SASS Wire Forum

Case separation

Hoss

How to turn a 23 second stage into a 123 second stage! That’s a handy tool for sure!  I did not have a good match shooting wise, but had a great day shooting with friends. Weather was chilly but really nice 

5530ADD7-F4E9-4F3D-AA3C-F2C6EE5D16C0.thumb.jpeg.b72daca0026c3c8683c86e80e88e10a4.jpeg

Glad it worked for you, Hoss.  Didn't work for me the one time I tried it (as described in recent thread on the subject).   Good thing it was just a monthly! :)

Bad Bascomb, have you used it on the clock to try to save misses?

I know some folks (usually people who have experienced the problem) refuse to use cannelured brass.  I haven't gone that far but when I dump my 20 rounds on the loading table I do try to pick out the ones with cannelures and load them into the pistols first. 

In 50 years of reloading I've never seen a cannelure that far from the case mouth.  Nearly every case separation I've seen well below the mouth, if not right at the case head.  Usually at the transition from the wall to web.  Most likely culprits are simple metal fatigue due to "working", corrosion or bad karma!:o

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

In 50 years of reloading I've never seen a cannelure that far from the case mouth.  Nearly every case separation I've seen well below the mouth, if not right at the case head.  Usually at the transition from the wall to web.  Most likely culprits are simple metal fatigue due to "working", corrosion or bad karma!:o

Different manufacturer's place the cannelure in different locations. I've noticed some is very faint and hard to see. I don't use it in my rifle, I've seen multiple separations.

20 minutes ago, Griff said:

Hoss' example above maybe less likely to be a cannelure because it separated at an angle.  But people with more experience than me seem to suspect cannelures, so I'm just going by that.  This brass is R-P:

cannelure.jpg

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hoss' example above maybe less likely to be a cannelure because it separated at an angle.  But people with more experience than me seem to suspect cannelures, so I'm just going by that.  This brass is R-P:

cannelure.jpg

The ones I've seen like that were over 50 years old and used large pistol primers.  

:ph34r:  Have not yet had the problem.  Don't want it, either......

But if I do have such a misfortune, I hope to have the presence of mind to NOT try to forcefully lever another round into the reduced-diameter chamber in the 'heat of the moment'.......  and to then employ that ingenious device to save my bacon.

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

How to turn a 23 second stage into a 123 second stage! That’s a handy tool for sure!  I did not have a good match shooting wise, but had a great day shooting with friends. Weather was chilly but really nice 

5530ADD7-F4E9-4F3D-AA3C-F2C6EE5D16C0.thumb.jpeg.b72daca0026c3c8683c86e80e88e10a4.jpeg

Just picked up one from Roy’s Creek Dan yesterday at our monthly shoot, yep made by Boogie. 

A friend had a 38 spec separate in his 92.   Unfotunately, he ran the next round in oushing the broken stub into the dirty 357 part of the chamber.  Took a week of soaking before it finally came out.   Cleaning the whole chamber regularly can make a big difference!       GW

21 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I know some folks (usually people who have experienced the problem) refuse to use cannelured brass.  I haven't gone that far but when I dump my 20 rounds on the loading table I do try to pick out the ones with cannelures and load them into the pistols first. 

I’m one of those people. I had so many issues loading mixed headstamp brass that I began sorting by headstamp. (I bought a LOT of mixed brass when I first started offering cartridges)…. Even before that I would scrap the cannelure brass… I can make my “own issues” without asking for freak occurrences! :D

Hugs!

Scarlett

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I’m one of those people. I had so many issues loading mixed headstamp brass that I began sorting by headstamp. (I bought a LOT of mixed brass when I first started offering cartridges)…. Even before that I would scrap the cannelure brass… I can make my “own issues” without asking for freak occurrences! :D

Hugs!

Scarlett

Some months ago I bought a bunch of used brass from the Classifieds, and every one had a cannelure!  So I'm thinking that's why the guy sold them.  But I'm still loading all manner of mixed brass, just minimizing what I put into the rifle.  The only separation I had since '99 was actually somebody else's ammo when a guy's rifle broke and he borrowed mine for the last stage.  If I was a top contender, I'd probably do differently though.

15 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Some months ago I bought a bunch of used brass from the Classifieds, and every one had a cannelure!  So I'm thinking that's why the guy sold them.  But I'm still loading all manner of mixed brass, just minimizing what I put into the rifle.  The only separation I had since '99 was actually somebody else's ammo when a guy's rifle broke and he borrowed mine for the last stage.  If I was a top contender, I'd probably do differently though.

I figure I’d have been ok if I had NOT been told about the possibility! :P But since I KNOW what could go wrong…I’m covering my bases! Like I said, I can get in my own way all by myself! :ph34r:

Hugs!

Scarlett

I have probably 50% Starline, 50% mixed. I try at annuals to use only Starline in rifle. 
for LR I’ll order another 500 Starline and use new brass. 

Not sure what this particular head stamp was. Never found the other 1/3 of the case. I don’t think it was cannalured tho. 

Archived