SASS Wire Forum

D-Day, German Version Of Events

Subdeacon Joe

The video mentions the Bay of Biscay a few times.  Bay of Biscay is on the Atlantic coast of France, north of Spain and south of the Cotentin Peninsula, aka Cherbourg Peninsula.

As a further map reference, American troops who landed at Utah beach, the westernmost of the landing beaches, first had the mission of moving west and eliminating the Germans from the Cotentin Peninsula, while the Brits and Canadians moved Eastward toward Germany.

The view from the other side is always interesting. Almost everyone always assumes they are on the “good side”. I’ve always found the different points of view around the country of our civil war interesting. A couple of years ago I went to the park in Stone Mountain Ga, the perspective presented there isn’t like anything you would see in the northern part of the US. It’s always good to see the other side of things. 
https://www.stonemountainpark.com

Here are two that I have on my Kindle:

D-Day Through German Eyes: The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944

D-Day Through German Eyes: More Hidden Stories of June 6th 1944

I have other books that tell the experiences of both Japanese and Germans during WWII.  It's interesting seeing the perspectives of the other side from low ranking enlisted all the way up to senior officers.  

43 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Here are two that I have on my Kindle:

D-Day Through German Eyes: The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944

D-Day Through German Eyes: More Hidden Stories of June 6th 1944

I have other books that tell the experiences of both Japanese and Germans during WWII.  It's interesting seeing the perspectives of the other side from low ranking enlisted all the way up to senior officers.  

Yes, it most definitely IS interesting!
I read the account of the Japanese ace, Saburo Sakai.

Written in the simple declarative sentence, no literary fluorises or artifice, this was the plain spoken account of a fighter pilot flying for the Rising Sun.
I don't recall the name of his work but it was most interesting, and a very good read!

10 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Yes, it most definitely IS interesting!
I read the account of the Japanese ace, Saburo Sakai.

Written in the simple declarative sentence, no literary fluorises or artifice, this was the plain spoken account of a fighter pilot flying for the Rising Sun.
I don't recall the name of his work but it was most interesting, and a very good read!

The title of his book is "Samurai!"

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The view from the other side is always interesting. Almost everyone always assumes they are on the “good side”. I’ve always found the different points of view around the country of our civil war interesting. A couple of years ago I went to the park in Stone Mountain Ga, the perspective presented there isn’t like anything you would see in the northern part of the US. It’s always good to see the other side of things. 
https://www.stonemountainpark.com

Not sure what you mean by a 'different perspective' here in this park; I've never seen anything here to challenge or contradict the true history of the war. It's not actually true that the South is still fighting the Civil War. It might be interesting to hear your perspective of our perspective :-)

Ornery Cuss

2 hours ago, Ornery Cuss, SASS # 76071 said:

Not sure what you mean by a 'different perspective' here in this park; I've never seen anything here to challenge or contradict the true history of the war. It's not actually true that the South is still fighting the Civil War. It might be interesting to hear your perspective of our perspective :-)

Ornery Cuss

When I was watching the films they have in the theater they have there. It was a far different perspective than you would get up north. I remember one of the films was when Sherman sacked Atlanta. The film there portrayed Sherman as the bad guy and the Confederate forces as the hero’s . That same educational type of piece in the north would portray Sherman as the hero and the Confederate forces as the bad guy . So far different perspectives of the same occurrence.

I never thought anyone was still fighting the war and if my family was from Atlanta in that time period I’m sure I would have been taught a far different version of General Sherman than I got from a history class in a Michigan school. 
My grandmother was Lee and her great, great etc … grandfather was Robert E Lees dad. So when I was in grade school we had to do a report on a great American hero . I did my report on Robert E Lee . My Michigan school teacher accepted it but didn’t like it . Lee is revered in the south but not so much in the north . I’m also betting there’s been a few southern HS teachers that didn’t paint Grant in a favorable light. Just as Sherman wasn’t at Stone Mountain. 
Im not assigning any blame here . We are all somewhat products of our environment.

One only needs to look at the perspective of the Korean War from the Chinese or North Korean side to see how one side likes to make history suit their narrative. Both countries teach their people that it was the US who invaded North Korea, not the other way around. Of course they fail to explain how we managed to do it when we only had a token peacekeeping force inside the country at the start of the war.

22 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

We are all somewhat products of our environment.

And that is often the problem.

17 hours ago, Ornery Cuss, SASS # 76071 said:

Buckshot, thanks for your measured and, I concede, totally correct assessment. But remember, all I know about the Civil War I learned in a documentary I saw in school, the name of which was "Gone With The Wind". :P

Everything I learned about the Vietnam War was from reading books and watching documentaries long after I graduated high school. They never even talked about it in history class. They sure dedicated a lot of time to the Holocaust and the civil rights movement though.

8 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And that is often the problem.

Some people are lucky to make it out of the situation they are born in to . And others have everything given to them. Everyone has their challenges 

are all somewhat products of our environment.

