SASS Wire Forum

MEC bushing storage

Vail Vigilante

Well if you are like me you never have the right bushing or you don’t know where it is and there’s not another in a 300 mile radius. So I broke down and put in a big order. But I wanted to organize them. I didn’t care for any of the commercial options so I got some dowels some scrap wood I’ve been saving and revved up the ShopSmith. This was the result. Thought I would pass it on it might inspire others and when my order gets here each one will have a specific place.

F5F97DE3-BD1D-4361-B8FF-6516BA53D361.jpeg

Nice job!

Looks nice. 
my storage procedure is a Ziplock in the gallon freezer version. Sits on a shelf ready to go. 
I don’t change bushings often so it works for me. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I keep mine in one of those plastic drawer thingies. Used #28 when I first got my MEC. Then got the adjustable charge bar! Haven't touched the single bushings since. But keep em just in case, ya know!

5 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Just drop them through the hole in the bench...NO PROBLEM

Imis ( I commend your efforts)

Yeah that hole is bad but it on the list to plug.  When I find that size dowel or turn one to size.

Nice idea, but for ME it takes up too much room.  I organize mine plastic boxes with compartment for each (have 2 of some)  Bushing chart in the lid.  Another box for bullet sizer/ lube dies.   Plus box keeps everything clean.        Running out of room, have to organize.       GW

Likewise, I use a plastic compartment box for my 40 or so powder and shot bushings.   I use a large fishing lure flat plastic box.  Keep bushings in a particular range in each compartment, and only have to look among those five for the bushing I need.  Since I only change a bushing once a year or so, it's no big deal.  And, it's spill-proof and dust resistant when stored.   Big plusses.

But I like your wood working!  GJ

Adjustable Charge bar is the way to go. I have the ones originally made by Multi-Scale. Unfortunately they are no longer being manufactured. 

For those that have single stage MEC presses, Ballistics Products now makes one. Currently they do not have one for the progressive MEC machines.

Adjusta-Drop Charge Bar (single-stage)

36 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Currently they do not have one for the progressive MEC machines.

And that's all I use from the MEC line.  

And no hope for a Hornady 366 loader, either.   So, no, adjustable bars are NOT the way I can go.   But I do have one on a Mec 600 that I no longer use.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

And that's all I use from the MEC line.  

And no hope for a Hornady 366 loader, either.   So, no, adjustable bars are NOT the way I can go.   But I do have one on a Mec 600 that I no longer use.

good luck, GJ

Watch ebay, Gun Broker and Craigs list. Occasionally they will show up on those sites. Last one I got was in a used press. Bought the press removed the adjustable bar. I then resold the press for almost what I paid for it.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Watch ebay, Gun Broker and Craigs list. Occasionally they will show up on those sites. Last one I got was in a used press. Bought the press removed the adjustable bar. I then resold the press for almost what I paid for it.

You didn't read carefully.   I have an adjustable bar.  I just don't want to use the 600 press that it's on.   And I no longer like using the Grabber either.   Much happier loading shotshells on a Hornady 366. 

:lol:  GJ

About 8 or more years ago, when Cabelas still had a decent selection of reloading equipment and supplies, I found this Universal Charge Bar that works on my Mec 650 progressive. As the header says, it’s supposed work on Mec 9000 and Grabber. 

I tried it for awhile, but found it required too much fiddling to keep it working smoothly on my 30+ year old Mec. I don’t load that many recipes so I decided to go back to regular charge bars and bushings which to me are faster and simpler. It resides in a drawer now. 

image.png.13817436bd00280b2049d48f1e13278e.png

Archived