise. I'd be stoked to find another powder that works well in 45acp, 357, and 12ga. Let us know what you figure out for metal cartridge loads.

Doubt I'll be motivated to do a lot with Perfect Pattern other than sporting clays shotshell loads.  I'll let Hodgdon or some cowboys take the time to make up some gallery type loads for matches.  I use WST or Bullseye for my pistol cartridge loading.  And both are such good powders I have little to search about for replacements.

Just remember, Trail Boss was a real niche powder, and you see how much interest ADI and Hodgdon have in keeping niche powders alive when the market goes crazy.  Clays was so popular/useful the militaries of the world co-opted it for artillery shells.  I'd bet on the big market powders myself, and Perfect Pattern has not proved YET that it is real good at more than 12 gauge target shotshells.

good luck, GJ

I just received this email from Hodgdon.

Hello Danny, The High Gun powder is Titegroup with a shotshell name, we felt it was often overlooked for shotshell use even though it is excellent for that. Perfect pattern is however a new powder of its own.

Thank you

Luke Otte

Customer Service Manager

Hodgdon Powder Co.

6430 vista dr.

Shawnee, Ks 66218

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2     thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=3  thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=4

Just like there's not much published Red Dot data for 20 gauge,  I would not expect any large amount of 20 gauge data to be put out.  PP is too fast a powder for most.  But, since cowboy loads are so light, we may see some later when Hodgdon or cowboys themselves get down to working on such gallery type loads.

good luck, GJ

It's still hard to beat unique. 

It can do everything. 

This looks very promising. 

So Saith The Rooster 

14 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Just like there's not much published Red Dot data for 20 gauge,  

I have read in more than a few places that Red Dot is not safe for 20 gauge, it creates too much pressure on the smaller bore or something along those lines.

I did find a load using Blue Dot that worked quite well in my Stevens pump gun, but proved to be a painful thumper in my recently acquired Parker.   I'm eager to find a load that will work and not hurt so much!

16 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Any data for 20 gauge?

Red dot is too fast for most 20ga loads.  Perfect pattern looks faster than red dot based on loads posted, closer to extra lite.  I would guess also too fast for 20 ga.  

I have read in more than a few places that Red Dot is not safe for 20 gauge, it creates too much pressure

Seems like I said that earlier, that Red Dot and PP are too fast a powder for 20 gauge.  Why is this a surprise?

Archived