I remember after the Battle of Hue both Life Magazine and Peking Review published the same photograph of Marines behind a tank.  The caption in Life was something like"Marines take shelter from sniper fire." Peking Review caption it "Running dogs cower behind a tank to save their skins." 

When I was watching the films they have in the theater they have there. It was a far different perspective than you would get up north. I remember one of the films was when Sherman sacked Atlanta. The film there portrayed Sherman as the bad guy and the Confederate forces as the hero’s . That same educational type of piece in the north would portray Sherman as the hero and the Confederate forces as the bad guy . So far different perspectives of the same occurrence.

I never thought anyone was still fighting the war and if my family was from Atlanta in that time period I’m sure I would have been taught a far different version of General Sherman than I got from a history class in a Michigan school. 
My grandmother was Lee and her great, great etc … grandfather was Robert E Lees dad. So when I was in grade school we had to do a report on a great American hero . I did my report on Robert E Lee . My Michigan school teacher accepted it but didn’t like it . Lee is revered in the south but not so much in the north . I’m also betting there’s been a few southern HS teachers that didn’t paint Grant in a favorable light. Just as Sherman wasn’t at Stone Mountain. 
Im not assigning any blame here . We are all somewhat products of our environment.

I don't hear about anyone trying to erase history of the Union cause during the Civil War. The history of the Confederate cause has not been as fortunate. 

Certain "groups" have tried to have Stone Mountain destroyed. Why? I know why.

Victors have the privilege of writing history as they see it, the vanquished do not. The heroic tales of Sherman's "burning of Atlanta" don't seem to include the starvation of the normal, everyday folks...you know, the ones that have no idea why their life has gone from a hard life as it is, to a life that is almost impossible to live.

After the war, life in the South got infinitely worse, bet you didn't hear about that up North.

I'm proud of my Southern heritage. I'm proud that my family members fought, and died, for a cause that they believed in. I'm proud that the Union had folks that fought and died for a cause that they believed in also. 

I'm an American. I'm also a Southerner who doesn't need a "re-education".

44 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I don't hear about anyone trying to erase history of the Union cause during the Civil War. The history of the Confederate cause has not been as fortunate. 

Certain "groups" have tried to have Stone Mountain destroyed. Why? I know why.

Victors have the privilege of writing history as they see it, the vanquished do not. The heroic tales of Sherman's "burning of Atlanta" don't seem to include the starvation of the normal, everyday folks...you know, the ones that have no idea why their life has gone from a hard life as it is, to a life that is almost impossible to live.

After the war, life in the South got infinitely worse, bet you didn't hear about that up North.

I'm proud of my Southern heritage. I'm proud that my family members fought, and died, for a cause that they believed in. I'm proud that the Union had folks that fought and died for a cause that they believed in also. 

I'm an American. I'm also a Southerner who doesn't need a "re-education".

Your right about the victors writing history. Because of my grandma being a Lee I always took a interest in Light Horse Harry Lee “who she was related to” and Robert E Lee . My understanding is he was offered Grants job before it was offered to Grant . Seeing as the North had far more resources than the south I think it would have been the easy way out to accept the job . But he stuck with his state and I guess you would say his people, despite the disadvantages of that decision. And to me that’s something that deserves respect. But I can tell you right now many people in the north simply see him as a traitor. So I’m back to that products of our environment. 
I seem to have gotten a few peoples hackles up with this and it’s not my intention, I just find it interesting seeing as what I was taught as a youngster in a Michigan history class and what I was taught by the Lee family. And that the views are still so different after all these years in the same country. 
If this is still going on here imagine the difference between what a American and Japanese are taught about the US nuking Japan. I know I agree with what Truman did but I doubt many Japanese do. 
Im petty sure allot of British citizens still consider everyone in the US traitors. It’s all a matter of perspective. 

Oh and they are trying to erase the history of the Union also. For the period of the civil war Grant gets hero status but as soon as he comes up with the plan to wipe out the American Indians the woke want to demonize him and or wipe him from the face of history. And as far as the atrocity’s Sherman committed in Atlanta, he did and so did the Confederacy during the war.  It was a nasty war with wicked things done by both sides. I can’t think of a war where things like that don’t happen. I think it’s great to see the two different perspectives , it’s the only way to get the whole story. 

And in true Saloon fashion we have meandered across two continents and two centuries within a few posts.:D

2 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Civil War, WW2, Korean War, and Vietnam. Did we miss anything in 20 posts including mine?

Span-Am fracas. :D

WWI, the Banana republic interventions, the Philippines (Moros) and probably a couple of countries that we didn't even know we were in?

Of course victors "write the history", because they won. 

Victory ends arguments. You don't have to persuade the other side; the argument is won on the battlefield. So, while the histories written by the defeated can offer insights, they can't get around the verdict.

Folks often say that you can't win arguments, but they confuse winning arguments with persuading the "other side". But winning an argument is persuading the tribunal. Be it a court or jury, or a war.

In the case of the American Civil War, the interesting discussions go on. But the argument was settled long ago.

Archived