SASS Wire Forum

First match experience

One Gun Jimmy

Shot my first match yesterday with The Tusco Long Riders.

First important note FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE. 

I knew it be fun and I know general gun safety so...

My first goal was to shoot with no procedural or safety infractions

Second to shoot clean

And third learn.

I achieved 2 of the 3.

No P's or safety

4 misses

Learned a great deal.

18 shooters on a day of, we can call  "decent weather" for March in Ohio.

I showed up early to help set up and start having conversations and learn. Everybody was very thankful and willing to show me the ropes and give advice. 

I was loaned a gun cart from the club and leather from Frontier Lone Rider since mine is still being made...big thanks again for this this!!!

First stage clean

Miss on Second

Miss on third

Miss on fourth times 2

Fifth stage clean with a no powder load out of a factory Remington STS green hull

Six stage clean

365 total time...so won't be receiving any speeding tickets but I had a blast!!!

I finished first in my category because I'm an absolute natural......OR because I was the only person in that category...I will never tell But my 17th overall might be a clue hahaha.

Thanks. Again to all that attended and made the experience a great one, look forward to many years of enjoyment from this sport.

20230305_112132.jpg

The Tusco bunch is a fine group of cowboys. Looking forward to meeting you. 

Good job! 
come on down to S Texas any 2nd Saturday & shoot with the Texas Riviera Pistoleros!

I believe that we all remember our 1st match.  I know I do... Indelibly etched in long term memory!  I showed up thinking I was prepared... Was I mistaken!  But, most importantly, just like the match I attended today... enjoyed a great day with some of the finest folks around!  (For which I was woefully ill-prepared again)!  Glad you didn't put it off any longer.  Glad you had a great time in nearly the best time that can be had with clothes on!  

27 minutes ago, Griff said:

I believe that we all remember our 1st match.  I know I do... Indelibly etched in long term memory!  I showed up thinking I was prepared... Was I mistaken!  But, most importantly, just like the match I attended today... enjoyed a great day with some of the finest folks around!  (For which I was woefully ill-prepared again)!  Glad you didn't put it off any longer.  Glad you had a great time in nearly the best time that can be had with clothes on!  

It will be crazy to look back and say..I remember my first match 30years ago to some young kid looking to get in the sport....but I look forward to the journey, one match at a time.

It was great to see you having a fun time.  They say you come to shoot a match, but return to have fun with the great people.

We are always glad to help out a shooter.   Yes, my leather worked for you, but at least three others had leather for you to try.  Plus, Bubba said you could just post the firearms in order to shoot.

I hope to see you again next month.

Frontier Lone Rider

2 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

It was great to see you having a fun time.  They say you come to shoot a match, but return to have fun with the great people.

We are always glad to help out a shooter.   Yes, my leather worked for you, but at least three others had leather for you to try.  Plus, Bubba said you could just post the firearms in order to shoot.

I hope to see you again next month.

Frontier Lone Rider

Absolutely!! Bubba let me stage to get started then once it was noticed i didnt have any I basically had leather thrown at me from all sides haha...Frontier you even let me wear your main rig because it fit better over the spare set...truly above the call to duty for a new shorter!!!

I'm really honored to start being apart of the regular group and hope I can pay it forward in the future.

See you in April!!

1 hour ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

...truly above the call to duty for a new shorter!!!

Always want to help them new "shorters" :D:P:P

Welcome  Im glad you had a great time. Follow Seamus to Tennessee the first weekend of June for a GREAT State Match, in the beautiful rolling hills of Middle Tennessee. Lack of experience is no excuse to miss this much fun.

Imis

It was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday! It was very refreshing having a new shooter there as excited as you were. From your excitement to shooting to your willingness to help setup and tear down. You fit in very well! I look forward to having you as a "regular" at Tusco. Hopefully Howes didn't corrupt you too much!!! Haha..

Like I said, let me know if you have any questions or if you need anything!

6 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

It was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday! It was very refreshing having a new shooter there as excited as you were. From your excitement to shooting to your willingness to help setup and tear down. You fit in very well! I look forward to having you as a "regular" at Tusco. Hopefully Howes didn't corrupt you too much!!! Haha..

Like I said, let me know if you have any questions or if you need anything!

Haha Howes didn't corrupt me...he spent to much time confusing himself on round count hahaha!!!

.appreciate all the help already given and looking forward to the next one!!

• 2 weeks later...

im happy to hear you had fun , thats why i do it , im still working on that clean shoot after years/decade  of attempting it , im still getting that "P" once in a while - ive not had a safety issue yet , but i have had gun malfunctions , its all worth it , just a brunch of fun combined with some shooting and frustrations that go away at the campfire , and a lot of great folks to share it all with , 

Reminds me of my first match, although I had WAY more misses! 

Welcome to the game, very nice to hear you arrived early and helped, that shows, to me, you want to learn and help.  Both great things all clubs could use new shooters like you! 

On 3/5/2023 at 4:43 PM, Griff said:

First match both long guns were new to me, and no time to even test fire them before the first stage. AND, Sidekick was on my posse. I’m watching this guy and thinking, ok, sub 15 second stages is how this works, maybe I picked the wrong shooting sport.

Archived