SASS Wire Forum

Seeking advice and wisdom from our resident piano experts....

When Ms Helen Brimstone was a wee lass she showed an interest in music.  Her family had an old upright piano, and she delighted in trying to plunk out tunes.  So, quite naturally, they started her in piano lessons at about age four.

Her parents and teacher encouraged her, and she did well!   Mom and Dad would take her to recitals and concerts, which she thoroughly enjoyed; when she was about eight or so, after a Philippe Entremont concert,  she was taken backstage to meet the then-young maestro.  He too encouraged the youngster to study hard, and she left filled with enthusiasm. 

As her skills progressed, she often focused on pieces from Entremont’s performances; some of her favorites (which she eventually played quite well indeed!) included Chopin preludes, Liszt’s La Companella, Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition, the entire Greig A Minor Concerto, and much, much more. 

The girl was good!

But back to the meat of the matter:  When she was ten years old, Mom and Dad decided that she needed an upgrade from the old upright.  So, being good parents, they bought her a new instrument – a Steinway Model “M,” which served her well indeed.

Needless to say, she loved the piano, and enjoyed it for many years – even after it was “personalized” by her then two-year old son, who put a few dents in the ebony with a small hammer. 

Now, there’s an affinity between musical and mathematical aptitudes – somewhat disappointing her folks, she did not pursue a musical career; rather, she eventually became an engineer, working in the aerospace industry.  Of course, she has always loved music… but life happens.

In this case, with career and family necessitated relocations, about twenty years ago her wonderful Model “M” had to be placed in storage.  Where it remains today, in a hopefully temperature and humidity controlled environment.

Well, her son is now thirty-six, doing well in his own career, and starting his own family.  And he has a strong interest in resurrecting Mom’s old piano….

But Mom, Ms Brimstone herself, is very apprehensive (almost terrified!) to learn what effect the years of being idled may have had on the instrument. 

So, the question to our experts:  Can this piano have a future?  What might she and her son expect if they have it moved to the young man’s house?  What might it take to make it playable again?  And… possible costs?

I know I’ve been ‘way too wordy, but thanks – and input is appreciated!

image.jpeg.79bb44780cb2c68bab39876b2c6a70e3.jpeg                     

image.thumb.jpeg.bf59947d0dc7b21ee46e1530a5cc1f17.jpeg

I'm not an expert, but yes, yes it can.  It depends on condition and how it's aged.  Obviously repairs can get pricey, but it might be worth it.  You'll need to get an evaluation and estimate on what it will take to bring it back into shape.

All it takes is money.

Rye Miles might be the guy to answer your questions. I believe he repairs them and tunes them.

13 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Rye Miles might be the guy to answer your questions. I believe he repairs them and tunes them.

I hope @Rye Miles #13621 "tunes in!"  ^_^

Embrace the estranged instrument into the family at long last.  Applaud enthusiastically when she plays it. Hell, we are all deaf anyway.  Why not??

Where is the piano located?  I know a very good piano tuner and Steinway rebuild person here in the Fresno-Clovis area.  If it is helpful, I can PM you his contact info-- if the instrument is local.   I am sure he can give you a general idea what to expect via phone at no cost. 

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Where is the piano located?  I know a very good piano tuner and Steinway rebuild person here in the Fresno-Clovis area.  If it is helpful, I can PM you his contact info-- if the instrument is local.   I am sure he can give you a general idea what to expect via phone at no cost. 

Dale, that would be very much appreciated!  :)

22 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Dale, that would be very much appreciated!  :)

I will dig out his contact info and text it to you.  He's an old guy who tunes by perfect pitch and who has 50+ yrs experience repairing Steinways-- even in places like Carnegie Hall. I am just hoping he has survived through the last couple years of C19.  Watch your text messages.  

With any luck (as others have mentioned) depending on how it was stored and how well humidity and temperature were controlled, a Steinway M grand may have weathered the storage fairly well.

It will take a competant technician, as the one mentioned by Dusty Devil Dale, to evaluate the piano.  Steinways are high quality pianos.  The model M is under 6 ft piano and would fit in most houses.

New ones are NOT CHEAP and having an older one completely rebuilt by an experienced Steinway technician is a worthwhile course of action.

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I hope @Rye Miles #13621 "tunes in!"  ^_^

Yes it can be saved, it will probably need a couple tunings maybe 3 to get it up to pitch. If it's been stored in a heated and cooled environment it's probably not that bad. I think it'll be just fine. Have them get a reputable piano tuner/technician to work on it. I would suggest they call a Steinway dealer to recommend someone. They're could be some sticking keys due to humidity and being in storage but that can be remedied fairly easily.

Steinways are like Colts somewhat, they don't lose value and they're great pianos!! 

As far as cost, tunings are anywhere from $100-$150 depending on the area and the tuner. I wish it was somewhere in NE OHIO I'd tackle it in a heartbeat!

Depending on where it's being moved from and to where it could be fairly costly. Get a reputable piano mover as well. A Steinway dealer can help them with that as well. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks, all, for your input and comments.  :)

I've shared with Ms Brimstone, and she's very encouraged - we'll be pursuing a rescue of the once grand (itty-bitty, but still "grand!") instrument.  ^_^

AND looking forward to hearing her play a real piano again!* :lol:

*She's been "making do" with a Roland keyboard.  :rolleyes:

Late to the party. As long as the sound board is undamaged, and is not otherwise deteriorated, it can probably be brought back.

Sitting for years, the strings will be very flat. It will probably take 4 or 5 tunings in the next 2 or 3 years to get the piano to hold a tune. Don't rush it, just enjoy it.

Archived